• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport believes Watson will be traded before the deadline

t96

33 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Those same moral police consumed the NFL product even though Roethlisberger was able to play out a full hall of fame career and win Super bowls. 

Morality shouldn't stop at your favorite team. If it was really about morals you would distance yourself from the NFL completely. 

This is what I don't get.  Why is it okay to follow a league that lets Watson play, but not the team?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I think it'll likely be two firsts and some higher profile guys. It's going to take something to get something. I still believe that we have solid personnel on defense, even the ones acquired later in the draft and in FA. They should have plenty of cap and Fitterer is supposed to be everything Gettleman professed to be in regards to identifying pro talent, plus Fit is supposed to have a good network. He and others are just going to have to earn their money and do their jobs.

That "something" we're getting has a significant chance of winding up behind bars... 2 1sts AND higher profile players, that's a fat no from me dawg. 2 1sts and Robby maybe if they take Sam I'd consider. But our 1st next year looking like it might be pretty damn high. Watson would help but the back half of the schedule is brutal, I'm not sure he'd even be enough to save this season. Could wind up being a top 10 pick even with Watson here.

32 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Not denying that but this is much different. We’re talking 3 1sts and players for a guy with this baggage. You make sure everything is good before pulling the he trigger on it. If you don’t you’ll set the franchise back at least 4 years but more like a decade.

Even if he is completely innocent of these charges it still doesn't resolve the fact that he was dumb enough to put himself and the team in that situation just to gets his freak on.  Bad bad bad investment. 

It is going to cost this franchise more than the picks given up.  

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

He led the league in passing at least once

That doesn’t mean he was a franchise QB. IDK, maybe y’all’s definition of franchise QB is different from mine, but Cam is the only true franchise guy we’ve had in our entire history IMO. 

But honestly they shouldn't. Let Sam play us into a better draft pick or play better and turn his poo around. 

Let Shaq Thompson continue to have a career year then trade him for draft picks. Draft Sam Howell and let him wear 7. Would be great regional press, the exact opposite of Watson. Also, Howell has actual modern day nfl tools so it fits a need. Hopefully he's better than Baker Mayfield. 

21 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I wasn't saying it was my opinion.  It's what I'm speculating is happening/will happen.  The NFL doesn't care about morals or ethics.  If the video of Ray Rice never came out, he would have played the rest of his career out like nothing ever happened.  The NFL only acted because they had to with the video being leaked.  Prior to that, they had already "dealt" with it and elected to essentially do nothing.  Same with the Zeke example, he honestly probably wouldn't be suspended if a video hadnt came out of him groping a woman.  Donte Stallworth killed a man while drunk driving and still came back and played in the NFL.  Chris Johnson is rumored to have had the guys who shot him and his associates assassinated as all part of a much bigger drug operation - he still played an entire career in the NFL.  Roethlisberger more than likely raped a woman and was allowed to play an entire career AND be a face of the NFL.  Pacman Jones had a lengthy rapsheet early on in his career and also was able to finish out his career.  The NFL doesn't care about character.  They care about money.  Period.  Owners don't care about character so long as it doesn't inhibit them from winning and making money.  Period.

And I was unaware I was a scumbag before, but nice to know.

You say no owners care about morals or ethics, which is ridiculous.  Also, you imply Tepper will pay off these women from his own pocket.  All your assumptions of these people are completely negative and honestly offending.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Pretty sure it isn't though but it's hard to know what the fug is what

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/46/

How does anyone make sense of that vague poo. I don't' even see where Ian Rappaport gets what he said from. I think the delineation is civil vs criminal

It leaves it up to the commissioners, there is no if the person is charged or not. below is very very very broad but that’s not the commissioners exempt list. That’s the suspension list. 

The second paragraph is the exempt list. Which would do ABSOLUTELY nothing at this point for the NFL. The Texans are still paying him either way, the exempt list does NOT equal suspension in the first place it just can be used to mitigate suspension weeks once the player is officially suspended.

