• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule explains why they wanted Sam Darnold

mc52beast

15 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Somebody please tell analytics wonder Matt Rhule about QB taken after the 1st round.  Other than 2 or 3 guys who fell for stupid reasons (Russel Wilson was "too short", Derrick Carr's brother was a bust), basically there are no starters.  

That's not exactly true.

Tom Brady is still starting after being picked over 20 years ago in the 6th round. I know Brady is an outlier, but Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins were 4th round picks who are starting for their respective teams and both have played well this season. Jalen Hurts has 16 TD/9INTS and still has the Eagles in playoff contention. He's shown a lot of improvement during his second season and he's a 2nd round pick. The Eagles felt comfortable enough to replace Carson Wentz (a first round pick) with Hurts.

Most of the starters in the NFL are first rounders, but you can find quality goes on Days 2 and 3 of the draft. QB evaluation is still a mystery to me. Guys like Kurt Warner and Tony Romo are undrafted, but guys like Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, Mitch Tribinsky, and gulp....Sam Darnold go in the first round.

11 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

That's not exactly true.

Tom Brady is still starting after being picked over 20 years ago in the 6th round. I know Brady is an outlier, but Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins were 4th round picks who are starting for their respective teams and both have played well this season. Jalen Hurts has 16 TD/9INTS and still has the Eagles in playoff contention. He's shown a lot of improvement during his second season and he's a 2nd round pick. The Eagles felt comfortable enough to replace Carson Wentz (a first round pick) with Hurts.

Most of the starters in the NFL are first rounders, but you can find quality goes on Days 2 and 3 of the draft. QB evaluation is still a mystery to me. Guys like Kurt Warner and Tony Romo are undrafted, but guys like Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, Mitch Tribinsky, and gulp....Sam Darnold go in the first round.

It's more about hit rate (%). The hit rate after the 1st round drops considerably. There are success from later rounds, but if you look at the NFL right now, a huge percent of starting QB's were 1st round picks, 66% by my math. Many of the others are pretty fringe starters (Heinicke, Jimmy G., etc.). So yes, there are successes after the first round, but those you listed currently in the NFL are rare compared to the number of later round failures. Below gives some more numbers.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/qb-success-rate-by-draft-position-2021-nfl-draft

• Pie 2

LOL, this is coming from a coach who said Jay-Z did it in 7 years! He wants to give Sam 7 years to turn it around only for it to blow up in his face after 5 games this year.

You know, I saw the introductory press conference for the Eagles HC and thought he was an idiot and dumb as a bag of bricks, turns out we were the fools thinking Rhule was better.