• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Alexander talks QB/OL options

Mr. Scot

Panthers becoming more open to drafting a QB

Excerpts:

While the Panthers’ first priority remains to fix its offensive line, don’t be surprised if they take one of the top quarterbacks in April’s draft. 

The narrative surrounding this quarterback class is that it’s weak compared to others. But the Panthers’ staff isn’t buying it.

“History says that there will probably be a quarterback that comes out here that will be a franchise quarterback,” Panthers coach Matt Rhule told reporters last Wednesday. “Obviously, we pick six, so we have a lot of options.” 

Ideally, the Panthers would have liked for their gamble on Sam Darnold to pay off. They invested three draft picks, including a second- and fourth-round pick in 2022, on Darnold. He’s going to make $18.9 million in 2022 after the Panthers picked up the fifth-year option on his contract last year. 

But it hasn’t worked out, and Rhule and Carolina general manager Scott Fitterer were both on record saying that they would be aggressive in their pursuit of a quarterback. 

“It’s really an important decision for us,” Fitterer said. “Do we go the free-agent route, do we go through the draft? We’re fairly far along on the quarterback evaluation on the college class. We’ve gone through it from a free agent standpoint. We’ll look at all other options that are out there.

Most draft experts and scouts say Evan Neal, Ikem Ekwonu and Charles Cross are the top three offensive tackles in this draft. All three are expected to be Day 1 starters.

And if one of those guys is on the board, the Panthers will most likely take him. 

But the Panthers are also starting to get comfortable with the idea of sliding Brady Christensen to left tackle, signing a guard or two in free agency and drafting a quarterback at No. 6. Christensen would start at left tackle, Michael Jordan would start or backup at left guard, Pat Elflein would start at center, a new right guard and Taylor Moton would start at right tackle. 

The Panthers will also look at trading back if they can get multiple picks in return. In that case, former Nevada quarterback Carson Strong would be an option later in the first round, a source told The Observer. 

Everyone knows that the Panthers won’t be able to turn things around until they get both the offensive line and quarterback fixed, but they are tempering their expectations when it comes to who they can acquire. 

Deshaun Watson’s legal situation has not yet been resolved. And most observers believe Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson will stay put in Green Bay and Seattle, respectively. 

Also, while there were reports that the Panthers inquired about Cousins in Minnesota, two sources said that call never occurred. The coaching staff and front office were actually in a meeting when they heard the news and laughed it off. 

Cousins’ salary cap number is $45 million in 2022, and the Panthers are in no position to pay that. Given their cap space and Darnold’s salary, the Panthers will need an option that won’t cost as much. 

Unless the Panthers were to trade for a veteran quarterback with a lower salary or sign a veteran in free agency, drafting a quarterback and using what they have on the offensive line is looking like their best option. 

I hope that's a smokescreen to get someone to jump them and take a QB at 5 this increasing the likelihood that one of the tackles is left for them to draft. Now, if they get a late round pick for CMC and they want to draft Strong or Howell with the hope of developing one of them, I'm okay with that. That would give at least a year for our new online to gel before putting a young QB out there.

Just now, Toker Smurf said:

I hope that's a smokescreen to get someone to jump them and take a QB at 5 this increasing the likelihood that one of the tackles is left for them to draft. Now, if they get a late round pick for CMC and they want to draft Strong or Howell with the hope of developing one of them, I'm okay with that. That would give at least a year for our new online to gel before putting a young QB out there.

It's possible. They smokescreened interest in Justin Fields last year.

That said, I have a feeling that at least as far as Matt Rhule and David Tepper go, the interest in Kenny Pickett is real.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Toker Smurf said:

I'm torn both ways on Pickett.  I am like you I'd rather trade down get another pick and use it on a QB and IOL. 

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

"We know the line is an issue and it is our #1 priority this off-season to fix it."

That doesn't specify how they're going to fix it though.

From the article:

But the Panthers are also starting to get comfortable with the idea of sliding Brady Christensen to left tackle, signing a guard or two in free agency and drafting a quarterback at No. 6. Christensen would start at left tackle, Michael Jordan would start or backup at left guard, Pat Elflein would start at center, a new right guard and Taylor Moton would start at right tackle. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

From the article:

This franchise is FUBAR.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From the article:

I think the original Michael Jordan might have a better chance at blocking someone than this MJ.  This turnstile was spinning so fast you couldn't see the bars.   He's terrible.  I'd rather have Brown and a Free Agent on the depth chart before MJ2

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think the original Michael Jordan might have a better chance at blocking someone than this MJ.  This turnstile was spinning so fast you couldn't see the bars.   He's terrible.  I'd rather have Brown and a Free Agent on the depth chart before MJ2

He did say Jordan might be a backup rather than a starter.