• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2 good reasons not to over-react to tomorrow's game

bigdavis

4 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I thought  that it was pretty much Pittsburgh's starters except for QB.

Last I heard they were sitting a bunch of folks. That may have changed. 

It really doesn't matter. If we get blasted by their starters or we blast their starters.....it's completely irrelevant. The only thing of value is watching some of the players get their individual reps and battle for spots on the depth chart(or roster). The results are completely meaningless otherwise.

• Beer 2

49 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I thought  that it was pretty much Pittsburgh's starters except for QB.

We aren't even getting to face their backup QB. 

This is preseason game 4 in a preseason game 3 world for them.  I doubt a lot of teams will play their starters in game 3 this week either.   Think the window for starters was likely last week.   Rhule just in his own world.  

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Sure. I just want us to not look in pre-season a lot like we did last season. There are extenuating circumstances, sure, but they look a lot like they did before.

That was the point I was making -- play vanilla, to make it seem we're the same pushover on defense, and dink/dunk on offense, as we were last year.

Then Game 1:  whammo!

Therefore, don't be distressed (or "agitated") no matter what happens tonight.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I corrected your error.

I appreciate your effort, but you know what I'm saying. After last year's disappointment, I'd hoped to see something a bit more dynamic being developed, I wanted to see a defense that looked like it belonged in the field in a role of more than a victim, I wanted to see an offensive line that could enforce its will on the opponent. I wanted to see something other than three draw plays in a row at the goal line.

I'm hoping that it's just playing things close to the vest, saving the big surprise for opening day. It's just that after two and a half decades of pre-seasons, you kinda get the feel for when things are going to be interesting and when things are going to be yet another disappointing year. 

I hope it's better than it looks. I've hoped that a lot over the years as the pre-season wraps up.

23 minutes ago, bigdavis said:

That was the point I was making -- play vanilla, to make it seem we're the same pushover on defense, and dink/dunk on offense, as we were last year.

Then Game 1:  whammo!

Therefore, don't be distressed (or "agitated") no matter what happens tonight.

See, I've sat through this movie before and hoped for just that.

Sometimes you just look and hum drumly think: Here we go, again.

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

I appreciate your effort, but you know what I'm saying. After last year's disappointment, I'd hoped to see something a bit more dynamic being developed, I wanted to see a defense that looked like it belonged in the field in a role of more than a victim, I wanted to see an offensive line that could enforce its will on the opponent. I wanted to see something other than three draw plays in a row at the goal line.

I'm hoping that it's just playing things close to the vest, saving the big surprise for opening day. It's just that after two and a half decades of pre-seasons, you kinda get the feel for when things are going to be interesting and when things are going to be yet another disappointing year. 

I hope it's better than it looks. I've hoped that a lot over the years as the pre-season wraps up.

As I stated a few times on here, this is probably the most meaningless preseason in franchise history due to the replacement of one preseason game for a regular season game and the shifting of philosophy as a result. Plus, I think this staff is being way more protective of our first string guys than we have ever seen before, so there just really isn't any useful overall data, IMO. At best, we have learned there are some potential bright spots with the draft picks and signings and that our depth quality is still fuging atrocious. 

I am sure people will try to overanalyze how our starters play this evening against what will likely be an incomplete Steelers squad. It will make for some completely pointless conversations in the 15 days that we will have to kill time before we get any real look at our football team. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, CRA said:

We aren't even getting to face their backup QB. 

This is preseason game 4 in a preseason game 3 world for them.  I doubt a lot of teams will play their starters in game 3 this week either.   Think the window for starters was likely last week.   Rhule just in his own world.  

Eh, not really.  Usually teams wouldn't play starters in Game 4 because Week 1 would start next week.  The Panthers don't have a game until September 12th.

I don't think we should play our starters, but only because I don't think preseason reps help nearly as much as people think it does.  At least not to the point where it will be the difference between Darnold being a good or bad QB this season lol.  Training camp/practice is more than enough.  And at least then you can use your whole playbook.  No offense is showing their full hand in the preseason, so you are already limiting your offense.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1

• 11 months later...