• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Down or Trade Away Player(s)

DaveThePanther2008

I was goofing around with the Draft Simulators and did one without any trades. Our first two picks are 6 and 106.  100 spots in-between picks.  No 2nd and No 3rd.

Is that pick at 6 worth holding onto knowing we have no more picks until all of the potential starters have been drafted? We are basically giving in that we will only have one starter from the 2022 draft.  I pray we don't trade away picks next year to get back into this draft which is why I am a proponent of trading down and getting a couple extra picks. 

Either that or we shop players on our roster for additional picks.  CMC being a key candidate. 

Last year i was fully against trading him but with a 2nd year of him being on the IR it just doesn't seem to be a good idea to hold onto him waiting for another injury filled season. 

How do we take advantage of this draft without sacrificing picks from 2023 and beyond?

We absolutely should not trade away future picks but that's something we've shown every willingness to do under the Rhule regime.

We should shop CMC. He's a huge contract and injury prone. I just don't know what he could honestly be expected to fetch. Given that, I guess I'd prefer we hang onto him and hope he can bounce back from the injury issues then let the next staff decide to keep him or put him on the auction block.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Trading CMC is cap suicide. May as well throw that idea out the window unless we get a Trey Lance-like trade up haul.

I never really think about the cap repercussions but it obviously must be considered.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We absolutely should not trade away future picks but that's something we've shown every willingness to do under the Rhule regime.

We should shop CMC. He's a huge contract and injury prone. I just don't know what he could honestly be expected to fetch. Given that, I guess I'd prefer we hang onto him and hope he can bounce back from the injury issues then let the next staff decide to keep him or put him on the auction block.

That is what I am most fearful about.  Rhule is on the hot seat and starts trading picks from 2023 and beyond to save is @SS.

That's kind of why I hope we trade down.  Pick up a couple extra picks in rounds 2 and 3 and still get a quality player in round one.  Fortunately for us this draft has many offensive linemen that can fill the bill.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I never really think about the cap repercussions but it obviously must be considered.

That is what I am most fearful about.  Rhule is on the hot seat and starts trading picks from 2023 and beyond to save is @SS.

That's kind of why I hope we trade down.  Pick up a couple extra picks in rounds 2 and 3 and still get a quality player in round one.  Fortunately for us this draft has many offensive linemen that can fill the bill.

$18.6 mil in dead cap if we trade him. Next year it drops to a little under $13 mil.

If we aren't trying to sign anyone in free agency this offseason, it doesn't matter if we trade him and nuke the cap.

Otherwise, that puts us at cap of roughly -$1.5 mil for 2022.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

$18.6 mil in dead cap if we trade him. Next year it drops to a little under $13 mil.

If we aren't trying to sign anyone in free agency this offseason, it doesn't matter if we trade him and nuke the cap.

Otherwise, that puts us at cap of roughly -$1.5 mil for 2022.

I think trading Christian would be the 'quarterback in next years draft' move. Even if we're horrible next year we might have to leap frog a few teams to draft a quarterback. If that's the case we need more picks somehow, even if they're mid rounders. If we keep him it would be for a quarterback we've taken this year.

Edited by Krovvy

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Actually in all fairness, Rhule didn’t trade away future picks until Fitts came along.  So I don’t think you can blame Rhule entirely 

There isn't anyone on this team I would call untradeable. All are replaceable. Everyone is expendable. And we're gonna lose anyways. Few would be around by the time we're a serious contender anyways. 

Just don't trade away future picks. Or do. I don't care. We're fugged anyways for a few years if we're gonna be stupid enough to keep Rhule around.

• Pie 6

On 2/13/2022 at 12:10 PM, kungfoodude said:

Trading CMC is cap suicide. May as well throw that idea out the window unless we get a Trey Lance-like trade up haul.

If we trade him pre June 1st we would lose about $4.2m in cap space, not sure if I would call that cap suicide.  If we trade him after June 1st we would actually save about $8.6m in cap space this year.

On 2/13/2022 at 12:10 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Usually fans overestimate what their own players are worth but we might actually be understimated what CMC would get.  You have to remember you don't trade a player, you trade their contract.

Everyone keeps talking about his massive contract but honestly its massive for us because we paid a huge signing bonus and have already restructured it once.

A team that trades for him will only be responsible for his yearly salary, of which only 8.1m of it is gaurenteed and all of that is this year.  They would basically be paying for a pay as you go contract.

Christian McCaffrey Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

If they keep him for 1 year it would a 8.4m contract.

2 years it would be 20.2m for two years, so only $10.1m for each year.

If they keep him for all four it will only work out to $11m a year.

$11m a year isn't a bad contract for an elite playmaker, just remember Robby's cap hit will be $16.8m

Also if he gets hurt they are only on the hook for the guaranteed salary this year.

Is there a contending type of team out there that would give a 2nd for CMC for $8m?  Someone like the BIlls or Chiefs?  What about the Cardinals or Packers?  Might make Rodgers or Murry happy/

• Pie 2