• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers are open to trading Christian McCaffrey and D.J. Moore

TheSpecialJuan

11 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Nonsense. I question if you actually watched the games last year, for real

I get we're down bad as a franchise but man, if you guys don't wanna pay DJ Moore you don't wanna pay anyone

U can question all u want haha…and if u disagree, I definitely understand where you’re coming from. Paying big time money to a WR in general isnt how I’d want to build a team in the first place. When you then consider DJ being the WR that’s up for a big contract, I easily would pass. If we were a contender right now coming off a great season, I’d be more inclined to mayyyyybe bite the bullet just for continuity purposes. But absolutely not with those current group of guys.  

23 hours ago, frankw said:

Leadership overall last year was big time lacking we can both agree on that which was the larger point I was trying to get across. If you expect more fire and leadership that's good but DJ isn't playing by himself out there. Guys have to come together as a group and typically it's the quarterback who will lead that charge. We did not have that last season. All of that is why you do not pay a running back one of the largest contracts in the league to be the face of your franchise without a QB1 identified. There's a reason a now older QB like Cam Newton who is not the same passer he used to be brought so much short lived energy back to this team that Sam Darnold could not bring in his wildest dreams. When you say we must not invest our resources in DJ but other areas can you be specific as to which position groups you are referring to? Without a top wideout or a franchise quarterback what on earth are you building? Why even have a team at all? 🤔🤷‍♂️

I’m with you 100% on CMC’s contract. I love him but I wouldn’t have given him that contract either.

To answer your question though, I’d invest more in the trenches on both sides of the ball first and foremost. 

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, stbugs said:

CMC wasn’t even a horrible contract with his results.

At the time it was a contentious debate but now it isn't even a discussion. You do not make running backs the face of your franchise and you definitely do not do so before you have even identified your franchise quarterback. 6 games in two seasons sums up the contract no matter how big of a fan you might be. Sorry Charlie these are the facts.

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Reebis21 said:

I’m with you 100% on CMC’s contract. I love him but I wouldn’t have given him that contract either.

To answer your question though, I’d invest more in the trenches on both sides of the ball first and foremost. 

I can agree with that. But this all boils down to the better areas to invest in your team in a league that has seen a shift in recent years. QB OL and WR are the cream of the crop. RB's are a dime a dozen and can be had in mid to late rounds or signed in FA on short term contracts because most teams not named the Carolina Panthers know this.

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Sorry Charlie? Lol. Listen, of course it’s a bad deal due to injuries. That happens. Aaron Rodgers lost a year. Brady lost a year, Cam lost a year too. Did we give him an extension before we had to? Of course. Is it the reason why we restructured Moton? No.

When healthy, CMC is a top 5 non-QB. You can see the difference in our offense. We were 4-3 last year with CMC and we were 1-9 without him. In 2020, we were 0-3 with him but lost two close game and we scored 9 TDs in those 3 games and CMC had 6 of the 9 TDs. 3 games of 28 or more points in 2020, 2 were in CMC’s 3 games.

We gave Teddy more money for one year in 2020 than we gave to CMC in 2020 and 2021 combined. Short and Okung almost made more money in 2020 than CMC made in 2020 and 2021 combined. Anderson’s 2 year extension is $9M more than CMC’s cash in 2022 and 2023. Teddy and Anderson’s extension is about the total money of CMC’s 4 year extension.

It was a bad deal to sign it the year before he got hurt when Marty (again) didn’t need to pay him more yet. Just like Robby and Sam, we opened up the purse too early. That said, even if we see him through the entire extension, it hasn’t affected our cap as much as the rest and that was my point. I can excuse a CMC deal because he’s that good. Even Shaq. I can’t excuse deals bigger or as high for mediocre to bad players. That’s what’s actually hurt us. CMC’s deal is only bad because he got hurt.

One other note, you know CMC played in 7 games last year not 3, right? He’s played 10 games the past two years and TBH, I’d bet he could have played more if we weren’t already out of contention. We were 5-8 last year in his last game and then they shelved him. He was 1 yard away from being #2 on the team in total yards and he missed 10 games. He had more yards than Anderson and Thomas combined.

Why are you comparing him to HOF QB's? That's the most important position you can't just replace one but an RB out on the other hand should not sink your whole season. I get you're a CMC superfan but we should have traded him when his value was the highest in 2020 it's not just about the contract but missed value overall after investing a top 10 pick as well. Now we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Shelf life is what it is and through two staffs they have rode him into the ground. But what's done is done. We need a QB and a real OL and I would trade a running back ten times out of ten if it meant getting to that goal. I hope you feel the same.

11 hours ago, stbugs said:

You are completely missing every point I’m making. I’m comparing him to those guys because they all missed significant time and no one railed their contracts. I’m a fan of CMC and I admit that he was extended way before necessary and his contract has been bad due to injury only. Doesn’t change the fact that when healthy he is absolutely our best player, period so I don’t care about his contract.  If he wasn’t hurt his contract would be worth it.

Also, I was responding to you lumping him and Shaq’s deals in with the rest of our bad deals. Paying a top player a top deal isn’t a big deal. Sucks he got hurt but their deals aren’t hurting the team like the much bigger money we’ve thrown away on mediocre players. I’m not up for trading DJ because Robby should have never gotten his extension first and CMC probably won’t get us enough in return.

I don’t think trading DJ or CMC gets us to any goal. This poo ass FO could have already had a solid OL and QB. I don’t trust them to do anything right at this point so trading young star players seems like a not so smart move just to make up for throwing away a 2nd, 2 3rds and a 4th on Teddy and Sam.

But no one would rail their contracts save for a few ignoramuses because they are elite franchise quarterbacks that are very difficult to replace. As long as it isn't a career changing injury most would realize we'll be back next year. But without one of those what is there to look forward to? Oh we have one of the best backs in football when he's healthy? Great we still can't win more than five games even when he is on pace to break the record on RB touches. We can't keep thinking like it's the eighties or the nineties. I don't have any beef with Shaq the contract is what it is but if you're asking me it would be best to direct that money to the Dline when the contract ends. OL and DL are the bread and butter. I don't want to trade DJ or CMC but if it is keeping one or the other I will pick WR each time. I am in complete agreement with you about the management. Taking swings at quarterback isn't the problem it is how they have gone about it. We had three opportunities to go for one in the draft since Cam fully hit the injury wall in the 2019 season. It should have been done and over with by now. But we made our first order of business retaining players on a losing team similary to what we did in 2010. We got the same results too.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

Between injuries and coaching, CMC's legacy here will be a bit lost over time.  He had a solid 2018 with Cam, the one monster year with Kyle Allen, & then the rest is history.  

I can see him making a name for himself more in his second spot if he gets past these two injury ridden seasons.  

On 3/4/2022 at 2:22 PM, BurnNChinn said:

Who gives a fug anymore!

Oh wow!  We have real problems when a Saints fan cares more than a Panthers fan.  No disrespect intended.  I just don’t see where this attitude helps the team.  

I don’t mean to focus on a person.  I am focusing on the attitude.  I see this attitude with a lot of people.  I just see this attitude as: “ I give up on the team”.