• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell

LinvilleGorge

22 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I don't know. I can tell you as someone who watched every game he played that he didn't have many batted down. Will that translate at the NFL level? I don't know. Keep in mind though that Cam was 6'5" and Cam had way more balls tipped at the LOS than you would think for a guy at that height. I think a lot of it was because of the style of ball he threw. Dude threw lasers. They got there fast but they also came across the LOS low.

Batted passes typically occur on short drops and interior pressure, something we featured a good bit of this past season, under Rivera I do not recall ''a lot'' of tipped passes at the OL. 

2 minutes ago, Panther53521 said:

I know they are different people, but when I see Howell play, all I can see is Trubisky. 

I said when his was drafted, he was picked way to high

Trubisky isn’t even in the same stratosphere as Sam. Also - I don’t understand the Trubisky hate. Is it because people don’t like the UNC basketball team? 

Trubisky took certified bonehead coach Nagy to the playoffs twice 

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

So I'm watching more tape on Howell and I'm seeing way more stuff I DON'T like about his game

First and foremost:

The ball pats and windup. Holy crap, I am not sure what his average time to throw is, but I'd wager it's one of the worst in the class thanks to the ball pat he has to do before he throws, and then his long, outfielder like windup to throw the ball. It is bad. Really bad. Generally speaking, throwing motion isn't something that can get coached out at this point (see Cam Newton and The Golden Calf of Bristol as examples). This is a problem not only for secondary guys getting a jump on him, but also D-Linemen being able to get sack fumble son him at the next level due to the eternity it takes to get rid of the ball. 

Secondly: He does not seem to process the field quickly. I don't know if that's the offense UNC runs, but he doesn't seem to move from his reads quickly. 

The more I see the less I like, especially at 6.

Howell is sliding down my personal board. 

No offense brother and I agree with most of your posts but why in the hell are you “watching tape” on a QB at 9pm on Wednesday night in January?

1 hour ago, frankw said:

This is said pretty much every year. You folks who don't want a QB under any circumstances would be best served to avoid draft talk for the next few months because watching three years of Kyle Allen Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold guarantees it will be under heavy consideration like it or not.

Sure.

Let the next guy die behind this line like Darnold and Newton did this year.

Fix the Oline, then worry about a starting QB. 

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Sure.

Let the next guy die behind this line like Darnold and Newton did this year.

Fix the Oline, then worry about a starting QB. 

Yeah if only the Bengals, Chargers, Cardinals listened to this… I’m also curious to who the best QB was in the ACC? 

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You have repeatedly personally attacked people for simply holding a different view of draft prospects than you do. You take this stuff way too personally. I just laugh at you when it's directed toward me but when you direct it towards others I gotta do something about it.

Sounds like what you did to me on another forum recently. 

Honestly I've always felt if you're sold on a QB as a franchise guy, you draft him as soon as you can. Those are first round QBs. Other QBs you think could overcome some major flaws, those are later round guys.

I'm not sure but I don't see Howell in the first camp, and we are sorely missing picks.  I think he, like most all of these QBs, can have decent success in the right system / with the right team.

I just don't see Rhule as that for any of these rookies.  He needs an incredible talent to carry him...

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Icege said:

Malik Willis and Sam Howell have been so difficult to evaluate.

The stats uplift Howell and bury Willis, but watching the game itself uplifts Willis while burying Howell.

Pickett and Corral are in a similar boat for me. Advanced metrics don't look great, but on the field looks much better.

What advanced metrics for Pickett don’t look good?