• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your All time Panthers Coaching Staff

Steves89

Every offseason, someone usually posts a topic which is a variant of what your all time Panthers team is. I have never seen anyone post your all time Panthers Coaching Staff. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think this past year's Panthers team had a good amount of talent (I think Bitterer could be good), enough to maybe win closer to 9 games. The issue is really the coaching staff. So I wanted to ask, who is on your all time Panthers coaching staff. I don't know my full staff yet, but the guys I like are

Head Coach: Riverboat Ron Rivera has the best win percentage of any coach we have had, is well respected in the community and is largely beloved by his plays. People have been knocking on the idea of "culture" but culture is really important and this team was known for having a great locker room culture during his tenure aided of course by some great veterans like TD, Luke, Cam, and Greg. But it starts with Ron. 

WR: Ricky Proehl was a player and a big part of both Super Bowl panther teams, first as a player and then as a coach. He helped a lot of players surpass their potential - I am thinking of Philly Brown's performance in the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl. Basically had nothing to work with and made them part of a really potent offense.

RB: Jim Skipper Who else could it be? He was here forever, survived multiple HC firings and gave us some amazing running backs through the years. A no brainer.

Defensive Coordinator: Sean McDermott oversaw two an excellent defense here and is now a very successful head coach in Buffalo. 

DL: Eric Washington: Unlike Proehl, he had much more talent to work with, but getting pressure with a four man rush was a huge part of this teams success for much of its history. He had solid success in Chicago and and is kicking but in Buffalo with McDermott. 

LB: Sam Mills (duh)Was the heart of the team when it went to the playoffs in 1996, when it went to the Super Bowl in 2003. Might be the heart of the team still. I hope this team gets back to being at a place where it is deserving of his legacy. 

DB: Steve Wilks This might be some 2015 bias, but he made some good things happen with pretty mediocre players. Coached Thieves Row that had a lot of takeaways and made Mike Mitchell look good.

Curious to hear what other coaches folks liked from past Panther teams.

Happy Offeseason!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 2

6 minutes ago, Steves89 said:

Every offseason, someone usually posts a topic which is a variant of what your all time Panthers team is. I have never seen anyone post your all time Panthers Coaching Staff. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think this past year's Panthers team had a good amount of talent (I think Bitterer could be good), enough to maybe win closer to 9 games. The issue is really the coaching staff. So I wanted to ask, who is on your all time Panthers coaching staff. I don't know my full staff yet, but the guys I like are

Head Coach: Riverboat Ron Rivera has the best win percentage of any coach we have had, is well respected in the community and is largely beloved by his plays. People have been knocking on the idea of "culture" but culture is really important and this team was known for having a great locker room culture during his tenure aided of course by some great veterans like TD, Luke, Cam, and Greg. But it starts with Ron. 

WR: Ricky Proehl was a player and a big part of both Super Bowl panther teams, first as a player and then as a coach. He helped a lot of players surpass their potential - I am thinking of Philly Brown's performance in the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl. Basically had nothing to work with and made them part of a really potent offense.

RB: Jim Skipper Who else could it be? He was here forever, survived multiple HC firings and gave us some amazing running backs through the years. A no brainer.

Defensive Coordinator: Sean McDermott oversaw two an excellent defense here and is now a very successful head coach in Buffalo. 

DL: Eric Washington: Unlike Proehl, he had much more talent to work with, but getting pressure with a four man rush was a huge part of this teams success for much of its history. He had solid success in Chicago and and is kicking but in Buffalo with McDermott. 

LB: Sam Mills (duh)Was the heart of the team when it went to the playoffs in 1996, when it went to the Super Bowl in 2003. Might be the heart of the team still. I hope this team gets back to being at a place where it is deserving of his legacy. 

DB: Steve Wilks This might be some 2015 bias, but he made some good things happen with pretty mediocre players. Coached Thieves Row that had a lot of takeaways and made Mike Mitchell look good.

Curious to hear what other coaches folks liked from past Panther teams.

Happy Offeseason!

Only Changes

DC Jack Del Rio

You didn't list OC and mine is Dan Henning

• Pie 6

Much as I love Proehl, our best receiver coach was Richard Williamson. I'd take Mike Trgovac over Eric Washington too.

Brad Seely is likely the top special teams coach. Some would say Scott O'Brien but everyone who had to work with him hated him.

OC is Dan Henning or Gil Haskell.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Only Changes

DC Jack Del Rio

Almost put Jack Del Rio except he wasn't here very long. I didn't list an OC as, well, to be honest I don't have a lot of positive associations with this team and offense the best ones that come to my mind being 2015 and 1999 neither of which can be attributed to Henning, but he did do some solid things during his time, and his competition is pretty bad.

2 minutes ago, Steves89 said:

Almost put Jack Del Rio except he wasn't here very long. I didn't list an OC as, well, to be honest I don't have a lot of positive associations with this team and offense the best ones that come to my mind being 2015 and 1999 neither of which can be attributed to Henning, but he did do some solid things during his time, and his competition is pretty bad.

Henning was a SB winning OC with the Redskins and probably the sole reason why we came back in SB38.  After Billicheat knew our every step in the 1st QTR.  Henning changed things up and had it not been for a Kasey poor kick off.  We might have won that game. 

• Pie 5

14 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Only Changes

DC Jack Del Rio

Del Rio was good, no doubt about it. But it helped that he had a good helping of talent, especially in the front 7.    Best defensive line we ever had with Peppers, Rucker in his Prime, Jenkins healthy, and Buckner.  And the linebackers were great, with Morgan and Fields (before injuries and cancer took their toll).  

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

Del Rio was good, no doubt about it. But it helped that he had a good helping of talent, especially in the front 7.    Best defensive line we ever had with Peppers, Rucker in his Prime, Jenkins healthy, and Buckner.  And the linebackers were great, with Morgan and Fields (before injuries and cancer took their toll).  

Well Del Rio's defense did have those players but you still have to have a decent game plan and he was great for his one season.   

44 minutes ago, RumHam said:

OP is Cam-wagon era. Honestly Henning was awful. I'll take Chud as OC b/c we were exciting. Norv was better than Henning.

Only 2011 Chud though. 2012 Chud drank way too much of his own Kool-Aid. 

I'd probably take 2011 Chud by a hair over Henning, but I'd be fine with Henning. I feel like Fox often hampered him.

• Pie 2