• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defensive Troubles

Michael G

Our offense has mostly struggled much of the year, especially recently. Our Defense was pretty stout early on but has seemed to regress. We have had trouble against the run on and off all year and recently our pass "D" has seemed to regress. I Think we will probably be OK when Jaycee is up to speed especially if Taylor or Henderson takes a step and if especially if we can keep Gilmore for another year or two.

What is our most important problem to fix regarding the Run? How can we fix it?

(1) Not stout enough in the Middle (D. Brown, D. Jones)

(2) Too light on the edge--not setting the edge (especially Burn's side)

(3) Poor LB play--our second level isn't doing enough in run support

(4) something else?

What do you guys think?

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

Nfl coaches figured out our college scheme 

NFL coaches figure out most schemes no matter where they come from. It's why you have to adapt. We are light in the ass on defense. It's not a terrible idea if your offense can score at will and run the score up making teams have to pass. If not you get run all over by bigger offenses that are run first. 

Edited by Snake
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 3

27 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Our offense has mostly struggled much of the year, especially recently. Our Defense was pretty stout early on but has seemed to regress. We have had trouble against the run on and off all year and recently our pass "D" has seemed to regress. I Think we will probably be OK when Jaycee is up to speed especially if Taylor or Henderson takes a step and if especially if we can keep Gilmore for another year or two.

(1) Not stout enough in the Middle (Crybaby, D. Jones)

(4) something else?

What do you guys think?

Fixed it for u!

• Beer 1

45 minutes ago, Michael G said:

(4) something else?

What do you guys think?

If anything this is a good example on how having a solid “good” defense is vastly overrated. Sacks = overrated. 

• Poo 1

I would also have to say how poorly our offense (and sometimes special teams) has played has impacted the defense as well. When you get off the field and then barely get a second to rest or make adjustments before your butt is back off the bench and right back on the field it makes things more difficult for sure.

• Pie 2

1) We need another big guy on the field or to find better big guys if we are only rolling with 2. Just make it 3-4 instead of 2-4. 

2) My 1 fixes this one and allows them to roam.

3) They need to find a LBer to play with Shaq. Solid but balanced guy. 

4) Learn to adapt and create better matchups. We have not been doing this well at all. 

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

Nfl coaches figured out our college scheme 

That's a pretty big part of it.

Being soft in the middle doesn't really help. Jermaine Carter is a lot nicer story than he is a player. And I think everybody can acknowledge at this point that Jeremy Chinn is being misused.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Michael G said:

(4) something else?

What do you guys think?

I’d say all of the above. But poor LB/second level play is a bigger factor that many think. LB is definitely an area of concern that needs to addressed this off-season, especially MLB.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's a pretty big part of it.

Being soft in the middle doesn't really help. Jermaine Carter is a lot nicer story than he is a player. And I think everybody can acknowledge at this point that Jeremy Chinn is being misused.

I’ve read here that Chinn is a FS. If that’s true, that’s definitely wrong. He’s better as an in-the-box SS that can play a hybrid LB role and blitz. Coverage is not his strong suit. 

Every game the Panthers have better time of possession, they've won. It's that simple.

That means the offense needs to hold on to the ball a bit longer. Fewer three and outs. Help the defense recover before they return to the field.

And then some of it is probably knowing the defense has to carry the load resulting in more chances taken (looking at you Shaq) and more time the defense has been out of position trying to make the big play instead of the best play. That's discipline. That's coaching. The Panthers are lacking.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Michael G said:

I would also have to say how poorly our offense (and sometimes special teams) has played has impacted the defense as well. When you get off the field and then barely get a second to rest or make adjustments before your butt is back off the bench and right back on the field it makes things more difficult for sure.

This.  Fix the offense and ST and the defense will shine.  Control the field and the ball, you win the game.

• Pie 1