• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Really really hate my fear of flying...

shinner

Look at it this way. Apply for an hope you get the job. Take the job, knowing that it's going to cause some anxiety. If it's unbearable the first few trips, then quit the job. Best case scenario - you become employed and overcome your fear of flying in the process while accumulating tons of frequent flyer miles. Look at this as the best opportunity you'll ever get to overcome your fear of flying. That's the best advice I can give.

Good luck.

Agreed. You had mentioned most of the travel being on the East coast---look at like this---you'll never have much more than 90 minutes in the air at any given time, especially being based in the Carolinas (which I am going to assume you are).

Really?

Wow.

I just go with the old saying that the definition of a good landing is one you walk away from.

All else is a matter of opinion and tolerance.

Yeah, flew into Vegas one time when the thermals were coming off the desert real hard. People were praying out loud during the last couple minutes of the landing.

Good times.

she gets a pretty good "hang over" from the atavan, yup, but it worked for her!

I don't know if that's any way to live, really. Flying 3 times a week, taking drugs each day to cope with it.

Look at it this way. Apply for an hope you get the job. Take the job, knowing that it's going to cause some anxiety. If it's unbearable the first few trips, then quit the job. Best case scenario - you become employed and overcome your fear of flying in the process while accumulating tons of frequent flyer miles. Look at this as the best opportunity you'll ever get to overcome your fear of flying. That's the best advice I can give.

Believe me, I've been thinking that since talking to the guy. I have forced myself to fly before and it was pretty agonizing.

I hate flying yet do it constantly for my job. The good part is the frequent flyer miles and the status upgrades. I get bumped to first class almost every flight now. First class really helps quell the fear of flying.

I've been upgraded to first class...didn't do a thing for me. It's not a matter of being physically uncomfortable, it's all in my head. The bullshit you have to go through just to get on the plane and then more bs once you're off it, only adds to the misery.

Agreed. You had mentioned most of the travel being on the East coast---look at like this---you'll never have much more than 90 minutes in the air at any given time, especially being based in the Carolinas (which I am going to assume you are).

Well, I'm in PA, but I think for the most part I think flights would be 3hrs or less.

One of my best friends had severe anxiety which developed into hypochondria. It became debilitating for him and was something all of his friends and loved ones had to deal with frequently. He also had a terrible fear of flying. He finally decided to go see a psychiatrist about his anxiety. He didn't want medication, but after only three sessions talking with a medical doctor, he had come a long way. He only went to those three sessions and his life is completely different now. I know its different for everyone, and since I don't know you it's just a tad bit awkward saying "hey go see a psychiatrist" but figured I'd throw it out there since I know someone that it helped tremendously in such a short period of time. He flies for work every few months and has said his anxiety and fear of flying isn't as bad. He still gets antsy but has said it's no where near what it used to be.

Happy thanksgiving!

One of my best friends had severe anxiety which developed into hypochondria. It became debilitating for him and was something all of his friends and loved ones had to deal with frequently. He also had a terrible fear of flying. He finally decided to go see a psychiatrist about his anxiety. He didn't want medication, but after only three sessions talking with a medical doctor, he had come a long way. He only went to those three sessions and his life is completely different now. I know its different for everyone, and since I don't know you it's just a tad bit awkward saying "hey go see a psychiatrist" but figured I'd throw it out there since I know someone that it helped tremendously in such a short period of time.

That might be helpful but with the way our govt views people who see a shrink (or see a doc about depression), I ain't too keen on it. I'm not nuts, I just have trust/control issues with flying.

He flies for work every few months and has said his anxiety and fear of flying isn't as bad. He still gets antsy but has said it's no where near what it used to be.

20 some years ago when I started in the industry I work in, I used to fly a lot more....of course I was in my 20s then and had no family, but it didn't bother me nearly as much. So I don't know what changed...I used to think it was the idea of what would happen to my family if I ate it, but I'm insured up the arse...they'd be well off if something like that happened. So, all I can figure is that I'm feeling my age and don't wanna buy the farm traveling for some company. It's possible that I'd go back to not being very bothered once I had a regular routine of flying.

Happy thanksgiving!

Back atcha!

Well.....I talked to a guy I used to work with yesterday. He did this job until being laid off (same day as me and a bunch of others). Had good things to say about the job...said it's a piece of cake and not a whole lot different than the quick customer training we used to do as part of starting up a new piece of equipment. Slightly more as it involves running a couple powerpoints. He said he spent most of his time in the northeast and quite a bit of it was to areas he could drive to. Said he went to Houston once when things were slow here and they could use some help in the midwest territory. Said there were 4 guys in the country doing this job. A guy in the east (him), one in the midwest and one in the west. The 4th guy pretty much did the whole country but for a different product line. So.....I think I'm gonna give the manager a call on Monday and throw my name in the hat....assuming the wife doesn't have a problem with me being gone M-F of every week. I guess I'll just have to force myself to fly when I have to.

Good luck man.

It bothered me when I first started my job, but I have to fly pretty often now, and I have no problems what so ever.

Get a laptop that plays DVD's and some really good headphones, and hit up redbox/blockbuster before the airport. Always have a few in the computer bag in case you have stalls (northeast in winter, always delays) and catch up on some good movies. It will take your mind off of what is going on.

fuzz

Good luck man.

It bothered me when I first started my job, but I have to fly pretty often now, and I have no problems what so ever.

Get a laptop that plays DVD's and some really good headphones, and hit up redbox/blockbuster before the airport. Always have a few in the computer bag in case you have stalls (northeast in winter, always delays) and catch up on some good movies. It will take your mind off of what is going on.

Thanks man....I've always taken something along. Back in the days when portable CD players were rare, I bought one while in California for some training just so I could listen to music on the flight home. Those were the days when the problem wasn't too bad. The last long-ish flight I had, maybe 5 years ago, I think to Houston (3hrs....hey, that's long for me!), I had my laptop loaded with some TV episodes I missed along with a few movies. I put the backpack in the overhead storage for takeoff figuring once the plane leveled off, I'd grab it and zone out to some video. I couldn't get out of the friggin' seat. Not to get the laptop, not to piss, nothing.

Don't let your fears run your life.

Like many things....easier said than done. I know how stupid it is, but that doesn't make it any easier to fix....just the opposite, really. It's frustrating.

Archived