• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Really really hate my fear of flying...

shinner

Not only does it keep me from traveling to places I'd like to visit, but now it probably keeps me from getting a job.

Talked to a guy at the company who laid me off in April. He's in charge of the training dept and is probably going to hire some new trainers late 1st Q, 2010.

It's a leave home on Monday, come back on Friday job traveling around training customers on equipment they've bought. He said the usual week consists of flying on Monday, do a training session on Tuesday, fly again on Wednesday, another training class on Thursday and then fly home either Thursday night or Friday (my choice). No weekend work, though there might be travel on a weekend if a training session was sold for a Monday or Friday. No tools to carry other than a laptop and projector. No heavy lifting. Didn't even ask him what the salary range is. Training for the most part would be limited to the east coast.

3 flights each week....would be a lot for me to overcome in light of me great (and yes, I know, illogical) fear of flying. I don't know if I could just force myself to do it. He did say he hoped that in time it would become a much more local job where driving to customers sites would be the norm.

It's not guaranteed that I'd get the job even thought I have a couple years with the company in a service capacity and know pretty much the entire product line. He said to let him know if I was interested and want to be on the short list of possible hires. In this phucked up economy I hate to turn down any chance for a job, especially as I suspect this will pay at least what I was making before. I just don't know if I can hack the travel.

Well you're more likely to get in a car wreck than the plane crashing. My first time flying was last year to Hawaii. Longg flight, but it wasn't that bad at all. Taking off and landing was fun I thought. I got bored though since it was a long flight and was ready to get out when we landed.

I think they have programs that help you get over the fear of flying. I'm not scared to fly but before every take off and landing i start freaking out a bit, i just start thinking too much about how easy it is to die, sometimes i do that when i'm driving down a highway, it almost paralyzes me.

Brother they make drugs to compensate for flying. Talk to your doc and get them. Eventually you will get used to it. And you will accumulate a ton of frequent flyer miles to fly your family on a nice vacation over the summer.

You're welcome.

Well you're more likely to get in a car wreck than the plane crashing.

That's what they say.....though I imagine the survival rates of each swing the pendulum back the other way a fair bit :)

My first time flying was last year to Hawaii. Longg flight, but it wasn't that bad at all. Taking off and landing was fun I thought. I got bored though since it was a long flight and was ready to get out when we landed.

There's nothing about flying that I like....other than you get to where you're going a bit faster. I'm not a huge fan of takeoffs but I don't have a problem with landings. I don't like being cooped up for hours though. And with all the BS you have to go through these days to get on a plane, a short flight nearly takes as long as driving once you figure in all the waiting around time at the airport, getting through security, the flight, time waiting on baggage, then more time getting the rental car. Just one big hassle.

I think they have programs that help you get over the fear of flying. I'm not scared to fly but before every take off and landing i start freaking out a bit, i just start thinking too much about how easy it is to die, sometimes i do that when i'm driving down a highway, it almost paralyzes me.

I have no problems with driving...even after my accident last year. Maybe for a few days I was a little jittery in a car at highway speeds, but it didn't last. In 20 yrs of field service work I've driven probably 700,000 miles so I'm way more comfortable behind the wheel than sitting in a tube with wings at 35,000 feet. A lot of people don't like to drive....I do.

Brother they make drugs to compensate for flying. Talk to your doc and get them. Eventually you will get used to it.

Yeah, I know...I just hate the idea of it. I don't know how bad they whack you out though....concern is being able to safely hop in a rental and get to where I need to be.

And you will accumulate a ton of frequent flyer miles to fly your family on a nice vacation over the summer.

That's definitely a plus....assuming these bitches haven't figured out a way to keep the FF miles from their employees.

phobias are a wonderful thing!!!

yeah, wonderful...

girl that I work with hates flying and when we had to take a trip...Atavan (sp) and it worked really well for her.

what what what?

Ativan (Atavan) is a benzodiazepine. It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.

I hate that....you take a drug to get rid of something and the thing you're trying to get relief from turns up in side effects!

I do have a scheduled checkup with my family doc on Dec 2nd I think so I'll run things by him. I've talked to him before about it years ago when I thought I was gonna be sent to San Fran. He gave me something then but I never ended up going. One night when I couldn't sleep I figured I'd give one of those pills a shot to see if it would help me sleep....didn't do a damn thing.

1. I have a pilot's license

2. I almost died in a plane

3. I no longer like to fly

4. I have to fly

5. I take Ativan when I do

6. Ativan is the bomb

Really?

Wow.

I just go with the old saying that the definition of a good landing is one you walk away from.

All else is a matter of opinion and tolerance.

Look at it this way. Apply for an hope you get the job. Take the job, knowing that it's going to cause some anxiety. If it's unbearable the first few trips, then quit the job. Best case scenario - you become employed and overcome your fear of flying in the process while accumulating tons of frequent flyer miles. Look at this as the best opportunity you'll ever get to overcome your fear of flying. That's the best advice I can give.

Good luck.

Not only does it keep me from traveling to places I'd like to visit, but now it probably keeps me from getting a job.

Talked to a guy at the company who laid me off in April. He's in charge of the training dept and is probably going to hire some new trainers late 1st Q, 2010.

It's a leave home on Monday, come back on Friday job traveling around training customers on equipment they've bought. He said the usual week consists of flying on Monday, do a training session on Tuesday, fly again on Wednesday, another training class on Thursday and then fly home either Thursday night or Friday (my choice). No weekend work, though there might be travel on a weekend if a training session was sold for a Monday or Friday. No tools to carry other than a laptop and projector. No heavy lifting. Didn't even ask him what the salary range is. Training for the most part would be limited to the east coast.

3 flights each week....would be a lot for me to overcome in light of me great (and yes, I know, illogical) fear of flying. I don't know if I could just force myself to do it. He did say he hoped that in time it would become a much more local job where driving to customers sites would be the norm.

It's not guaranteed that I'd get the job even thought I have a couple years with the company in a service capacity and know pretty much the entire product line. He said to let him know if I was interested and want to be on the short list of possible hires. In this phucked up economy I hate to turn down any chance for a job, especially as I suspect this will pay at least what I was making before. I just don't know if I can hack the travel.

I hate flying yet do it constantly for my job. The good part is the frequent flyer miles and the status upgrades. I get bumped to first class almost every flight now. First class really helps quell the fear of flying.

Archived