So if they exempted him now, the Texans would still have to pay him, they know the Texans want to trade him now and he wants to be traded. If he’s exempted the least penalized person by the NFL would end up being Watson. Because Watson could offset those games to his suspension, and pay back the Texans for those games. It helps the Texans with trade value or trade in general to keep him off the list. Once he’s moved, I highly suspect we will see some movement.  

This way basically the NFL is hedging it’s bet.

But to the original notion that “he can’t be put on the exempt list because he hasn’t been charged” is complete bullshit. The commissioner can exempt any time he wants for any reason he wants, there is no constraining text. Suspensions on the other hand, maybe it could be argued in front of an arbitrator but the below bolded text is very very very broad. 

“involving action taken against a player by the Commissioner for conduct detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football (other than as described in Subsection (e) below)”

“Players who are placed by the Commissioner on the Exempt list prior to the determination of discipline and any appeal therefrom under the Personal Conduct Policy will be paid while on the Commissioner Exempt list and credited for the regular and post-season games missed against any suspension ultimately imposed. Notwithstanding any other provision in this Agreement, if such a suspension is ultimately imposed, the player must promptly return and shall have no further right to any salary for the games for which he was paid while on the Commissioner Exempt list that were credited to the suspension (i.e., for a number of games no greater than the length of the suspension).”

Edited by Harbingers

24 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Sam is two years and Teddy was a 3 year deal with an out after two. Those were terrible moves but they were terrible SHORT term moves. This would have ramifications for a decade. I’d like to think they weren’t this dumb to not vet everything out and be absolutely sure he can play with no issues. If not, then welcome to the browns. I mean we’re already there anyway but this would be the final nail in the coffin with absolutely no hope of a future. 

I get it I really do but this franchise has already comprised its future hence why we are where we are. We had an MVP level franchise QB for nearly a decade but we never gave him an OL to protect him. This compromised our future because it reduced his peak effectiveness by at least five years.

In my opinion we are at rock bottom. I do not like Watson because of his baggage but I hardly think this potential move would be the end all be all. For me it happened a long time ago with a series of bad moves and the chickens have come home to roost.

10 minutes ago, Kuhndog94 said:

We DO know that she was willing because the police investigation determined she was willing. In fact, she was charged for it. The only crime here was charging her and dropping Krafts charges. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/robert-kraft-massage-parlor-arrest-sex-worker-fined-1098303/

Rolling Stone as a legit news source, lol.  The entire article was slanted to sex-worker's rights.  Hell, Kraft was almost lost in the entire piece.  Did it say weather these women were forced into this or not as part of a larger sex-trafficking sting? Nope, just that pro sex-workers say some immigrant women choose to do this work as a broad generalizing statement. When faced with starvation and finding a roof to sleep under, I guess prostitution isn't a hard choice for some of them.

2 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

It leaves it up to the commissioners, there is no if the person is charged or not. below is very very very broad but that’s not the commissioners exempt list. That’s the suspension list. 

The NFLPA is pretty dumb playing under such vague poo like that. Most players are just thinking to themselves they won't have to deal with it and most of them don't. It's still too much power under too vague of terms.

That's what I mean though where did Ian pull that poo from about a felony and all that...

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

The NFLPA is pretty dumb playing under such vague poo like that. Most players are just thinking to themselves they won't have to deal with it and most of them don't. It's still too much power under too vague of terms.

That's what I mean though where did Ian pull that poo from about a felony and all that...

I wouldn't agree to it, but players on that list are getting paid their full contract to not play... Not necessarily the worst thing in the world. Free money, literally.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

He led the league in passing at least once

Yup, oddly enough the first year or two under Seifert, the defense was the weak, not the offense.  Crazy, I know, considering we are talking about the Panthers.  Actually Siefert's first domino to fall in his epic and rapid demise is when he chose to move on from Beuerlein in favor of Jeff Lewis.  Things spiraled downward quickly.

Edited by 45catfan