• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Walking Through the Depth Chart -- 3/21/22

SetfreexX

Hell of a time from the momnet we all heard he chose CLE over everyone else, since then there have been a flurry of transactions...let's take a look at where we are. 

Offense:

QB - Darnold / Walker -- It hurt just typing that, from Fitterer saying it'd be an ''open'' QB competition at the combine this off-season, trying to trade for Watson, to whatever is next this is obviously a glaring gap on the roster. Put me in the Cam + Willis train, Cam brings fans, fans create energy, energy helps bolster a home field. I don't think there's much out there in the way of a Minshew trade (he's not a long term answer so why trade), maybe Mariotta -- but if you go that route IMO all things considered Cam can lead the locker room. There's no one else on this roster or in FA better suited to do so, full off-season and a much improved OL and I think we can trend in the correct direction while having a successor in place. 

Backs - CMC / Hubbard / Formen / Ricci -- Speaking of hurt, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a healthy 22' season for 22. I'm not so much down on Hubbard as the forced playing time really showed the gaps in his game, in particular his receiving ability / consistency and his balance. I have never seen a guy with green ahead of him fall over and stumble for apparently no reason, hopefully he puts it together a bit more as I think he showed good vision. Foreman is something we've missed since Stewart, 230+ with enough speed to pop off chunks through contact, I'm pretty happy about this signing. I don't think Ricci is the answer, I think we see a more true FB added at some point. 

WR - Moore / Robbie / TMJ / Higgins / Smith / Zylstra -- Moore is what he is production, he's proven that and earned his extension, he only gets better with an upgrade at QB. I feel the worst for Robbie because he had gone 900 2x in a row, then over 1K with Teddy to just falling off the map with Darnold; did he have some bad moments...sure, but I think a QB change helps him return to form versus being thrown ''hospital balls'' as Smitty said. TMJ was limited with injuries, as was Shi, Zylstra is a competent depth piece with size, and Higgins is a good 3rd / 4th option. Ultimately I think we try to add another vertical threat so I'll be looking at Day 3  of the draft for a flier on a burner. 

TE - Thomas / Tremble -- All I can say is this group is ''untapped'' potential, both athletic, both can run and block with seemingly good hands when targeted. McAdoo is likely to get them both more involved in the offense, for two years we all saw this as a weakness in the Joe Brady led offense. 

OL - Christensen / TBD / Bozeman / Corbett / Moton -- Holy hell, what a far cry from the poo show we fielded last year in some some areas, while LG, and to a degree LT remain open I think most fans are relatively high on Brady at LT, though we still need depth there. With rumors surrounding Duane Brown, he'd be a great starter while BC continues his growth, or potentially slides inside to LG. Bozeman, Corbett, and Moton are all legitimate at their respective positions and allow guys like Elflein to assume a support role versus that of a starter. IOL depth is still an issue. 

Defense:

DL - Burns / Ioannidis / Brown / YGM -- This is a pretty damn good front 4, Burns, Io, and Brown can all attract double teams given the situation, so that leaves YGM in a position to see a good amount of 1v1's in the pass rush game. We need to see his growth this season; meanwhile Haynes a guy that's show he can get there should also see more playing time and benefit from this. I'd also throw Nixon into this category as well, he flashed a lot last season. 

LB - Shaq / Littleton / Wilson / Luvu - The recent LB'er acquisitions to me kind of signal a trend back towards a 4-3 front vs base offensive personnel, though guys like Burns, Haynes, Luvu all have the ability to stand up on the edges. Littleton in 18 & 19' had 259 tackles (7.5 sacks), in 20' & 21' 180 tackles (.5 sacks), that is a considerable drop in production whether scheme, or surrounding personnel based we need to hope he regains the form he displayed with LA. Perhaps partnering with a collegiate teammate in Shaq assists with that. Wilson is coming off of his first 100+ tackle year and also boasts 3 sacks, and an INT. I think we've done a good job establishing off ball LB depth, and solidifying that group. 

Corner - Horn / Jackson / Henderson -- I think that is as good a young trio as is out there, Horn forecasts as a true #1, and Henderson shares the same physical comp though a little slimmer than Horn. With Henderson and Jackson you have two guys that can play inside out in coverage, also many may have forgot, but Horn also spent a lot of time covering from the nickel spot, a good example is game 1 versus NO. Taylor, Pride off IR, and STO provide solid depth as well. I know many wanted Gilmore back, but his salary demands equal the pay of two players, and when you have Horn returning paying him doesn't make a lot of sense financially.

Safety - Chinn / Woods / Robinson / Carter / Hartsfield -- Dare I say we finally have a real duo on the back end? I believe Woods' snaps were around 62% spent at FS in 21', this should allow Chinn to spend more time in the box & not necessarily as a LB'er. Having a true FS, and the addition of Littleton could also lead to some ''Big'' Nickel looks with Chinn in the slot. This is something we haven't had since Chinn has been here, he was forced to play LB'er a good bit as a rookie, and since he was the best option, he was forced to play more centerfield last season. With LB depth established, and Woods, we'll finally see him at his natural SS position. I also think this will free up more pressure packages. As far as depth I think it can still be improved. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Special Teams:

K / P - Gonzalez, and Hekker....need I say more, we are in a good spot. 

LS - JJ and Fletcher, I think JJ wins again.

Returner - TBH this is still in the air I think, Shi maybe?

Edited by SetfreexX
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2

Glad you did, I wanted to, but my grammar holds me backs.

Team is better than and the draft is still coming.

The main issue I see is young players need to get better now. 

The hardest spots are the only ones panthers need - DE/edge, LT, and QB(tiny bit of hope darnold can turn the corner)

14 hours ago, Basbear said:

Glad you did, I wanted to, but my grammar holds me backs.

Team is better than and the draft is still coming.

The main issue I see is young players need to get better now. 

The hardest spots are the only ones panthers need - DE/edge, LT, and QB(tiny bit of hope darnold can turn the corner)

To me the Darnold ship has sailed, improved OL or not, he's just not worth it. 

Rookie deal, to continue allowing us financial flexibility to keep the best team possible is the move now. 

Willis, Corral, or Riddell, sign Cam for 1 to 2 years, and find a salary dump for Darnold.