• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Franchise tags

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Not having to franchise someone this year is a good thing. I’m actually shocked that Goodwin is open to the tag because he would make So much more money on the open market.

Maybe, but the WR market last year was pretty awful and unpredictable.

Plus he's coming off the pretty serious knee injury. I could see why he'd take the guaranteed 1 year but personally if I were him I'd be more concerned with who's gonna be throwing him the ball over a slightly lower annual average of a questionable market.

Just now, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Maybe, but the WR market last year was pretty awful and unpredictable.

Plus he's coming off the pretty serious knee injury. I could see why he'd take the guaranteed 1 year but personally if I were him I'd be more concerned with who's gonna be throwing him the ball over a slightly lower annual average of a questionable market.

Thats the double edge sword with the tag. Yeah you get the money for a year but it’s a gamble that you could lose money for the next contract. There is a reason the players union hates the tag. Goodwin has the tape to show he’s a great receiver but if Kyle Trask is throwing to him next year teams are gonna knock him just for that year.

2 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Thats the double edge sword with the tag. Yeah you get the money for a year but it’s a gamble that you could lose money for the next contract. There is a reason the players union hates the tag. Goodwin has the tape to show he’s a great receiver but if Kyle Trask is throwing to him next year teams are gonna knock him just for that year.

Agreed. Maybe his camp is betting on the cap raising to bump his AAV but I think I'd try the market personally.

2023 is shaping up to be a monster year for FA WRs, maybe that's what they're thinking. 

26 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Not having to franchise someone this year is a good thing. I’m actually shocked that Goodwin is open to the tag because he would make So much more money on the open market.

It depends on how you define "more money."  Godwin will get no less than 120% of the value of his tag from last year, which means he's pushing $20M for a 1 year tag.  And it guarantees he will cash in next year, because they would owe him QB type money to tag him for a 3rd time.