• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinion: Surprise, Surprise. You are CUT

MHS831

Thought we might take a look at some potential surprise cuts.  Feel free to add your list before Tuesday's deadline (Capt. Hindsight):

Melvin CB:  I think he gets cut.  Taylor and Thomas-Oliver III looked good in preseason, and you need to develop youth over paying for some drifter’s retirement.  There was talk about him playing the nickel until Bouye returned, but Hartsfield had a strong preseason, IMO.  Horn and Jackson outside ahead of Taylor and Thomas Oliver, Hartsfield and Bouye at Nickel.  We don’t need Melvin.

Walker QB: They may try to pull him back to the PS, but to what end?  He got outplayed in the preseason by Grier.  Period.  We probably keep 2 QBs on the roster, and one on the PS. 

Thomas TE:  With Rhule’s man crush on Ricci, we have 2 TEs that can play the FB spot.  Rhule bragged about developing Ricci from the PS last year. Could this spell doom for Thomas, who might fall between the cracks?  I think we may have seen his best, and it is not going to cut it.  Oh, and if we keep 4 TEs, Thompson is probably the fourth.  Thomas just makes too many mental errors and has not come close to tapping into his potential.  In a contract year, might as well develop the young’uns.

• Pie 4

As far as Walker on the practice squad, to what end is obvious.  If we need to bring our third string qb off the practice squad at some point, he is at least familiar with the system, and might give us a outside shot at winning if we just need him for a game or two.  

Of course, if we need him for more than two games, the season is probably shot anyway.

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

As far as Walker on the practice squad, to what end is obvious.  If we need to bring our third string qb off the practice squad at some point, he is at least familiar with the system, and might give us a outside shot at winning if we just need him for a game or two.  

It is obvious, unless you bring in another QB--I am not sure PJ's best is going to be enough--ever--so I thought we should develop a young guy with more upside--arguably an Easton Stick or someone of that nature that may have more upside.  I am down on Walker, if you can't tell. 

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

It is obvious, unless you bring in another QB--I am not sure PJ's best is going to be enough--ever--so I thought we should develop a young guy with more upside--arguably an Easton Stick or someone of that nature that may have more upside.  I am down on Walker, if you can't tell. 

Understood, but the odds of getting someone for the practice squad with some real upside at this point is only slightly better than me winning the lottery.  

Surprise cuts- Grier and Walker

I honestly think that Rhule and Fitty aren't happy with the current state of the back up QB situation and will either trade or sign a QB. 

It would not surprise me at all if they go for someone like Jake Fromm if he is cut from Buffalo or Benkert from Green Bay (since Love is the heir to the throne once Rodgers leaves) 

I think that a few vets could be cut like Bonnafon, Trent Scott, Zylstra, and Reggie Smith. Depends on how many we carry at each position. I think the 4, 5, and 6 receivers could help themselves if they can field punts or kickoffs.  Same with a third string running back. You better bring something in the return game.  Of course this year making the 53 won't guarantee a spot until after the season is well underway.

10 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Understood, but the odds of getting someone for the practice squad with some real upside at this point is only slightly better than me winning the lottery.  

I have been saying (and you may disagree) that Easton Stick looked good for the Chargers and the announcers (LAC) were wondering if he might make the team---I dunno, all I have to go on was the one game I watched, but I saw something more than what we have in camp behind SD.

11 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Surprise cut - Brandon Zylstra 

I had him on my list and then took him off--I am keeping 5 WRs with Cannon as a swing WR/RB.  Rhule made some comment about keeping 5, possibly 6.  Smith NOT going to IR is going to hurt Zylstra's chances.  I am simply not sure about his special teams value, which is why I stayed away--at the moment, he is NOT on my 53.  So would his being cut be a surprise?  Could not decide.