• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doug Pederson fans...

Mr. Scot

Good news! There is a connection between Doug Pederson and Matt Rhule...albeit a second hand one.

Specifically, interim OC Jeff Nixon was on staff with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009 and 2010 as an offensive assistant. During those two seasons, the Eagles offensive quality control position was manned by Pederson.

The bad news? It's not easy to imagine that Nixon would suggest his own replacement rather than lobbying to have the full-time job himself.

The worse news? If Brian Daboll gets a head coaching job next year with someone other than the Panthers, the guy who's going to be looking for his replacement was the Eagles defensive coordinator for those two seasons, our old buddy Sean McDermott.

Given the choice, which team would you join?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Good news! There is a connection between Doug Pederson and Matt Rhule...albeit a second hand one.

Specifically, interim OC Jeff Nixon was on staff with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009 and 2010 as an offensive assistant. During those two seasons, the Eagles offensive quality control position was manned by Pederson.

The bad news? It's not easy to imagine that Nixon would suggest his own replacement rather than lobbying to have the full-time job himself.

The worse news? If Brian Daboll gets a head coaching job next year with someone other than the Panthers, the guy who's going to be looking for his replacement was the Eagles defensive coordinator for those two seasons, our old buddy Sean McDermott.

Given the choice, which team would you join?

LOl, did you actually research the three degrees of separation from Rhule I mentioned earlier?  If so, kudos to you my friend!

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Possible.

Also possible that Dorsey follows Daboll to his new job.

Also possible.

But I'm wondering how many other head coaching openings there really are going to be this offseason. Might be a pretty good year to need a head coach with possibly not many teams in the hunt. Las Vegas maybe? Chicago seems likely. Outside chance of Pittsburgh. Low key I think of the surprising ones might be Minnesota.

8 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I’m pretty sure we have a leg up by firing Joe Brady this soon. I am positive those in the front office are already making calls.

The thing about making calls is that calls are two-way communications... the person at the other end has to answer for it to be effective.

19 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Also possible.

But I'm wondering how many other head coaching openings there really are going to be this offseason. Might be a pretty good year to need a head coach with possibly not many teams in the hunt. Las Vegas maybe? Chicago seems likely. Outside chance of Pittsburgh. Low key I think of the surprising ones might be Minnesota.

NFL coaching carousel primer

From the article...

Raiders: already open

Bears: very likely open

Jaguars: likely open

Texans: likely to very likely open

Broncos: possibly open, if they miss the playoffs

Vikings: possible, if they miss the playoffs

Dolphins: unlikely to be open, though a playoff run would help

Seahawks: possible, if Pete Carroll chooses to retire

Giants: unlikely to be open, but…

Lions: highly unlikely to be open

Jets: extremely unlikely to be open

And the Panthers?

Possible, but would be precedent setting...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

NFL coaching carousel primer

From the article...

Raiders: already open

Bears: very likely open

Jaguars: likely open

Texans: likely to very likely open

Broncos: possibly open, if they miss the playoffs

Vikings: possible, if they miss the playoffs

Dolphins: unlikely to be open, though a playoff run would help

Seahawks: possible, if Pete Carroll chooses to retire

Giants: unlikely to be open, but…

Lions: highly unlikely to be open

Jets: extremely unlikely to be open

And the Panthers?

Possible, but would be precedent setting...

Jags are firing Urban Meyer after one year? Texans firing a guy with that QB situation the way it is? I dunno.

10 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Jags are firing Urban Meyer after one year? Texans firing a guy with that QB situation the way it is? I dunno.

Here's the rationale behind those ideas (per Orr)

JagsI think that when an owner says the head coach has lost his trust, and the coach, who has also been woefully unprepared throughout his first campaign, has failed to develop the most important asset in franchise history, there is little reason to reconvene for a second season. The Jaguars remain a plumb job for someone with NFL experience who can design an offense and handle game-management situations. Had the Jon Gruden email scandal never materialized, there’s a good chance we would have still been focusing our collective coaching ire on Urban Meyer, making the idea of keeping him all the more difficult from an optical standpoint. While it’s surprising Meyer has not already fled northern Florida for one of the legacy college football openings, it would be even more surprising if Jacksonville tried to sell us on a second season of his tenure, with Trevor Lawrence currently rated as one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL.

Texans: My guess is that the Texans went into last year’s process knowing that it would be difficult for them to have their choice of dream candidates, given how chaotic the organization appeared. It would make some sense for them to reemerge onto the market to see if they could land the person of their dreams and if not, keep David Culley who, say what you will about the hire, has gotten a threadbare roster to well outplay its capabilities. If the Texans can find the right match, perhaps someone with some Patriots ties who has familiarity with general manager Nick Caserio, then they could pounce.

And for good measure, here's the Panthers analysis...

Matt Rhule and general manager Scott Fitterer have been incredibly aggressive this season, especially in an effort to repair the tumble Carolina took after a 3–0 start. They traded for two starting defensive backs and brought back Cam Newton to patch up the quarterback situation. The result? Almost nonexistent playoff chances and a spot deep in the queue for next year’s quarterback carousel. The Panthers dealt Teddy Bridgewater (one of the most efficient quarterbacks in the NFL this year) and brought in Sam Darnold, who will end this season no further from his NFL reputation as a mistake-prone, replacement-level passer. They were unable to jam themselves into the receiving line for Matthew Stafford. If you’re David Tepper, who is desperate for an answer at the position, do you view what has happened as an indictment of the coach you hired? Was there anything to the fact that Rhule’s name was bandied about during this chaotic NCAA coaching cycle? How does that play? Still, this would be an industry-shaking move just two years into a seven-year contract.