• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Lombardi's 7 QB Qualities

Icege

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Who are you leaning towards? 

Before the write up, my order of preference (not necessarily best-to-worst talent-wise) was:
1. Matt Corral
2. Kenny Pickett
3. Malik Willis
4. Sam Howell
5. Carson Strong
6. Desmond Ridder

After the write up (but before film study!):
1. Sam Howell
2. Desmond Ridder
3. Carson Strong
4. Kenny Pickett
5. Matt Corral
6. Malik Willis

Next step for me is to watch 3-4 games for each QB (my preference is to watch one of their best games, worst games, a game vs a top-25 opponent, and a Bowl/Championship/rivalry game if available). I watched Pickett's 2021 game vs. Duke earlier and still have 2021 NC State, 2021 Clemson, and 2020 Clemson games to watch for him.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Vick had 8.5" hands and averaged 1.5 fumbles a game if my math is correct.  98 fumbles in 143 games, he ran more than average but plenty of those were in the pocket

I was trying to find how many times Pickett has fumbled to try and find the very same stat for him, but most of the page 1 stuff on Google didn't have it for some reason. 😞

EDIT: Found a site!

28 fumbles over 52 games (13:7).

Fumbles almost once every other game 😮

Edited by Icege
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I question whether Matt Rhule is smart enough to realize it, but by far his best bet for longevity is drafting the best rookie QB available. If you draft an OL at #6 and trot Darnold out there you're getting fired. If you draft an OL and go after another luke warm at best vet bandaid, you're getting fired. If you draft a promising rookie QB and sign some legit vet IOL help and improve to 7-8 wins you probably get another year.

100% agree.

We are on the hook for some of Bridgewater's contract and we still have Sam's contract. Throwing more money into the veteran QB, who may or may not be the answer, makes no sense.

Focusing on TOP TIER IOL should be Fitterer's focus in free agency.   I am talking about players that are established and consistently grade well.  Those normally aren't the players team franchise so they'll be available.  We need at least two of them. 

• Pie 2

This is the QB I want to draft.

Winning: 30 wins. Over 8 yards per attempt each season for the last 3 seasons.

Thick skin: A teen coming from multiple cultures. Raised in the heart of social turmoil. Seeing both sides. Caring for community while feeling their personal pain. Setting an example for and preparing everyone around them when times are bad while moving forward to a better day.

Work ethic: Has been getting up at 5AM for a decade to be a key contributor to society, perfect their business acumen, and develop their football skills and technique.

Football smarts: 4:1 TD to INT ratio over the past 3 seasons. Began studying Mike Leach's Air Raid offensive system at age 8 with adult mentors. Implementing that system at age 9. Mastering that system at age 10.

Innate ability: Great field vision. Quickest releases in the league. Comfortable in a pocket under pressure. Power to deliver a rope and touch to drop a dime. Can quickly presnap read a defense. Consistently throws receivers open and hits them in full stride. Reacts by reflex to take a loss and play another down. Prepared, confident, and consistent in converting 3rd/4th and long plays with the pass.

Carriage: Same cool and focused QB under pressure play after play for all 4 quarters whether their team is blowing a team out, in a shootout, or getting blown out.

Leadership: Allows players and coaches around them to perform beyond their highest individual level by shouldering the complexities with confidence and allowing everyone to not overthink, see the game in its simplest form, and enjoy their play on the field. Effortlessly leading their coaches, players, and community while setting a culture that attracts the best talent in the league to want to play with them and for them.

This QB is in the draft.