• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone still trust Tepper at this point?

Mr. Scot

Tepper got duped.  Matt Rhule got two or so NFL interviews for the same reasons Joe Brady got them.  NFL teams interview coaches that aren’t really qualified but are talked about.  All NFL interviews aren’t that serious.  The Jets essentially deemed Rhule unqualified and sent him back to college. 

Tepper/Hurney could of let Rhule get on that plane to NY.  Giants weren’t going to hire him once they heard his masterplan for bringing his Baylor/Temple staff 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

I really wish Ben Navarro would have been able to buy the team. There where reports that said Navarro was JR’s top candidate but the league basically forced JR to sell the team to Tepper for less money than the franchise was worth.

Never liked the fact that Goodell and the NFL were so eager to make Tepper an owner. Always seemed fishy to me.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Giants weren’t going to hire him once they heard his masterplan for bringing his Baylor/Temple staff 

That’s not true at all but keep on. I don’t like Rhule either but don’t be revisionist.

Chad Forbes went on a tear about that whole thing and tore into the Maras for not offering more money for Rhule at the time.

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Pie 1

I think the Giants planned on hiring Rhule until Tepper stepped in and offered him more money and control than anyone else would.  They panicked and hired Joe Judge, which felt like a joke of a hire at the time.  Then that joke of a hire went onto blow out the Panthers without most of their key players.  In a game that was supposed to be a "get right" game for us, too.  I was done with Matt Rhule after that.

If Tepper is still sold on Matt Rhule, we are fugged.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I still wanted Bienemy.

His arrest record is...concerning, but I'm not sure that's what prevented him from getting the Panthers job.

Bieniemy said himself that he was all in on Newton. Tepper clearly wasn't.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

His arrest record is...concerning, but I'm not sure that's what prevented him from getting the Panthers job.

It’s been reported that he doesn’t interview very well too. Granted I don’t know what all goes in on a head coach interview but if I were to guess when it comes up how much he does vs how much Reid does he doesn’t articulate it very well.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

All in on Cam for the final year of his contract was clearly the right call. Many of us said as much back then. Contract extension? Nah. 

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I know he had got in trouble when he was younger, but I believe in second chances and it seems he is believed in and really well-liked universally, so I am inclined to think those things are behind him.

But good point about the dynamic with Cam.  Hadn't thought about that report since that interview cycle.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn’t touch EB with a 10-foot pole. Based on his past and his arrest records the guy seems like an idiot. I know people can change but you can’t be very bright with a track record like his. Guy has some serious character issues.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I know he had got in trouble when he was younger, but I believe in second chances and it seems he is believed in and really well-liked universally, so I am inclined to think those things are behind him.

But good point about the dynamic with Cam.  Hadn't thought about that report since that interview cycle.

If at any point in your life you deemed it ok to put your hands on a woman without it being a life threatening incident you’re a pos.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Let's review David Tepper's miscues on the football side of things to date:

- kept Marty Hurney in place
- let Marty have a hand in picking the head coach
- hired Matt Rhule
- gave Rhule a big contract and full power
- has tried to move away from the "keep pounding" mantra

And as if those weren't bad enough, Tepper is currently expected to keep Rhule around for another year despite his being an utter disaster of a head coach.

Oy 😖

So in the light of all this ineptitude, I'm curious. After seeing him make dumb decision after dumb decision regarding the direction of the franchise, how many people still have faith in David Tepper as the Panthers owner?

Is your answer dependent on whether or not he keeps Matt Rhule?

No.  I do not trust him.  He has made a series of bad decisions and this team is getting worse every year under his ownership.  If he keeps Rhule...this is only worse.  If he does not...that is only 1 step in the right direction. He will need to make a series of right decisions..and show a pattern of change in how football decisions are made over a long period of time before I will have confidence in him as an owner. As it is now...looks like the NFL screwed the Panthers  and Panther fans because they were in love with Teppers' money.

Tepper does not have the football smarts to be making these decisions...he needs to be talking with some real football people and listen to them.  The discouraging thing is he seemed to think Hurney  was one of those.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1