• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line Grades

Zod

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

But but but but.....the OL is the problem! We just need to get him an OL! Who could possibly play well behind this OL?!!!

North Carolina Reaction GIF by Carolina Panthers

Darnold never played behind an OL this good because he's had Paradis who legit just got forklifted into him multiple times a game and the run blocking was never as good either... Would it have mattered if he had a better OL? I dunno, he is who he is, so he probably regresses either way IMO and I'm glad he did since now we have Cam.  But... PJ looked a lot like Darnold did in his first few games, but with shorter passes.

PJ leaned on CMC as he should and it paid off.  Almost half his receptions to him... and damn, does CMC look incredible.  He practically guarantees 7 yards a touch on average.

Pj definitely looked better than Darnold the last few weeks, but I don't think he had a good game. Short passes, terrible decisions... Man, it just reminds me of Darnold's games a lot.  Can you tell the difference between these charts? (and no, this isn't one of Darnold's good games lol)  I'm glad we have Cam coming up tbh.

chart2.png

chart1.png

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

PJ leaned on CMC as he should and it paid off.  Almost half his receptions to him... and damn, does CMC look incredible.  He practically guarantees 7 yards a touch on average.

CMC was excellent, but to me this was even more encouraging:

image.png.dd9aea795f57177e523f93dfbcdc7484.png

He only played 60% of the snaps.

That's a MUCH more sustainable level.  If we can maintain that, I look forward to watching him make defenders look silly for years to come.

• Pie 3

18 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Darnold never played behind an OL this good because he's had Paradis who legit just got forklifted into him multiple times a game and the run blocking was never as good either... Would it have mattered if he had a better OL? I dunno, he is who he is, so he probably regresses either way IMO and I'm glad he did since now we have Cam.  But... PJ looked a lot like Darnold did in his first few games, but with shorter passes.

Pj definitely looked better than Darnold the last few weeks, but I don't think he had a good game. Short passes, terrible decisions... Man, it just reminds me of Darnold's games a lot.  Can you tell the difference between these charts? (and no, this isn't one of Darnold's good games lol)  I'm glad we have Cam coming up tbh.

chart2.png

chart1.png

We were up 17-0 in the first quarter.  23-0 at half.  

Matt Rhule addressed it post game that jumping out to such a big lead so quick, forced them to take all the deep balls out of the script they were going to run and to a work the clock mentality over making big plays. 

Stats only tell part of any story.  Sam Darnold can't sit in a pocket like PJ.  Sam Darnold gets shook when asked to read and look downfield and everyone knows it.  I mean, that isn't PJ.  PJ has his own flaws that are uniquely different than Sam's.  They aren't similar.  As players or the eye test. 

Sam Darnold sucks.  Sam Darnold was a massive mistake.  PJ Walker is just a backup QB.  One that is 2-0 when called upon to be the backup QB.    These things aren't the same. 

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, BrianS said:

That's a MUCH more sustainable level.  If we can maintain that, I look forward to watching him make defenders look silly for years to come.

I still think they should of dialed back CMC more than they did.  They still had him IMO pointlessly in too late in the game.   Hubbard and Adbullah could of taken over earlier.   

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

We were up 17-0 in the first quarter.  23-0 at half.  

Matt Rhule addressed it post game that jumping out to such a big lead so quick, forced them to take all the deep balls out of the script they were going to run and to a work the clock mentality over making big plays. 

Stats only tell part of any story.  Sam Darnold can't sit in a pocket like PJ.  Sam Darnold gets shook when asked to read and look downfield and everyone knows it.  I mean, that isn't PJ.  PJ has his own flaws that are uniquely different than Sam's.  They aren't similar.  As players or the eye test. 

Sam Darnold sucks.  Sam Darnold was a massive mistake.  PJ Walker is just a backup QB.  One that is 2-0 when called upon to be the backup QB.    These things aren't the same. 

PJ and Sam aren't similar save that neither takes care of the ball and that is why I think they are both a big risk as backups.  You don't want your backup averaging the turnovers either of them do.  Hell, PJ has a higher interception % than Darnold, and frankly if you watch him play it is obvious that is the case, too.  PJ just makes very bad decisions with the ball very regularly.  Same as Darnold.  At least PJ is cheap, lol.

As to the whole "2-0" thing, if we stop our time slice in week 3, Darnold is 3-0 as a Panther, and he played significantly better than PJ has...

As to the game being a blowout so they took the deep balls out, usually 10 yards isn't what I'd call deep but fair.  I guess Cam didn't get that memo.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

49 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

As to the whole "2-0" thing, if we stop our time slice in week 3, Darnold is 3-0 as a Panther, and he played significantly better than PJ has...

Not the last 5 weeks he hasn't.   Sam has been worse than PJ.  Sam imploded games the D locked up early like they did on Sunday. 

and Sam vs the Jets and that window wasn't better than PJ.  That was PJ level play.  That's always been the point, we spent all those draft picks on a guy who that when he is "good" is a PJ Walker tier QB. 

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

And only 12-13 of his touches were runs.  Most of the passes, he managed to get out of bounds or avoided taking hard hits.  

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Not the last 5 weeks he hasn't.   Sam has been worse than PJ.  Sam imploded games the D locked up early like they did on Sunday. 

and Sam vs the Jets and that window wasn't better than PJ.  That was PJ level play.  That's always been the point, we spent all those draft picks on a guy who that when he is "good" is a PJ Walker tier QB. 

Sam HAS sucked the last few weeks overall... I 100% agree that Sam Darnold was not worth what we paid, but that doesn't mean PJ is a good backup.  I just haven't seen it yet... That could change, but PJ is not careful with the ball in the least and that is a huge concern for me.  I'm cool with people thinking I'm being too hard on him.

I just don't agree with what you bolded RE: the first few weeks... Darnold was moving the ball very well in his first few starts, and generally taking care of it better than PJ. In his first 3 starts as a Panther, Sam had 6 TDs, 1 INT, just under 900 yards, and that included a blowout of NO.  His intended air yards per completion in those games was *twice* what PJ's was yesterday.  Yes he had a slightly lower completion % (but still 68%, which is good), and in total he was asked to throw the ball more than PJ.  He was taking care of the ball overall well, and better than PJ has...  And remember we lost CMC vs HOU and he still actually had a decent game in the 2nd half albeit not perfect (17 2nd half points in fact).

None of this is to say Darnold is in any way a better option than anyone else, since he is shell-shocked and done. I'd just rather have a more consistent backup that protects the ball a bit better than PJ.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 2

Fwiw, there were a lot of things that went on yesterday that helped the oline.  For example, getting out to a 17 point lead (28 in the second half) means the team is rarely in a must pass situation.  Fewer blitzes, and focusing on the pass rush for the defense.  And it does seem that PJ makes decisions a little quicker than Darnold did.  

Really isn't rocket science. All the QB's behind sh%tty lines always are decisive and get rid of the ball quickly to nullify the pass rush. Sam is a second slow in this area, panics, and throws the bad pass. 

Can this be fixed... doesn't seem so.