• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Packman on WFNZ just now....

stopncrank

I think thats part of Carolina's problem, we create emotional attachment with certain players, and it hurts us in the long run. Alot of it is the coaching staff, but players get old, Steve Smith isnt gonna be around forever, what maybe 3-5 years? Our team has a history of holding on to players too long, while other teams like the Steelers, Patriots, and other top tier teams constantly shop players all the while staying ahead of the curve.

Fans are allowed to be sentimental. Coaches who do it often become former coaches.

I'm pretty sure we tried to get rid of Pep already, with no takers. Im not sure what he has done thus far this season makes his stock rise any more. Its a catch22 really, keep Smith and ride him till he retires possibly getting better, but more than likely getting worse. Or do you trade him with the possibility of getting a receiver plus a pick and rebuilding for the future? Truth is, if we keep Smitty, we need a Qb too. Get rid of Smitty and get that Qb via draft, then you have to go out and get receivers. Im not sold on all we need is a Qb and we are good, we have several positions that are questionable that trace back to not making changes and planning ahead. Sometimes not taking a chance is worse than actually taking one, this season is just one instance.

We tried to get a lot in return for him. If we can't sign him to a cheaper contract next year, then we should just release him, or at least ask for less compensation in return. We can't afford to pay him 16 million a year.

I know that this is one of the best WR free agency pools in a while and that there is a decent class coming in this years draft, but to get rid of the top three WRs on the depth chart in one offseason?

That's a no-go bro.

whos going to be a FA??..remember this is prob going to be a uncapped year.

Get a modest upgrade at QB in FA and a very solid #2 WR and this team can go very far.

I can support that idea. I would get rid of Feely & McCown. Bench Jake for now & keep him as #2 if Moore get better or when we get a good QB. If we get a QB in FA, I want to see how he does here before we make him the starter. Remeber David Carr?? :P

And get rid of Smitty or Stewart? Some of you guys are out of your mind to come up with that crap! Doing that will make our offense even worse than it is right now. No way in hell should we get rid of those 2. Despite how bad we're playing, those 2 along with DeWill are part of how we're scoring points. You just don't get rid of your best players in those guys.

I give Smitty 2 years at best, then he starts going downhill, so regardless of who the HC and GM are next year, they might as well get something for him while they still can. I like and appreciate the way Steve Smith plays as much as anybody, but nobody on this team is untouchable.

Agree. One more injury and he is toast. Once he begins to decline it will be rapid. The guy has overachieved to his talent level his whole career.

Everybody is replacable, Smith included. And let`s face itj he isn`t consistently gettinfg separation and winning battles like he used to.

I`d add that there`s no way I want to have to depend in any significant manner on Mike Goodson.

Please give me some examples. I hear all the Steve Smith pundits spew this same ho hum bs, but I've yet to see this. What I have seen is an inept QB and an incompetent coach overthrow/under throw, one of, if not the best WR in the league. I saw smith beat a young corner for a TD the other night. And on the few occasions where he is running a deep route---haven't seen much of that, remember, incompetent coach--I've seen him get separation from his defenders consistently. STEVE SMITH IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

Agree. One more injury and he is toast. Once he begins to decline it will be rapid. The guy has overachieved to his talent level his whole career.

Why? because you say so. One more injury, depending on what it is, and any player in the league is "toast." No one is exempt from an injury bug, What's your point. Overachieved?? :lol: I think my IQ has been lowered from reading that. I'm glad you have some magical formula that lets you get inside the mind of a player to know if they've been overachieving their whole careers.

You don't "overachieve" in the NFL. It's called practice, work ethic. You're not a top 3 WR in the NFL by overachieving. Sorry, that logic makes no sense at all.

Normally i listen just to get a laugh at the callers, and alot of times its your right as long as you agree with the host. Couldnt even listnen when Frank Garcia used to be on there.

Anyways, Packer said he thought the Panthers should shop Steve Smith in the off season to try to get back in the first round of the draft next year. He said there's definitely teams who would jump on it and might would even give up a first rounder plus players. Also said get rid of Jarrett, and thought as good as Moose has been its time to look at other options there too.

I'd hate to see Steve go, but its also tough seeing him this down. He just looks like he is not pumped like he has been in years past, and rightfully so i guess judging by the season thus far. So my question is based on where the team stands right now, what do you guys think about shopping him while we still can get something for him?

Smith, as one of the commentators said last night, is probably the most competitive player---pound for pound--in the NFL. He was fired up last night. Most defenders would agree with that assessment. Do some of you actually think before you type. No offense, but good gracious.

Smith, as one of the commentators said last night, is probably the most competitive player---pound for pound--in the NFL. He was fired up last night. Most defenders would agree with that assessment. Do some of you actually think before you type. No offense, but good gracious.

Well said. Usually his fiery temper is what made him a competitive player on the field & one of the best WR in the NFL. This is why I want him to stick around as long he can still play & his body can still handle with the best of 'em. That why I have the replica jersey of his numbers. :cool:

I mean I understand SS being a trading chip but no. Go back to what I said here. A modest(see decent qb with the ability to ya know..check down)

I said it over the summer how much I did NOT this wr CORP going into this year. SS was it. That makes this team too easy to gameplan for.

I'm telling anybody who would listen that if the Panthers were to get just one other really good WR this team can win a SB.

In fact, I will be so bold as to say this, even with Jake, if the team had that other wr they could still win a SB.

Archived