• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

“If you have a QB you like, You take a shot there”

ncfan

2 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

He also states that CBs are a game changing position.  My guess, they thought Horn had a lot better chance of becoming a great CB than Slater did of becoming a great LT so they went with Horn.

In regard to Fields, they simply might not have liked him for whatever reason.  Teams can vary greatly on QB evaluations.  Also its possible they liked Fields but didn't feel like QB was a need because they had just traded for Darnold.

It sounds crazy to us fans, but I think once they traded for Darnold, drafting a QB was pretty much off the table, for all we know if the trade for Darnold hadn't' happened we might have took Fields or Jones. 

My guess is they convinced themselves (probably Fitts included) that none of the QBs that were likely to be there when we picked had as good, or better, chance of Darnold being successful.  

My guess (which has basically been confirmed by Rhule) is that Fitts has input but the ultimate decision is Rhule's to make.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

LT are easier to identify. We had this year's 2nd team all pro LT identified as a guard. See how easy that was. 

Devil's advocate--It happens a lot to more than just us.  2 of the best LTs in the league (Dion Dawkins & Dave Bakhtiari) were supposed guards at the next level and didn't fit at LT.          

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

but your chances of finding a good QB are less, you have to take those chances when they present themselves.  

It's easier to build a good enough line than it is to find a good QB.

That might be true.. But when your forcing it past the risk reward situation you're failing the rest of the team..

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Interesting that there's one top QB prospect that he specifically DIDN'T mention... 

Corral is not at the senior bowl due to injuries.. So he might have been omitted for that reason..

The interesting part is he sees Wills in the same tier as Pickett..

Edited by WOW!!

31 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

He also states that CBs are a game changing position.  My guess, they thought Horn had a lot better chance of becoming a great CB than Slater did of becoming a great LT so they went with Horn.

In regard to Fields, they simply might not have liked him for whatever reason.  Teams can vary greatly on QB evaluations.  Also its possible they liked Fields but didn't feel like QB was a need because they had just traded for Darnold.

It sounds crazy to us fans, but I think once they traded for Darnold, drafting a QB was pretty much off the table, for all we know if the trade for Darnold hadn't' happened we might have took Fields or Jones. 

My guess is they convinced themselves (probably Fitts included) that none of the QBs that were likely to be there when we picked had as good, or better, chance of Darnold being successful.  

Man, weren’t they wrong. Horn will likely be a good CB, but woosh on the Sam Darnold thing. 

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

You can also shorten a extornary MVP QB career effectiveness playing behind a bad Oline for years..

You don’t completely ignore the OL. QB is just more important. You can find competent OL in rounds 2-5 (especially interior and I know we are missing picks this is generally speaking) and free agency. A franchise QB behind a competent OL will take you further than a random QB behind a solid OL. The Colts had one of the best OLs and missed the playoffs by losing to the Jags… 

The Bengals have Burrow and plenty of weapons and are obviously competitive, but I guarantee you they are addressing their OL this offseason. 9 sacks in one game is Panthers bad…

2 hours ago, davos said:

Devil's advocate--It happens a lot to more than just us.  2 of the best LTs in the league (Dion Dawkins & Dave Bakhtiari) were supposed guards at the next level and didn't fit at LT.          

True. But most NFL coaches don't come out and openly say it making themselves look like even bigger jackasses. 

• Pie 2