• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Great Pickett Poll

davos

Do You Want Pickett as our franchise QB? Added Q: Regardless— would Corral and/or Willis be y/n?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Let’s get it on record. Pickett—yay or nay?

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Damn where to start here.  Yes, being a competent starter is my bar for a quarterback to be somewhat successful.  I mean poo we picked WG in the 3rd and that was a wasted pick.   And the reason I am saying day 3 starters is because well you know we dont have a day 2 pick.  So the next chance we would get in drafting someone would be round 4, day 3.  Hope that helps.

As far as HCBU qbs go there has been one in modern history and that was damn near 20 years ago.  The odds are absolutely astronomical as they are for getting a quality starter in the 4rth round then adding the HCBU aspect do it and it turns into an impossibility.  So in short I can say with 99.99% certainty that he we pick Glass in the 4rth its just a wasted pick.  

Its a new era in NFL the game is completely different then it was a decade ago.  More times then not you have to spend draft capital to get your qb and then that is still a crap shoot.  Trying to get your guy from round 3 or so on is a fools way to try and build your team.  The data simply back that up.  Can you get a SB type qb from round 2 on?  Sure, are the odds in your favor thats going to happen?  Hell no

I am ok with drafting Glass, but it would need to be 6th/7th round. Best case would be he signs here undrafted. Give him a year or two to develop and in an extremely rare case we could have a Romo/Warner/Delhomme undrafted QB become a starter. More likely he could be a project/backup for us. We just watch the undrafted QB for the Ravens step in and throw up some nice numbers. Glass would basically be our backup with a slim chance of starting one day. In the 6th/7th he would be pretty low risk (I mean otherwise Rhule may draft a LS again). 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I am ok with drafting Glass, but it would need to be 6th/7th round. Best case would be he signs here undrafted. Give him a year or two to develop and in an extremely rare case we could have a Romo/Warner/Delhomme undrafted QB become a starter. More likely he could be a project/backup for us. We just watch the undrafted QB for the Ravens step in and throw up some nice numbers. Glass would basically be our backup with a slim chance of starting one day. In the 6th/7th he would be pretty low risk (I mean otherwise Rhule may draft a LS again). 

See here is where I think analytics should come in.   There needs to be some intense research about the quality and productivity of late round picks.  History says it sure as hell isnt qbs.  Without any data I would guess RB's and iol and special team players make up the bulk of the late round picks that actually contribute to teams.  I have said for years at some point in the draft you have to get guys that will do something for you and not projects.  I keep seeing this Glass kid being mentioned by the same folks over and over and over and not really sure what they are seeing.   It would be a statistical anomaly for this kid to ever do anything in the NFL.  So why go against data and waste a pick?  

And yeah you just pointed it out, Rhule drafted a fuging LS (who didnt play btw), I mean at that point wtf are you doing?

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Damn where to start here.  Yes, being a competent starter is my bar for a quarterback to be somewhat successful.  I mean poo we picked WG in the 3rd and that was a wasted pick.   And the reason I am saying day 3 starters is because well you know we dont have a day 2 pick.  So the next chance we would get in drafting someone would be round 4, day 3.  Hope that helps.

As far as HCBU qbs go there has been one in modern history and that was damn near 20 years ago.  The odds are absolutely astronomical as they are for getting a quality starter in the 4rth round then adding the HCBU aspect do it and it turns into an impossibility.  So in short I can say with 99.99% certainty that he we pick Glass in the 4rth its just a wasted pick.  

Its a new era in NFL the game is completely different then it was a decade ago.  More times then not you have to spend draft capital to get your qb and then that is still a crap shoot.  Trying to get your guy from round 3 or so on is a fools way to try and build your team.  The data simply back that up.  Can you get a SB type qb from round 2 on?  Sure, are the odds in your favor thats going to happen?  Hell no

Your facts are glaringly wrong. Bad research and bad math. Brush up on your HBCUs.

13 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

sweet retort

I agree, day 3 QBs hardly ever work out as franchise guys.  Backups?  Sure, but we have a much more glaring hole at QB1.  The facts are HBCU players didn't get offers from any/many FBS schools coming out of high school. Sure some choose to go to smaller schools for their educational preferences.  However, if these players really want to pursue football in the NFL, they take the FBS route if the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by 45catfan

Trade that damn pick for something in the first something in the second, get your C,LT and use that 2nd on a upside QB like Carson Strong. He's young enough with enough upside where his rookie contract could be gold. NFL size at 6'4" 220 and a damn cannon for an arm (able to stretch an NFL defense and they know it) and a 36 TD to 8int ratio like 4100+ yards, accurate and only a junior in college.

52 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Trade that damn pick for something in the first something in the second, get your C,LT and use that 2nd on a upside QB like Carson Strong. He's young enough with enough upside where his rookie contract could be gold. NFL size at 6'4" 220 and a damn cannon for an arm (able to stretch an NFL defense and they know it) and a 36 TD to 8int ratio like 4100+ yards, accurate and only a junior in college.

Strong struggled at the Senior Bowl. That hurt his stock pretty bad.

The difference between Pickett and Strong is huge.

Strong is a better product at a younger age than Pickett.

Imagine Strong and that arm of his with two years of NFL strengthening and coaching instead of two more years of college ball. 

Strong's upside is so much greater than the older Pickett he's burning brighter sooner and an NFL prospect as a junior.

NOT Fhules Gold.

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

The difference between Pickett and Strong is huge.

Strong is a better product at a younger age than Pickett.

Imagine Strong and that arm of his with two years of NFL strengthening and coaching instead of two more years of college ball. 

Strong's upside is so much greater than the older Pickett he's burning brighter sooner and an NFL prospect as a junior.

NOT Fhules Gold.

His deep ball inconsistency and more importantly his lack of mobility is going to be this kids downfall

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

His deep ball inconsistency and more importantly his lack of mobility is going to be this kids downfall

That golden arm yo! It's the NFL, that matters. He doesn't throw a lot of ints seems to take good care of the ball. Threw over 4000. Proof is in the pudding, what he's done on the field. At a young age and already having NFL height and arm strength. Much better prospect than Pickett.

7 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

That golden arm yo! It's the NFL, that matters. He doesn't throw a lot of ints seems to take good care of the ball. Threw over 4000. Proof is in the pudding, what he's done on the field. At a young age and already having NFL height and arm strength. Much better prospect than Pickett.

He is in an air raid offense so I would take the stats with a grain of salt.  And he was mainly operating out the shotgun so he is going to have to learn to play more under center and dropping back.  Which again teams are probably going to shy away just because of his knee and complete lack of immobility