• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could Cam be 2022 Taysom Hill for the Panthers?

musicman

Cam is a powerful mobile quarterback.  He could play utility if he wanted to.  I can’t see Cam playing that position because, I doubt he would agree with it.

the real question is, should we have a utility position?   If you look at the Saints, Taysom no longer has the success, he had 2,3 years ago.  Teams have adjusted to it.

7 hours ago, Leotiger said:

To me it’s personality.. cam is an alpha.. if he will take a below market deal or min and also understand and respect that he is not the starter and embrace the redzone qb role I’ll be okay with it and only okay with it if we don’t improve our qb situation at all.. if we get a high draft pick qb… cam has got to go ala patriots 2020… cam coming back means we failed in the off-season to secure a starting worthy qb..

He could be a distraction in the long run.  I personally think Cam is done as a starter and he should too--when was the last time he was good (2017 or maybe 2018?), but he could add another 5 years to his football career at about $3-5m as a wildcat/option QB with throwing capabilities.

• Beer 1

And for all the people who cling to that sac like it held the answers to the universe's most complex enigmas--remember--you would have paid him $30m per on a $120m deal in 2019.  If you think we are bad off now, imagine having Cam and still owing him $60m for 2022 and 2023. 

Cam would be a great backup who causes the opposition to plan for him every week.  We would be good on the goal line.  Can he carry a team for 4 quarters now?  I have not seen it.  Can he march a team down the field in a 2-minute drill?  If you answered yes, when?

4 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

That would work if the Panthers could Cam to agree .

And if he refuses, it tells us that he is not willing to be a backup. Go shop yourself and get back to us if we have not moved on.  A 33-year old QB on a steep decline since 2018 is probably not worth the cap room it would take to keep him here and frankly, it would be stupid.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

And if he refuses, it tells us that he is not willing to be a backup. Go shop yourself and get back to us if we have not moved on.  A 33-year old QB on a steep decline since 2018 is probably not worth the cap room it would take to keep him here and frankly, it would be stupid.

You are probably correct. The home game Sunday may be the last time Cam will play here in front of the Panther fans.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

You are probably correct. The home game Sunday may be the last time Cam will play here in front of the Panther fans.

Its sad, and its also business.  Cam is electric and coming back was fun, but he needed a solid ground game, stud OL, and a good TE.  He is wasting away here until that happens.

• Pie 2

What options does Cam have next year? Practically none because he's just not the same great player he was. A few million a year to play a supportive yet still "game day active and in the game plan" role, why not. He loves Charlotte and most love him. Cam also came back more humble with a different perspective. If he wants to still play, this probably would be his only way then just being a back up holding a clip board. We have a 90% chance of Darnold being on the team next year, because of his contract. Build the O-line and keep the defense Elite and see what happens. 

Remember when Tepper hired Rhule he said this could take up to 5 years to start turning this around and into a consistent winner. I think he was going to give Rhule time to figure it out at an NFL level. 1 good O-line signing and 2 top draft picks and the O-line turns around quickly.

You can't fix everything in 1 year but in 3 to 4, maybe. I don't think any of us have a choice.