• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What does James Campen look for in an offensive lineman?

Mr. Scot

Here are a couple of answers from an interview given shortly after Campen was hired by the Chargers...

On Qualities He Looks for in Offensive Linemen

"Mental toughness. If you're mentally tough and you can overcome things. Or if you can play with balance in your mind, you'll have balance in your feet.

A lot of coaches have the same philosophy, 'Be where your feet are,' and you have to live in that moment.

The moments are about 4.5 seconds and you're back in the huddle. You have to make sure you can turn the switch on and off when you need to and during that time be mentally tough, but know when it's physical and it's time to go."

On Goals for the Chargers' Offensive Line

"Just be consistent. Injuries are going to happen, but you have to be prepared. Guys will play positions and some of the backups will have to play multiple and be ready. When your turn comes, you have to be ready and take advantage of it.

I 've been fortunate to coach a lot of players who weren't starters and then they got opportunities and they took off..

Expectation is leadership; 100-percent. I truly believe the offensive line drives practice, it drives everything. They have to be consistent and they have to be leaders."

James Campen Talks Joining the Chargers' Coaching Staff

There's also this video from when he was coaching for the Browns where a reporter asked him how long linemen should be expected to block.

I like his answer.

• Beer 2

I hope he is a warlock.

Cause this has to be one of scariest deals to walk in on.

Plus these words help Brown some in the starting sense. My god that would be huge if Brown can fill the RG spot with 17+ quality starts!

I want to believe...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

I don't know if he'll succeed here.  Obviously I hope he does.  He has a lot of connections in the league and he's been around a lot of success.  But in one statement he's managed to show more understanding of how to build an NFL offensive line that our entire staff have demonstrated in their tenure:

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

"Just be consistent. Injuries are going to happen, but you have to be prepared. Guys will play positions and some of the backups will have to play multiple and be ready. When your turn comes, you have to be ready and take advantage of it.

Your starters need to be great at ONE (*@#ing POSITION MATT.  Your backups need to be versatile.

I hope he can convince our coaches of this.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2