• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An early look at 2022 QB class...

methodtoll

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Every time he faces a decent team he doesn't look good. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Its very much like Zach Wilson. His numbers vs crap teams was mindblowingly good. His numbers against teams that finish with winning records was awful. NFL teams fall in love with the tools though and a strong arm and good legs will get you drafted anyway. I hope we aren't one of the teams looking at grabbing a QB in this draft class because Howell is the only one I am interested in as of now. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Pickett is the safest IMO. Howell has all the traits you want and excelled with a decent supporting cast last year. Matt Corral seems to have a lot of ability and competitive edge, but seems a little boom/bust to me. Not sure about Strong from Nevada, need to watch him play. Willis looks like a project. 

Picket doesn't seem all that safe to me. This is his fifth year playing college ball and its his first being anything more than a below average college QB. First four years never had a completion percent at 62+. His TDs to INTs were:

1:1

12:6

13:9

The age gap definitely helps when it comes to college football. He has been 23 years old for the entire college season and will be 24 years old just two months after he gets drafted. When he was playing against kids his age he looked like a nobody really. And it also doesn't help that he is just now putting up numbers when it seems like all of the schools in the ACC has taken multiple steps back outside of Wake Forest who plays no defense. 

Pickett was born on 6/6/1998. Darnold was born 6/5/1997. He is just 364 days younger than Sam Darnold. 

Edited by Varking

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

Picket doesn't seem all that safe to me. This is his fifth year playing college ball and its his first being anything more than a below average college QB. First four years never had a completion percent at 62+. His TDs to INTs were:

1:1

12:6

The age gap definitely helps when it comes to college football. He has been 23 years old for the entire college season and will be 24 years old just two months after he gets drafted. When he was playing against kids his age he looked like a nobody really. And it also doesn't help that he is just now putting up numbers when it seems like all of the schools in the ACC has taken multiple steps back outside of Wake Forest who plays no defense. 

Pickett was born on 6/6/1998. Darnold was born 6/5/1997. He is just 364 days younger than Sam Darnold. 

Yeah, but at least he is doing it against decent competition and consistently (this year). He seems to have a strong work ethic (worked with Manning at his camp this offseason) and has been known as a film study guy. He seems similar (not as good though) to Burrow in ability and having a great senior year (even the whole age thing) with much less talent than Joe had. When I say “safest” I mean his floor seems the highest to me. Howell, Corral, and even Willis (much lower floor) have higher ceilings because of their athletic ability, but seem to carry more risk. 

6 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Pickett is the safest IMO. Howell has all the traits you want and excelled with a decent supporting cast last year. Matt Corral seems to have a lot of ability and competitive edge, but seems a little boom/bust to me. Not sure about Strong from Nevada, need to watch him play. Willis looks like a project. 

I take Pickett in the 2nd or 3rd and call it a day.

I also realize we don't have those picks, so that is out the window.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I take Pickett in the 2nd or 3rd and call it a day.

I also realize we don't have those picks, so that is out the window.

Yeah unfortunately if Pickett is our guy we would have to take him in the first. You have to overdraft QBs. Mac shouldn’t have been a first rounder, but the Pats needed a starter. Maybe we can trade down and still get him while acquiring more picks? 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah unfortunately if Pickett is our guy we would have to take him in the first. You have to overdraft QBs. Mac shouldn’t have been a first rounder, but the Pats needed a starter. Maybe we can trade down and still get him while acquiring more picks? 

Just take the best OL available and take your medicine in the draft. Best to hope for is unloading some players for picks in the offseason. Even then, why nuke the team for one draft?

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Just take the best OL available and take your medicine in the draft. Best to hope for is unloading some players for picks in the offseason. Even then, why nuke the team for one draft?

We REALLY need a QB. It’s crippling this whole team. I’m hoping we pick up some OL in FA and not injury prone ones like Erving and Elf. You can somewhat game plan around a weak line (Chargers and Bengals did with rookie QBs last year), plus we still have BC and Brown developing. None of that matters if Darnold is still our QB.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

We REALLY need a QB. It’s crippling this whole team. I’m hoping we pick up some OL in FA and not injury prone ones like Erving and Elf. You can somewhat game plan around a weak line (Chargers and Bengals did with rookie QBs last year), plus we still have BC and Brown developing. None of that matters if Darnold is still our QB.

Get a starting OL in the first. That solves a huge need. None of these QB's are lilely the guy. Getting desperate is what rhe Browns did during their almost 20 year period trying to find a guy.

We have to get better in free agency, as well but it isn't possible or reasonable to fix that OL next offseason. Too many needs.

BC and Brown....I mean....pardon me for laughing but I have less than zero hope for any OL that Rhule picked.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Get a starting OL in the first. That solves a huge need. None of these QB's are lilely the guy. Getting desperate is what rhe Browns did during their almost 20 year period trying to find a guy.

We have to get better in free agency, as well but it isn't possible or reasonable to fix that OL next offseason. Too many needs.

BC and Brown....I mean....pardon me for laughing but I have less than zero hope for any OL that Rhule picked.

If you don’t trust Rhule with OL, do you want him spending a first on one? A rookie QB at least gives the fans something to be excited about. A better line just gives Darnold more time to “process” and throws picks. He was getting booed today for being terrible. I’d be happy with Howell or Pickett as they have made traditional bad programs look good. The best case would be a new coach coming in with a rookie QB to develop, but I’ll settle for a new OC and QB. 

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So... Sam Howell? Y'all onboard yet?

@kungfoodude

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In the 2nd or 3rd, sure.

We gave up that luxury by having the Teddy and Sam experiment.

Now we are going to be forced into chasing a QB, in a year that by a lot of accounts, is not as good as some years, specifically last year.

With that being said there will be QBs from the 2021 class (which was highly regarded) that won't work out, and there is also a good chance that one of these QBs, in this years class which isn't highly regarded, will work out.

18 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If you don’t trust Rhule with OL, do you want him spending a first on one? A rookie QB at least gives the fans something to be excited about. A better line just gives Darnold more time to “process” and throws picks. He was getting booed today for being terrible. I’d be happy with Howell or Pickett as they have made traditional bad programs look good. The best case would be a new coach coming in with a rookie QB to develop, but I’ll settle for a new OC and QB. 

I am also talking about Rhule not making personnel decisions anymore. That is Fitterer and the front office. That is the way it should be. Rhule gets input but he is not the final say anymore. 

We also have the option to bring in a veteran QB.

• Pie 1

Howell or Willis in the second if we are able to get back into that round.

Both are already familiar with playing behind a horrible OL (Willis sacked 38 times, Howell 33) so they’d be somewhat familiar with what they are walking in to.

Both are also very mobile and not afraid to use their legs. I think the intelligence factor is there is well.

Cross or Neal in the first.