• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brooks' mock :Two all beef patties, special Sauce...

top dawg

22 hours ago, frankw said:

I can't for the life of me understand banging the table for a corner after watching these recent playoff games. If the goal is to compete with the best it's your offense that is going to have to get it done. The league has clearly shifted. Yes there are some very good corners that still command respect but in general nobody in the NFL is losing sleep over one and people really need to bring themselves out of the 90's and 2000's and into the 2020's.

Banging the table? Not really happening. But some of you are acting like corners no longer matter in the modern NFL being that "the league has shifted." That's counterintuitive as far as I'm concerned. We might as well throw anybody back there and let teams run 50 points on us every week. 🙃 

Corners are still necessary, and shutdown corners are even more valuable due to the league being what it is. 

Football is the ultimate team sport, and I will never cosign skipping over a player who's markedly better than what's left just because what's left is a perceived need. That's not how you ultimately build contenders. Now if players are close, I might justify it. If you can get fair compensation in a trade down in a year when you need picks, that would make sense. But you don't give players away, and you don't throw a pick away on a bad deal.

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Banging the table? Not really happening. But some of you are acting like corners no longer matter in the modern NFL being that "the league has shifted." That's counterintuitive as far as I'm concerned. We might as well throw anybody back there and let teams run 50 points on us every week. 🙃 

Corners are still necessary, and shutdown corners are even more valuable due to the league being what it is. 

Football is the ultimate team sport, and I will never cosign skipping over a player who's markedly better than what's left just because what's left is a perceived need. That's not how you ultimately build contenders. Now if players are close, I might justify it. If you can get fair compensation in a trade down in a year when you need picks, that would make sense. But you don't give players away, and you don't throw a pick away on a bad deal.

Of course they matter. But as we have seen they can be neutralized and the calls we have seen seem to lean more and more toward offenses the last few seasons and the best teams are taking note. Until that changes offensive skill positions are going to be the most sought after and the Panthers would be wise to follow suit. We have done the defensive identity route for a quarter of a century and we have zero back to back winning seasons to show for it. Perhaps it's time to shift to the other side of the ball.