• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Everyone wants Rhule gone but, what if

DaveThePanther2008

28 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

This type of hiring should have happened in year one. Not now. Period. .

Agreed.  I can't see Tepper holding onto him for one more year just to fire him regardless of the outcome of the 2022 season.

This team under performed drastically in 2021. 

If Rhule shows he can run a NFL program with NFL coaches he might just save his job.  I know most on here don't want to hear that but IMO that is exactly why the changes were made. 

Tepper to Rhule "You got one more season to prove you can run this team.  Get NFL experienced coaches and make us a winning franchise"

• Pie 1

It’s just too little too late. We all know this team is a mess and there’s no cleaning it up in one off-season by shuffling a few coaches around. Far too many holes on the roster to expect to compete next season even if they broke the bank for a top veteran QB. 

They botched the QB situation so badly that our only hope is bottoming out, hiring a new coaching staff, and drafting Bryce Young.

Dude, Cam isn't coming back. I keep seeing people say "Bring Cam back on a 1 year deal!" but it's just not happening. Cam said he doesn't want to sign with a crappy 5-12 team next season. Nothing about where we are as a franchise screams "stability" or "promising upcoming season".

Cam's gone, Sam is the QB pending us overdrafting Kenny Pickett with our lone top 100 choice. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

If I was a manager at Applebee’s and got a position managing a Michelin star restaurant and brought my line cooks from Applebee’s to be chefs at the Michelin star restaurant thinking I was some sort of genius reinventing the wheel, is any amount of coming to my senses going to fix that kind of stupid and arrogance? The problem is deeper than just being forced to hire better people after 2 years. It’s like when Gordon Ramsay goes to a restaurant on Kitchen Nightmares and spoon feeds them a road map to success and then a month after he leaves they’ve already fuged it up again.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

I am not a Rhule apologist by an means and I don't see a lot of hope for this scenario ending well, but I will say this for the situation Rhule inherited:  He cam into an organization that needed to be stripped down to the studs, which happens.  Then he was dealt the "great pandemic offseason" in which to build a staff and team.

That gets us to a fundamental question:  Did he select coaches he worked with because that is who he wanted from past exploits, or did he select them because of the familiarity and difficulty of finding more qualified people? 

My own opinion, for whatever that is worth, was he brought people he was familiar with because they were part of "the program."  The lockdowns were simply an impediment/excuse against hiring others with NFL experience.  Given the zero expectations and an owner advertising this was going to be long, slow, and painful, things looked okay after year one.  They even had a convenient scapegoat QB for logging 5 wins vs. 7 or 8.

As it turned out, the QB was not the only thing limiting success.  The coaches from "the program" also hit their NFL limits in year one.

Which leads us to the same fundamental question two years later:  Did he realize the coaches he brought in initially were not up to the task, or did the owner bring him to that conclusion?

If they turn this thing around, I will gladly change my thinking about Rhule.  But right now he is yet another college coach with "a program" or "a system" that either does not translate to the NFL or gets figured out by opposing coaches, and he does not know any other way.  He now has to prove he can figure out another way and adapt to the NFL.  I'm not betting on it, but stranger things have happened.

9 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I am not a Rhule apologist by an means and I don't see a lot of hope for this scenario ending well, but I will say this for the situation Rhule inherited:  He cam into an organization that needed to be stripped down to the studs, which happens.  Then he was dealt the "great pandemic offseason" in which to build a staff and team.

That gets us to a fundamental question:  Did he select coaches he worked with because that is who he wanted from past exploits, or did he select them because of the familiarity and difficulty of finding more qualified people? 

My own opinion, for whatever that is worth, was he brought people he was familiar with because they were part of "the program."  The lockdowns were simply an impediment/excuse against hiring others with NFL experience.  Given the zero expectations and an owner advertising this was going to be long, slow, and painful, things looked okay after year one.  They even had a convenient scapegoat QB for logging 5 wins vs. 7 or 8.

As it turned out, the QB was not the only thing limiting success.  The coaches from "the program" also hit their NFL limits in year one.

Which leads us to the same fundamental question two years later:  Did he realize the coaches he brought in initially were not up to the task, or did the owner bring him to that conclusion?

If they turn this thing around, I will gladly change my thinking about Rhule.  But right now he is yet another college coach with "a program" or "a system" that either does not translate to the NFL or gets figured out by opposing coaches, and he does not know any other way.  He now has to prove he can figure out another way and adapt to the NFL.  I'm not betting on it, but stranger things have happened.

I think it was clear Rhule wanted his own staff when the Jets wanted him but wanted to green light his assistant hires and he balked. Remember this is the guy who said he didn't believe in or hasn't fired an assistant coach. 

As far as this Rhule and the upcoming year.....I decide to remain hopeful. I think through a lot of Tepper speaking to the media earlier it is clear he let Marty pretty much run the show because Tepper was focused on other aspects on the Panthers ( practice field, facilities, marketing etc... ) and was sort of learning how to be an owner on the job. In Riveras last season after he was let go, Tepper stated that he was going to focus more on the football side and make his mark. Queue the Rhule hire which and a year later the Hurney firing. It makes sense, Tepper puts his focus on the team and gives everyone a chance to prove themselves. Rivera couldn't field a competitive squard and The 2020 season goes better then expected but Hurney, in an ironic turn of fate, was finally fingered for his lack of football knowledge by the same person he hired. We all saw the poo show that this past season was. I think Tepper believes in Rhule enough to tell him that and have discussions regarding the shape of the offseason and the coaching hires moving forward. He is giving him his trial. They are brining in experience in all forms and grabbing the best candidates they can. Its Rhule's turn to prove he can do it. You have to remember he has been around the Steelers and has seen what patience can produce. ( note : he was NOT one of the owners who wanted Tomlim gone ) .

Anyways, I like to go into every season optimistic because otherwise.....what am I even doing with my time?

3 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Sorry chief, fresh out of prayers 

I can't find the rhyme in all my reason
I've lost sense of time and all seasons
Feel I've been beaten down

By the words of men who have no grounds
Can't sleep beneath the trees of wisdom
When your ax has cut the roots that feed them
Forked tongues in bitter mouths

Can drive a man to bleed from inside out

What if you did?
What if you lied?