• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would y'all think of hiring Ken Dorsey as HC next year?

hepcat

I know it's very very early to be thinking about the next head coach, but I think we all can sense that Matt Rhule is on borrowed time with the Panthers right now.

Out of all the up-and-coming candidates out there, Ken Dorsey is one of the more exciting ones to me.

Dorsey has developed Cam Newton and Josh Allen with great success. Although Dorsey wasn't officially Newton's QB coach until 2013, Dorsey worked at IMG Academy where Cam was training before the 2011 NFL draft and was a Pro Scout for the Panthers from 2011-2012. 

Dorsey's work with Josh Allen is well noted. Allen went from a physically talented but very raw prospect out of Wyoming to quite possibly the second best QB in the NFL behind Patrick Mahomes. 

Let's say the Panthers play this next season smart (I know, what a concept), trade down in the 1st round and get some extra picks, and draft Malik Willis. Willis is a similar prospect to Josh Allen. Physically talented but very raw and in need of solid coaching to become an NFL QB. Cam was further ahead than Allen when he came into the NFL, but Dorsey still coached Cam during his best and most productive seasons.

Rhule gets fired after a poor season, but Willis shows flashes of ability near the end of the season. 

In comes Dorsey, with experience in developing a similar style of QB, and the kind of NFL coach who has put in his time and could be ready to make a move up to head coach. Maybe be brings in a former head coach as Defensive Coordinator (Steve Wilks maybe??)

But here I am talking about rational, intelligent moves a smart organization would make. The Panthers are probably about to trade 3 first round picks for Kirk Cousins.

This will be his first season as an NFL coordinator. I would say let's maybe see what happens there first. Besides how challenging is it to coach up a physical specimen like Newton or Allen at 6'5 240-250? Willis is an intriguing prospect but unless he's going to suddenly just sprout up more out of the blue he and Josh Allen aren't all that similar and he will get lit up as a runner in the NFL that's just the truth.

• Pie 3

Yeah, I’m not high on Dorsey. He could have done a lot more to help Cam improve and be consistent and he didnt. This feels like the same game that’s played over and over. X player is good so the coordinator gets the credit even if they had nothing to do with it.

Lets see how he is calling plays.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Yeah, I’m not high on Dorsey. He could have done a lot more to help Cam improve and be consistent and he didnt. 

To be fair, Rivera and Hurney held him back from that a lot because they were both too chicken sh-t to risk stepping on Newton's toes. When given the chance to actually be a real quarterback coach, he did wonders for Josh Allen.

That said, Dorsey doesn't have anywhere near enough experience to be considered for a head coaching job.

I know everybody's looking for the next Sean McVay. I'm not.

• Pie 2

43 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, Rivera and Hurney held him back from that a lot because they were both too chicken sh-t to risk stepping on Newton's toes. When given the chance to actually be a real quarterback coach, he did wonders for Josh Allen.

That said, Dorsey doesn't have anywhere near enough experience to be considered for a head coaching job.

Sounds like a Huddle narrative. Do we REALLY know Ron and Hurn held him back? I never saw Dorsey do much with Cam during a game outside of handing him a tablet. He seemed intimidated by Cam.

Maybe Josh Allens rise has more to do with McDermott or Josh’s personal off-season coach?

Point is, we never have any idea how much of an impact assistant coaches really have. Maybe he’s good or maybe he’s Gase with Manning.

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Sounds like a Huddle narrative. Do we REALLY know Ron and Hurn held him back? I never saw Dorsey do much with Cam during a game outside of handing him a tablet. He seemed intimidated by Cam.

Maybe Josh Allens rise has more to do with McDermott or Josh’s personal off-season coach?

Point is, we never have any idea how much of an impact assistant coaches really have. Maybe he’s good or maybe he’s Gase with Manning.

It was heard from a couple of different sources.

And honestly, what we saw of the interactions between Newton and Dorsey pretty much supports the story.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He has NFL more experience than Matt Rhule had.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

He seemed intimidated by Cam.

Many were. When JR was there, Cam and Jr were the two most powerful presences at the headquarters....both very much alpha males, and both very particular about the way they wanted. People walked on eggshells around both of them . Personally I liked Cam's vision much better than JRs because Cam wanted to win more than anything or anyone. He was a big goofball when things were going ok, especially early on, but if they weren't then you'd need to watch out. JR was just always in need of prunes. 

Cam and Smitty were not a good mix in that locker room, btw, but that's another discussion. 

As far as Dorsey goes, I think Cam was probably not a good first time player for Dorsey. Dorsey needed some more experience coaching QBs before trying to take on a personality like Cam. Same would be true of many big time QBs with that level dominant personality.

Also, as far as Dorsey goes....he might one day be a good HC, but I think it's way too early for him. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1