• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coaching News

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Someone said it earlier, Lovie is like John Fox as a HC or even Ron Rivera.  Their teams will be average more often than not, with a winning season sprinkled in here and there.  I guess the Bears were looking to be in the playoff hunt more often.  I still stand by Lovie is a better DC than a HC. 

Maybe if he gets the Houston job he can put it together this time and make them a legit team.  With that front office though, good luck to him!

it much easier to do worse than Ron/Lovie/Fox than it is to do better.  That's the catch. 

Ron/Lovie/Fox type likely can get you to a Super Bowl at some point.  Or close.  Maybe you win it, maybe you don't.   But it's up and down. Then teams see a Tomlin, Bill, etc....and want that.  But those are rare birds.  Very few teams will hit on that.  End up with Matt Rhule types often that are much worse than a Lovie. 

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

it much easier to do worse than Ron/Lovie/Fox than it is to do better.  That's the catch. 

Ron/Lovie/Fox type likely can get you to a Super Bowl at some point.  Or close.  Maybe you win it, maybe you don't.   But it's up and down. Then teams see a Tomlin, Bill, etc....and want that.  But those are rare birds.  Very few teams will hit on that.  End up with Matt Rhule types often that are much worse than a Lovie. 

Yeah, that's a rookie owner making hopefully his one and only REALLY stupid HC hire.  Tepper will never come out and admit it, but he's regretting the Rhule hire or at least the contract he gifted Matt.

The Texans have to decide whether they want average with Lovie or if they want to chance doing better than Lovie.  Like you said, it's harder to find better than average, but then again they know what they are getting.  So it may be like the Bucs situation, they know what he's capable of and if the turn around isn't fast enough, Lovie may get shown the door again after two or three seasons.  Fair or unfair, he turned the Bears around quickly so the Bucs probably expected that and so too the Texans.  Rookie HCs sometimes get the benefit of a doubt on that third year (like Rhule, unfortunately) however veteran coaches are expected to complete the turnaround quicker.

20 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Someone said it earlier, Lovie is like John Fox as a HC or even Ron Rivera.  Their teams will be average more often than not, with a winning season sprinkled in here and there.  I guess the Bears were looking to be in the playoff hunt more often.  I still stand by Lovie is a better DC than a HC. 

Maybe if he gets the Houston job he can put it together this time and make them a legit team.  With that front office though, good luck to him!

Yeah I’m not arguing against that. Just arguing against that he’s not HC material. He definitely is and has shown he can bring a team to a Super Bowl and has had success. The Bucs situation was weird. They were trending up and drafted a franchise qb #1 overall and made a 4 win jump that year. You can argue jameis isn’t a franchise qb but they didn’t know that at the time. Usually teams let that play out with the same HC who just started there.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Glazer...

Lovie is a fine coach.  But I think Flores remains the best candidate of this cycle.   And maybe you can't hire him with the lawsuit but he should of been snatched up before it got there. 

This really feels like a situation where the NFL stepped in and told the Texans something to the effect of...

"Look, we all know you want to hire McCown but given this Flores situation you CANNOT hire a pasty white dude whose only coaching experience is as an assistant at the HS level. That is going to look incredibly bad and honestly it's just a really fuging dumb thing to do period. We all know you're gonna fug this up anyway, so for the love of god can you at least hire a minority candidate? Lovie isn't a great coach, but dammit he's not going to be a complete dumpster fire and y'all are getting to the point of being an absolute embarrassment to the league."

• Flames 3

1 hour ago, Actionman0z said:

I think they will all get 2+ years of work, while the Panthers staff is on the perceived hot seat… however, nobody with knowledge or credibility has said Rhule is on a hot seat. The angry mob of witch hunting fans, as well as highly inept journalists like Joe Person stir up ideas by quoting ghosts, taking statements out of context, and asking execs and evaluators with a 30,000 ft view. 

Pep is interviewing and so far hasn’t been hired for the jobs he’s interviewed for. Shame. Maybe would have been the same here. 

After the debacles that was last season and the crumbling in 2020, if Rhule isn't on the hot seat to some degree then I really don't know what to make of Tepper. That's not to say it's a guarantee things won't improve this year, but how does someone look at 2020 and 2021 objectively and think 'yep, that's quality work'?