• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule not on list of coaches speaking at Combine

mc52beast

2 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Keep researching.  Having control is one of the deals Shanahan worked out as a part of taking the job.  It was one of the things that made him overlook the main thing he said he wanted in a team he chose...a quarterback already in place.

Kyle runs the show, and Lynch is his right hand man.  Lynch had to go to Kyle and ask to be his General Manager.  After some time to think about it, Kyle said okay.

It can be slightly tricky to piece everything together because both Kyle and John like to change their stories over time.  If you listen to them describe the quarterback search that led to Trey Lance, they have put together 3 or 4 versions of the events that don't align with one another.  

I’ve got a contract and 5 years of sharing responsibility. You make up a story and claim it’s true “because you think so. Why did I get proof when all I had to do was make up anything I wanted?  I’ll stick with facts. You call Disney. 

14 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

I would add McVay to that list as well. May not be officially, but at the end of the day I think its pretty obvious to infer who is making the decisions on those teams. I mean McVay made the Stafford decision in the bathtub with the guy. But, yes Rhule has more power than all of them I would say besides Belickick. Hopefully not now. I am of the assumption with Fitt taking over media stuff, pictures and the fact that it was likely part of the reason he kept a job. (Giving control to Fitterer.) That Fitt may be in control. Hopefully?

It helps to look at the traditional dynamic.

Coaches set the systems that are used on the field. The job of the GM is to try and secure the best players who fit those systems. They're also responsible for setting their salaries, managing the cap, etc.

Once the roster is chosen, the coach sets the depth chart, special teams, positional assignments, etc. Basically, anything related to the on field play.

Now granted, coaches who win big do sometimes gain more say, but each individual GM sets how much that is. It differs from team to team.

But again, only a few gain full power, generally by earning it...

... except for Rhule. He had it handed to him by a moronic owner.

10 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

I think its pretty darn obvious, but that's my opinion. 

That’s because you haven’t got a clue. Contractual and 5 years of working together while sharing responsibility for Shanahan/LYnch. Here’s a recent article from the Baltimore newspaper(legit writers) that doesn’t mention Harbaugh’s name at all. Only Decosta. And I’ve been a Steelers fan for 46 years. Tomlin doesn’t have full roster control and doesn’t really want it. That’s not how the Steelers work. Especially since Colbert is still there and running the GM search. But hey, it’s obvious…..right? 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/analysis/preston/bs-sp-preston-decosta-impact-players-20220208-xniklm66nbfrvg5fevqgzykwqa-story.html

Edited by Toomers

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

It helps to look at the traditional dynamic.

Coaches set the systems that are used on the field. The job of the GM is to try and secure the best players who fit those systems. They're also responsible for setting their salaries, managing the cap, etc.

Once the roster is chosen, the coach sets the depth chart, special teams, positional assignments, etc. Basically, anything related to the on field play.

Now granted, coaches who win big do sometimes gain more say, but each individual GM sets how much that is. It differs from team to team.

But again, only a few gain full power, generally by earning it...

... except for Rhule. He had it handed to him by a moronic owner.

I think modern coaches see the pitfalls of past head coaches who had absolute power, trying to pull double duty as HC and GM.  They recognize that someone has to be in the GM seat, and it needs to be someone they trust and connect with.  They still have the control, but they are delegating alot of the tasks rather than having to take them on directly.