• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Conspiracy Theory time - Rhule/Fitterer

Raleigh PF

Take this primarily as humor, but conspiracy theories have at least a modicum of truth sprinkled in. I don't believe any of this, but offer this for a thought exercise.

- The Panthers have long been identified as a team with interest in Deshaun Watson. This was tempered a bit when they traded for Darnold, yet those rumors persist.

- The Texans are going to have to make a decision very soon regarding Watson's status. He hasn't taken any meaningful snaps and it's clear the Texans have no immediate plans to play him. Sounds like they plan to trade him instead.

- PFT is reporting increased trade chatter and is calling out the Panthers as the best fit.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/

"It’s hard to imagine a team giving the Texans what they’ve wanted for Watson — three first-round picks and more. So either the Texans are taking what they can get (if a trade happens) or the Texans will accept a package tied to the number of games Watson plays over the next two or three seasons.

Between Miami and Carolina, the Panthers make more sense. Owner David Tepper has made no secret of his desire for a franchise quarterback. Sam Darnold could still become one. Watson already is. And Tepper, who once kept a set of brass balls in his office, seems willing to roll the dice, despite the lingering uncertainty surrounding Watson."

So *maybe* the Panthers didn't select Fields because they (1) put all their chips on Darnold and/or (2) felt they still had a shot at Watson. If they trade for Watson now, it would likely be at the lowest price the Texans would accept. I would expect the trade to hinge on several contingencies.

I don't think there is any way Watson slides by without some vacation time provided by the NFL office, which means the team may have to get by with Walker/Grier for a few games waiting for the suspension to end and/or the court cases to be resolved (provided Darnold is included in the trade).

So yeah, maybe the Panthers do trade for Watson. Maybe long-term it works out, but there's going to be a lot of turbulence in the meantime and you can likely kiss playoff chances for 2021 goodbye.

Edited by Raleigh PF

Been saying it for a while, Darnold "can be" who they are looking for, but he will need to show it.

However, I think that they are thinking about long term still with the QB position.

Watson, Rodgers, Wilson....all lingering around in their minds if I had to guess.

9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So what is exactly the conspiracy. This is just a rehash of what everyone keep saying which is we are still interested and Fitterer's recurrent comment that we will always be looking to upgrade our talent anyway we can.

The conspiracy would be around the decision not to draft Fields. That move seemed at least somewhat questionable at the time. This could explain the thinking.

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

The conspiracy would be around the decision not to draft Fields. That move seemed at least somewhat questionable at the time. This could explain the thinking.

Fitterer answered that as well.  They felt that the combination of Darnold and Horn offered more value than Fields alone.  It had nothing to do with Watson at all. I think they also knew that New Orleans was looking to trade up to get Horn if we passed so it was also deprived a division opponent the best corner in the draft  to complement Lattimore who is also very good.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I honestly don’t even think Watson would’ve helped behind the OL we had starting as night.  When the Center and Guard are in your lap right off the snap.  Brady or Mahomes couldn’t even bail you out of that one. 
unless it’s a late round pick.  I’m passing.  We’re already missing a 2nd because roof Darnold and we still will have some holes to fill this offseason.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's never "conspiracy theory time".

Thank you. People like conspiracy theories bc they are exciting and fit into our evolved brain's need to form a narrative from disparate events.

The problem remains that human beings are awful at keeping their mouths shut... it's why actual conspiracies involving more than a few people almost anyways fall apart...

25 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

That's not a conspiracy. That's just a decision or strategy.

Edited by Moo Daeng

I'd love to get him but the path forward to actually seeing him play in the NFL again seems rather muddy. I am not sure any team in the NFL is gonna touch him until it becomes clear what the full story is regarding the allegations against him.

The Texans can want to trade him as much as they want but they kind of missed that boat months ago when they wanted three first round draft picks. Bet they wish they had that to do over again.....

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 2