• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold likely starting again for last few games

Saca312

17 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Despite what we've seen and heard so far regarding Fhule's job security, I can tell Tepper takes it personally when the stadium is overrun with opposing fans and the few home fans that show up boo as Fhule's team sloppily flunks and fails at every facet of the game and it snowballs...  I'm really hoping outside of Cam having a few more good plays where is honored and celebrated in what may be his final home game at BOA (I hope he is brought back though), the crowd is absolutely unbearable - much like Fhule's "brand" and coaching - and that pushes him to make the move before next week.

Yeah I feel like this is the used car salesman's last push to convince Tepper that he didn't blow it investing that much into Darnold. At this point he doesn't care about anything but trying to force Sam into some level of success to justify Tepper keeping them both around next year. The Rhule culture seems to be excuses and scapegoating to cover his own ineptitude for as long as possible

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I've said it repeatedly, and I am the biggest Cam guy out there, but I acknowledge he is not what he was in 2015, and he never will be, because a huge part of what made him so incredible was not just the threat to run, but the cannon to flick it 80 yards downfield effortlessly.  He still is the running threat that he was, buy the arm is obviously what changed with the shoulder injury...  but he still has plenty enough arm to be a Top 15 QB in a functional, effective offense.  The problem is, this offense is anything but that.  

And in saying all of that, I still respectfully disagree with your take here.  The offense had hit a point where we were struggling to move the ball AT ALL with Sam before his injury.  Again, we went an entire game with him not gaining a single first down.  If you compare the picks they have thrown, a) Sam has double what Cam has (albeit I know with a few more games played), and b) there are picks that Sam threw  where there was absolutely no explanation for what he was looking at or attempting to do.  All of Cam's were almost exclusively the result of poor playcalling and you could see what was being attempted, it just wasn't there.  With Cam, the offense, even as dysfunctional as it is, the ball moves.  With Sam, he had reached the absolute doldrums of worst passer to ever throw a specific number of passing attempts in the history of the league before his injury...  With Cam in there, you can tell he is at least reading the defense and reacting to it.  Sam has no idea what he's looking at, does not read or process anything except fear, and he plays accordingly...  and whether Cam was back here or not, that would still be my evaluation of Sam.  He is a fringe backup QB if he stays in the league, but no team should waste any more time trying to tap into his "potential" as a starter.  There is none.  He is what he is and always will be. 

So again, even considering Cam is no longer what he was, he is still plenty good enough, and he is still better than Sam, and it's not even close.  That being said, they're all going to look worse than they should because this staff and offense fuging blows.

I think Sam's shoulder was bothering him for a while. Neither are a good option but I know Cams shoulder is done, I don't know that about Sam 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

I'm not a fan of the current state of affairs in Charlotte, but I can't say I'm surprised. Let's be honest, Cam has lost his last 12 starts for the team. His one win came in a game he didn't start. I don't think he's done anything to indicate that the team should build around him. He can't push the ball down field consistently anymore. He may actually play better if he isn't behind center the entire game.

As for Darnold, you're stuck with him next year. I don't think this is the year to get a QB in the draft so it may not be the worst thing to see what he can do with BC starting at left tackle. If Brady plays well for the rest of the season, then  we'll be set at the tackle positions and can use the draft to get the best interior lineman on the board. With a rebuilt line in 2022, Darnold may actually play better and  the hold the fort until we can acquire a franchise guy in 2023-2024

3 minutes ago, toldozer said:

I think Sam's shoulder was bothering him for a while. Neither are a good option but I know Cams shoulder is done, I don't know that about Sam 

What does his shoulder have to do with him blinking and lobbing throws into triple and quadruple coverage? It's never been his physical tools It's his processing and decision making.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

Honestly, I'm okay with it. Just letting go and going to watch. Rhule's got three games to pull off a miracle or this is probably his last ride. 

If he makes a miracle happen, then, well, we'd better buckle in and prep for another year of him. If we get splattered today, as it appears, then none of this will matter except to get us better draft positions and hopefully a new coaching staff.

Merry Christmas everyone, these are the gifts no one really wanted to open, but they fit the last couple of years. Hand-me down underwear and a big puzzle missing a handful of pieces. 

• Beer 2

11 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

As for Darnold, you're stuck with him next year. I don't think this is the year to get a QB in the draft so it may not be the worst thing to see what he can do with BC starting at left tackle. If Brady plays well for the rest of the season, then  we'll be set at the tackle positions and can use the draft to get the best interior lineman on the board. With a rebuilt line in 2022, Darnold may actually play better and  the hold the fort until we can acquire a franchise guy in 2023-2024

You are not existing within reality. Cam is going to be 33 years old next season and was never our long term answer. But Sam is a bust and you are just circling the drain grasping for anything just like Jets fans did for years.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

What does his shoulder have to do with him blinking and lobbing throws into triple and quadruple coverage? It's never been his physical tools It's his processing and decision making.

What you said is true. No one is disputing that. But, let's be honest. Darnold has played behind some atrocious offensive lines in NY and Carolina. He doesn't appear to have received stellar coaching either. That's a lot to put on guy who is still only 25( I think) This year Sam, PJ, and Cam have literally had to run for the lives one second after snapping the ball. How can anyone process the field when they barely have time to set their feet?

I We all know Darnold has all the physical tools to play the position. We all know that he's a tough guy. So far he hasn't mastered the mental aspects of the position. Still I have the nagging thought that just won't go away. If he ever landed with a team/coach with a talent for grooming QBs (Walsh, Reid, McVey) he just might become a viable QB in the NFL.

40 minutes ago, jopie87 said:

I guess all that can be said is that they want no chance at picking up another win so that they end up around 5th in draft order. 

Live look at Matt Rhule and David Tepper celebrating their brilliance.

dumb and dumber harry GIF

This is a silly take.   Which qb has had a more recent win with the team when they started?   Neither qb is likely to win with this team. 

Cam is definitely not good enough. So it doesn’t really matter. Everyone but the stand knew he wasn’t either but I honestly don’t know if cam crawling on the turf is any sign he is done to them. This was a move to sell tickets and calm fans, nothing more. It’s too bad the stans couldn’t understand that. But that’s how the plan worked.

And it’s comical to think fans are being alienated…you cam Stans who have been away anyways and just started posting for the first time in a couple years obviously by all the new logins and people all of a sudden remembering theirs…yea how terrible to alienate them lol.

• Poo 2

If you think Sam is the best QB to lead our offense other than to losing out the rest of the games, you need your head examined. I mean that for coaches and fans alike.

Boy ya'll forgot quickly that he was playing like the worst QB in the history of this franchise when he got injured. 

That said....I'm all in. Sit Cam, make the fans mad, lose all the games to get a top 5 draft pick. If we can just convince Tepper to can Matt Rhule, it will all be worth it.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 4