• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your All time Panthers Coaching Staff

Steves89

18 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Del Rio was good, no doubt about it. But it helped that he had a good helping of talent, especially in the front 7.    Best defensive line we ever had with Peppers, Rucker in his Prime, Jenkins healthy, and Buckner.  And the linebackers were great, with Morgan and Fields (before injuries and cancer took their toll).  

On that d-line we also had Al Wallace, Jordan Carstens and Kemp Rasmussen. As rotational players they were excellent, also, pound for pound, some of the physically strongest players we ever fielded. Whoever was running the strength and conditioning program back then was phenomenal (and potentially assisted by an ethically challenged physician and pharmacy back then, but let's not go there).

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Awful?  Considering we went to the Super Bowl with him.  I kind of find it a stretch that he was awful.

That's not even half the story.

Henning recognized that the Patriots had something, so over the halftime break he came up with an entirely different gameplan. And the results reflected it.

Seriously doubt Chudzinski could have done that.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's not even half the story.

Henning recognized that the Patriots had something, so over the halftime break he came up with an entirely different gameplan. And the results reflected it.

Seriously doubt Chudzinski could have done that.

Henning was probably the best OC we ever had, which isn't saying much but it's true. Chud night have had the best offensive mind, but his situational awareness and situational play calling was pretty poor. He had no idea who was on the field and didn't care when he sent down play calls. He didn't adapt his game plan to match the situations very well. That said, he was loads better than most others we had, especially those who came after him.

Norve should have been better, but I think Rivera handicapped him. Whatever it was, Norv was a letdown. I expected a lot more from him, but his time didn't seem to be any better than the worst  and most predictable of Shula.

I will say, I'm not all that excited about McAdoo. His offense in new York was really predictable and lacked much dimensionally. He's got experience, but I expect more of the same we've had going back over a half decade now. One dimensional, predictable offense while lacking a consistently good QB. And no, Cam doesn't count as a consistently good QB his last few years here. He was hurt and played hurt too much after being run into the ground by Rivera and allowed to be a punching bag for defenses by the jackass refs of the league.

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Henning was probably the best OC we ever had, which isn't saying much but it's true. Chud night have had the best offensive mind, but his situational awareness and situational play calling was pretty poor. He had no idea who was on the field and didn't care when he sent down play calls. He didn't adapt his game plan to match the situations very well. That said, he was loads better than most others we had, especially those who came after him.

Norve should have been better, but I think Rivera handicapped him. Whatever it was, Norv was a letdown. I expected a lot more from him, but his time didn't seem to be any better than the worst  and most predictable of Shula.

I will say, I'm not all that excited about McAdoo. His offense in new York was really predictable and lacked much dimensionally. He's got experience, but I expect more of the same we've had going back over a half decade now. One dimensional, predictable offense while lacking a consistently good QB. And no, Cam doesn't count as a consistently good QB his last few years here. He was hurt and played hurt too much after being run into the ground by Rivera and allowed to be a punching bag for defenses by the jackass refs of the league.

Henning's biggest asset, and something none of our other OCs have had, was the ability to get punched in the mouth, get back up and come back swinging differently. He could and would change the entire game plan based on what was happening on the field.

Doing that takes a certain mentality to accomplish and it is why that 2003 season produced the Cardiac Cats and comeback after comeback. He was self aware more than self reverent. His successors have been too tied to their own brilliances to make changes in game, and some of them refused to change even over the course of a season -- something other teams feasted on time and time again.

They told everyone to trust the process, they knew what they were doing. 

We need a Dan Henning-type again.

• Pie 3

In some ways, 2005 might have been the best job coaching we ever saw from a Panthers staff.  We had an offense that had one great receiver (Smith) one guy who was old and slow, but clutch (Proehl), a slightly above average running back in Foster, and another running back who could always get a tough yards 1 or 2 yards, but little more than that in Stephen Davis.  The defense was not dominant, but could play well and forced a lot of opportune turnovers.   And with that, we made it to the NFC championship game.  

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

In some ways, 2005 might have been the best job coaching we ever saw from a Panthers staff.  We had an offense that had one great receiver (Smith) one guy who was old and slow, but clutch (Proehl), a slightly above average running back in Foster, and another running back who could always get a tough yards 1 or 2 yards, but little more than that in Stephen Davis.  The defense was not dominant, but could play well and forced a lot of opportune turnovers.   And with that, we made it to the NFC championship game.  

We also had some incredible role players who made the difference and punched above their weight classes. That was an amazing year, too.

And we can't downplay the importance of Jake Delhomme, once again. 

Edited by Khyber53

On 2/16/2022 at 4:11 AM, AU-panther said:

For those saying RR, he had prime Cam for 9 years and never had back to back winning seasons.  For that to be true one of those two has to be severely overrated.

This is a good point. I went with RR, and I gotta admit, that could be some bias because I just like the guy. Of the two,(Ron and Cam) Cam is clearly the undisputed talent who covered a lot of shortcomings on this team. I might have to change my vote to Fox.

Edited by Steves89