• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hey gamers....

shinner

Need some help finding a TV I can put in the basement so I can get this friggin 360 and Wii out of my living room. A 37" LCD looks to be about the price point I can get away with. Don't want to go no-name but I don't need a top of the line model from one of the big names. Keep in mind this thing will be used about 99.99999% of the time for video games. Maybe some dvd viewing but not a lot. No TV as I don't have a satellite box in the basement.

Is 1080p worth it? 60Hz vs 120Hz? 5ms vs 6.5ms vs 8ms?

not to sure about those numbers shinner. i'm rockin' a sony vega 1080i for everything. my buddy just got a 50" plasma that's 720p for around $750. i think he could have done better cuz the walmart paper i just got in the mail shows similar ones for much cheaper. if i had the money i'd go pick up the 32" LCD they have for around $250. its 1080p.

one thing though, i think lcd has longer life expectancy than a plasma. at least thats what the salesman told me ~5 yrs ago. also when playing my ps3 i do notice a slight difference on the 720 games. the games are starting to be more 1080, and I do see a difference in sharpness, contrast, etc. like i said though. its slight. most people say that beyond 3 ft most people see NO difference.

Yeah i heard its very hard to tell the difference between 720 and 1080. I have a consumer report on flatscreens laying around. i'll grab it and report back.

There is virtually no visible difference between 720 and 1080 unless the TV is over 40 inches. Buying a 1080p thats under 40 is a waste of money honestly if your willing to go to 40 there are plenty of places (hhgregg for example I know has a decent set, a Toshiba I think) for under 600 bucks if you wake up early enough tomorrow. If you want to stick at 37 I believe target had a sony on sale tomorrow.

one thing though, i think lcd has longer life expectancy than a plasma.

I think they're about the same these days....but, I'm sticking with LCD because it'll be used almost exclusively to play games.

Yeah i heard its very hard to tell the difference between 720 and 1080. I have a consumer report on flatscreens laying around. i'll grab it and report back.

That jives with everything I've been reading.

There is virtually no visible difference between 720 and 1080 unless the TV is over 40 inches. Buying a 1080p thats under 40 is a waste of money honestly if your willing to go to 40 there are plenty of places (hhgregg for example I know has a decent set' date=' a Toshiba I think) for under 600 bucks if you wake up early enough tomorrow. If you want to stick at 37 I believe target had a sony on sale tomorrow.[/quote']

Trying to stay close to $500....could probably grab a 40" no-name for close to that but I'd rather stick with someone who has something of a reputation for making TVs.

Trying to stay close to $500....could probably grab a 40" no-name for close to that but I'd rather stick with someone who has something of a reputation for making TVs.

Dynex actually makes really nice tv's (I believe they use parts from Samsung in their tv's actually) I had a 1080P Dynex in the living room till I upgraded to a 42" 1080P Sharp.

EDIT: The link wont work for some reason if you go to the bestbuy home page and click on the yellow black friday tab and then tv's its pretty easy to find.

If you want a more reputable brand Wally World has a 37" Vizio for for 547, the fact that it's 1080P raises the price a little bit but its still a good buy for the price. They also have a 32" 720P Vizio for 398.

http://www.walmart.com/Vizio-37-LCD-TV/ip/10993795

http://www.walmart.com/Vizio-32-Class-Eco-LCD/ip/10993794

Happy TV hunting!

Dynex actually makes really nice tv's (I believe they use parts from Samsung in their tv's actually) I had a 1080P Dynex in the living room till I upgraded to a 42" 1080P Sharp.

EDIT: The link wont work for some reason if you go to the bestbuy home page and click on the yellow black friday tab and then tv's its pretty easy to find.

I checked it out....I never would have looked at those if you didn't mention it. Looked pretty good so I threw the model number in the search engine at AVS formum to see if there was any buzz. Turned up a very long thread and a lot of people were having trouble with them. Enough to scare me off. Some guys were still buying them figuring they'd just take it back if it acted up. Not me, man...closest BB is a good 30 min ride away (maybe even longer this weekend) so I ain't too high on taking a chance and then having to take it back. Not to mention the hassle of taking it back that sometimes happens.

If you want a more reputable brand Wally World has a 37" Vizio for for 547, the fact that it's 1080P raises the price a little bit but its still a good buy for the price. They also have a 32" 720P Vizio for 398.

http://www.walmart.com/Vizio-37-LCD-TV/ip/10993795

I've been checking those out too...I can get the comparable VL370M from BJ's for $529.

I actually just found a LG (got great reviews) on tigerdirect for $529 but they went $35 to ship it. I could save a few ducats buying the Vizio locally (a little more if I go to the BJs in MD where ST is 5%).

I own 2 Vizio TV's and I Love them. I have a 37" 1080i that I've had for close to 3 years that is great. Upstairs in the office, and what I game on, I got a 32" 720p.

I got the 720p off Dell for like 350 a bout 6 months ago. I play MW2 on 360 on it and it looks great.

That's strange that people are having trouble with that Dynex set, mine's still running strong. Anyway yea tigerdirect is actually a ripoff usually, newegg is much better IMO. Heres some of the better deals of the weekend that they still have in stock.....all with free shipping to!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102313

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889252067

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889187109

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253200

Well, I think I'm settled on the LG 37LG30 ($530 from tigerdirect). Gets great reviews, especially with regard to gaming (which is what this will be used for 99% of the time). Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pay tigerdirect shipping costs ($36). Even with that I'm saving a ton over Newegg ($699) and Amazon ($644 via buy.com).

Btw you want a 4ms response time, 5 isn't bad but for gaming anything more then that is unacceptabe.

Gonna stick with 5ms as they seem most common....

My old 17" black and white Zenith works fantastic!!!!! Hell....even the record player and 8 track layer still work!!

I'm surprised that you actually own a motorized vehicle....

Archived