• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Under the Dome, Stephen King's Newest

Delhomeboy

His last few have been a little lame...

That's why I'm pushing this one. I just finished it and started reading at 10:30. And I have a damn 8:00 tomorrow but I can't get to sleep cause of the damn thing. And not cause it's scary either. this one simply packs a wallop.

(although I didn't think either Duma Key nor Lisey's Story was lame. D But I know there's a LOT of people who disagree.)

• 2 weeks later...

That's why I'm pushing this one. I just finished it and started reading at 10:30. And I have a damn 8:00 tomorrow but I can't get to sleep cause of the damn thing. And not cause it's scary either. this one simply packs a wallop.

(although I didn't think either Duma Key nor Lisey's Story was lame. D But I know there's a LOT of people who disagree.)

Finished it last night and .... can't really give it a glowing recommendation. btw, how the hell did you read 1070+ pages in 15 hours?

It was good, and the premise is very clever and interesting. But it's the same damn book! King has developed so many characters that they all merge together. That factor was irritating but if you haven't read King before I do recommend it. Especially before the inevitably shitty movie adaptation skips wide release and goes directly to video.

I did get a kick out of a quote near the end. "Never give a good politician time to pray"

:cheers2:

Finished it last night and .... can't really give it a glowing recommendation. btw, how the hell did you read 1070+ pages in 15 hours?

:lol: I read the last 400...sorry that wasn't clear, but it WAS one in the morning.

I guess it may be The Stand you're referring to when you say it's the same book...and I could definitely understand that. Perhaps I was wearing rose-colored glasses because this was closer to vintage 70's 80's King than late 90's-2000's King.

:lol: I read the last 400...sorry that wasn't clear, but it WAS one in the morning.

I guess it may be The Stand you're referring to when you say it's the same book...and I could definitely understand that. Perhaps I was wearing rose-colored glasses because this was closer to vintage 70's 80's King than late 90's-2000's King.

Ahh, makes sense now! It took me almost a week to read it and i stayed up way too late on many of those nights.

You are correct about The Stand. It is one of my all time favorites so I really didn't have much of a problem with the similarities. Interesting in the author's notes at the end that King actually started writing this book in 1976 and put it on the shelf so it could be argued that The Stand is similar to Under the Dome! :cool:

Did you read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon"?

Did you read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon"?

Yep. I've read pretty much everything the man's written. TGWLTG is in the middle of my fave's list: it's not one I'd read over and over again, but I can't help but appreciate King's willingness to try new things, and I thought, considering what he was doing, he did a great job. I mean, it's one thing to have a girl lost in the woods with people looking for her. It's another to have a girl lost in the woods and the only viewpoint we have is that of the girl: she's literally the only character--it was a big risk and it's a testimony to King's mastery of the language that he could write a complete novel about that while keeping our interest.

Archived