• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers scouts high on Malik Willis

Zod

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Go back and watch Fields dismantle Clemson's defense in the playoffs and then honestly try to tell me Willis has a higher ceiling. Y'all musta forgot.

Come on man I’m a UNC fan/Howell guy big time too but for whatever reason we don’t want him. Willis has some tools you can work with it just might take a year or two.

It may be a reach but I wouldn't be unhappy with taking Willis at 6. There's just something about him, maybe I'm letting the media and talking heads sway me but to me he has a gravitas about him. And if we could bring Cam back to mentor I'd be delighted.

All we'd need then is for someone to find some incriminating gambling evidence on Darnold and we're set

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Willis would bring some excitement we haven’t had in a while. If he busts then at least we tried and the best time to try is a meaningless last year for Rhule. 

He wouldnt play next year.  Thats what people here are forgetting.  He wouldnt play, he is too raw.  So if we draft him and he doesnt play and we get a top pick because we roll out Darnold then whats the point?  There are numerous dudes in the next draft with the same skill set as Willis who probably will be better prepared next year then even Willis with one year in the league

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not talking about Howell. I'm talking about Willis.

Willis and Fields both have high ceilings. Fields had the advantage of playing for a team loaded with NFL talent while Willis did not. That caused Willis to make some bad throws, play hero ball, and not develop as much as a passer not unlike Howell this past year. When I watch Willis’s games I see also a lot of Howell’s 2021 no OL blocking, running around trying to make something out of nothing. Out of the two I’d probably prefer Fields because he had better height and was further along as a passer, but I’m high on Willis’s potential as well.

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He wouldnt play next year.  Thats what people here are forgetting.  He wouldnt play, he is too raw.  So if we draft him and he doesnt play and we get a top pick because we roll out Darnold then whats the point?  There are numerous dudes in the next draft with the same skill set as Willis who probably will be better prepared next year then even Willis with one year in the league

I think you can work him in some plays and build an offense plan around his current skills like the Ravens did with Lamar his rookie year. Will there be growing pains? Sure, but that’s part of it. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I think you can work him in some plays and build an offense plan around his current skills like the Ravens did with Lamar his rookie year. Will there be growing pains? Sure, but that’s part of it. 

Alright then why would rhule want him then?  Thats a razors edge for rhule to play that game and even then that doesnt equate to wins.  So we do that and start darnold then we still are picking in the top 5ish.  So whats the point when there are better prospects coming down the pike?  This kid isnt an all world specimen like Cam or whatever.  He is a 6ft kid with a great arm that is good at running.  Thats pretty much it.

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

In that case we would trade down in 2023 for a king's ransom.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Alright then why would rhule want him then?  Thats a razors edge for rhule to play that game and even then that doesnt equate to wins.  So we do that and start darnold then we still are picking in the top 5ish.  So whats the point when there are better prospects coming down the pike?  This kid isnt an all world specimen like Cam or whatever.  He is a 6ft kid with a great arm that is good at running.  Thats pretty much it.

His arm is pretty spectacular. Seems to have a good head on his shoulder and is gifted at avoiding pressure/throwing off the run. I’m not 100% sure it’s going to be Rhule’s call. If the scouts/McAdoo are reporting he is the best of the bunch and Tepper hears it. 
Someone also mentioned Fitts wanting to sit with Cam. If he is interested in a mentor role, it would really be a nice scenario for a QB like Willis. You can even run a similar offense.

Willis isn’t as raw as people are making him out to be. Does he need work as a passer? Sure. His passing stats in college look as good if not better than Lamar’s as a whole. A smart QB with a good work ethic that has a rocket arm and can run with the ball can be deadly in this league. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

His arm is pretty spectacular. Seems to have a good head on his shoulder and is gifted at avoiding pressure/throwing off the run. I’m not 100% sure it’s going to be Rhule’s call. If the scouts/McAdoo are reporting he is the best of the bunch and Tepper hears it. 
Someone also mentioned Fitts wanting to sit with Cam. If he is interested in a mentor role, it would really be a nice scenario for a QB like Willis. You can even run a similar offense.

Willis isn’t as raw as people are making him out to be. Does he need work as a passer? Sure. His passing stats in college look as good if not better than Lamar’s as a whole. A smart QB with a good work ethic that has a rocket arm and can run with the ball can be deadly in this league. 

Part of me thinks this age of running qbs is slowing down due to injuries.  We saw it with Cam, Kyler has been injured for 2 seasons now, Russell doesnt run as much, Mahomes got hurt running, RG3 ended his career running, same with Luck. 

Looking back on the past SB winners dont see many of these "mobile" speed guys making the game.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Part of me thinks this age of running qbs is slowing down due to injuries.  We saw it with Cam, Kyler has been injured for 2 seasons now, Russell doesnt run as much, Mahomes got hurt running, RG3 ended his career running, same with Luck. 

Looking back on the past SB winners dont see many of these "mobile" speed guys making the game.

It's a copycat league. Just like every other new approach to winning eventually someone figures out a way to neutralize it.  We have been witnessing this the past couple of seasons.