• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doug Pederson on how to build a "quarterback room"

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Not every team. Tampa brought back literally every starter from 2020.

But how much of that is because of TB? The guys there want to win it all and they have no better chance than with TB at the helm. It's just the way it is. If Brady had retired at the end of last season, all those guys wouldn't have been back, guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

As a draft nut, one of my older "rules" was each draft take a WR. As i refined my method and QB worths' gained value......I thought QB should have the same treatment.....but if you draft one each year, by 5 year...5 QBs is too many unlike WRs.....

Be smart.

You're thinking about it wrong.

If after five years of drafting QB's you have more than two who look like legit NFL players, you can EASILY turn those players into draft picks, and likely better picks than you used on them in the first place.  The Patriots do this ALL THE TIME.

Just now, BrianS said:

You're thinking about it wrong.

If after five years of drafting QB's you have more than two who look like legit NFL players, you can EASILY turn those players into draft picks, and likely better picks than you used on them in the first place.  The Patriots do this ALL THE TIME.

I have thought of that, but its much harder to get other teams to trade picks for QB that youre not playing or want to trade. Pats(mainly bill) and Andy Reid are the only ones able to do this consistently. 

20 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

But how much of that is because of TB? The guys there want to win it all and they have no better chance than with TB at the helm. It's just the way it is. If Brady had retired at the end of last season, all those guys wouldn't have been back, guaranteed. 

Reason or no reason, I'd think the same rule applies anywhere. If you win it all, odds are that if you return everyone you're likely to be the favorite again so why doesn't everyone do it?

I haven't seen a truly "lightning in a bottle season" since 2015, when the Panthers made the game despite having possibly the worst WR Corp in the NFL.

Other than that, most teams who made it were built to get there and made it. So for a team like Carolina, you understand the turnover. For Philly, KC, Tampa, New England, etc. I don't. 

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

Reason or no reason, I'd think the same rule applies anywhere. If you win it all, odds are that if you return everyone you're likely to be the favorite again so why doesn't everyone do it?

I haven't seen a truly "lightning in a bottle season" since 2015, when the Panthers made the game despite having possibly the worst WR Corp in the NFL.

Other than that, most teams who made it were built to get there and made it. So for a team like Carolina, you understand the turnover. For Philly, KC, Tampa, New England, etc. I don't. 

Brady has 7 rings (2 losses), possibly an 8th. If you add up every other starting QB to have won a SB that's still playing that still doesn't equal his amount of wins in the big dance. The most anyone else has is 2 and that's Big Ben 13 years ago. Peyton Manning, one of the greatest to ever play, went 4 times, won 1, lost 2 and we all know what happened to get his 2nd. No other player has that amount of history winning as TB and at that's the most important position to get to that point as well. 

Brady is in a win now situation. At 44, he isn't playing forever, even though he wants to play until 50. Guys playing or coming to Tampa know this. It's different than building a winning franchise. Guys going to Tampa are going for a greater chance to win a SB. Guys staying after last year are staying to do it again. He elevates everyone around him. This isn't me having a man crush or anything on Brady. I just recognize he is the greatest NFL playoff QB we will likely ever see play the game. Players and coaches know that as well. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly
  • Beer 1

23 hours ago, BlitzMonster said:

Great read.  Thanks for posting.

I want the Panthers to go OL OL OL in the upcoming draft to address our needs.  But I do wonder if Pitt QB Kenny Pickett falls to us, should he be the choice ?   I've seen several drafts mock that he should be available right around where the Panthers pick.  

But choosing Pickett would go against Pederson's advice "put [the rookie QB] in a position to be successful right when he steps on the field. You don’t want your guy to fail early."  With a swiss cheese OL, success would not be likely for Pickett.  

So I'm really torn between going after a QB who I think could be a solid NFL starter or building up the OL and waiting on the QB position until the next season.   

I agree with you about the O-line being the top priority even if Pickett falls to us. No QB can really excel behind the guys we currently have. Thing is, we still don't know exactly what we need to do this off-seasson.

Rhule should have started B. Christensen by mid-season at Tackle (or dare I say it ...guard) to determine what he could give us. If he had succeeded at either spot we'd know that one position was taken care of. If Deonte Brown had been given an opportunity and played well at guard, we'd have two spots nailed down. Then we could have focused on Center, and a tackle (or guard position).

At the current time, we don't know what we have in either player. To make matters worse if we take a lineman in round one, we won't pick again until round 4 (barring some trades). I don't see Carolina being a prime spot for prime free agents this year. It's going to be hard to significantly improve or line if we don't get some good play form B.C and D.Brown in 2022.

If those two guys became solid starters along with Moton and a 2022 1st round lineman, I'm inclined to believe that every QB currently on the roster would improve next season just by being able to set their feet for more than 1 second on passing plays. This could maybe put us in play to get a franchise QB in 2023 if we don't do so this offseason.

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Brady has 7 rings (2 losses), possibly an 8th. If you add up every other starting QB to have won a SB that's still playing that still doesn't equal his amount of wins in the big dance. The most anyone else has is 2 and that's Big Ben 13 years ago. Peyton Manning, one of the greatest to ever play, went 4 times, won 1, lost 2 and we all know what happened to get his 2nd. No other player has that amount of history winning as TB and at that's the most important position to get to that point as well. 

Brady is in a win now situation. At 44, he isn't playing forever, even though he wants to play until 50. Guys playing or coming to Tampa know this. It's different than building a winning franchise. Guys going to Tampa are going for a greater chance to win a SB. Guys staying after last year are staying to do it again. He elevates everyone around him. This isn't me having a man crush or anything on Brady. I just recognize he is the greatest NFL playoff QB we will likely ever see play the game. Players and coaches know that as well. 

I've experienced Brady fatigue for over a decade so I just had to chime in when I saw this error. Mr. Brady has lost THREE SUPERBOWLS. Eli and the NY Giants beat him TWICE...and Doug's Peterson's Eagles beat him a couple of years ago. If he ever losses another SB, Brady will own the most record for most SB wins and be tied with Jim Kelly for the most SB losses.

IF he gets back to another SB I sincerely hope he gets the latter mark. 😄 

• Beer 1