• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers changing their strategy for building a winner

Mr. Scot

Not sure how much I agree with this take. We brought in a lot of free agents and so far only signed Moton and Anderson  of which Moton was the only one we drafted. And both these guys were no brainers. Not saying it won't be true in the end but Fitts hasn't been here a year yet so it hard to declare a new era and strategy yet.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 2

gettlgut refused to discuss contracts during the season. I do agree with hoping the players focuses on the games, but if he calls the GM with a bargain offer, youre not going to take it?? I say even with his odd free agent signing, Im glad herniay or gettlegut are no longer in charge. (same goes for RR/fox or Rhule). Like Rhule finesser gets a grace period....

35 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not sure how much I agree with this take. We brought in a lot of free agents and so far only signed Moton and Anderson  of which Moton was the only one we drafted. And both these guys were no brainers. Not saying it won't be true in the end but Fitts hasn't been here a year yet so it hard to declare a new era and strategy yet.

That's a fair assessment.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nice article by The Observer's Jonathan Alexander...

GM Scott Fitterer mentions that he's willing to talk to players and agents about their contracts at pretty much any time when it might be beneficial. Some GMs won't, but Fitterer apparently doesn't feel like it's too much of a distraction.

Both Fitterer and Rhule seem to want to concentrate more on keeping our own than going out and spending big in free agency. Hence the extensions for guys like Moton and Anderson.

On a related note, a recent discussion in The Athletic asked agents to talk about team officials. Fitterer was mentioned a couple of times as somebody agents believe they can trust; also as someone who knows what he's talking about when it comes to evaluating players.

For the curious, the least trusted GM was Philly's Howie Roseman. Agents felt like he'd lie to his own mother just for the heck of it.

I read that article…agents have no relationship with gettleman…what a surprise 

Revisiting this in the light of our third trade in nine days...

I can't really recall a prior camp where there was this much activity. There's always some churn of course, but in the past it kind of felt like once we got to camp, the guys we had were more or less who we would go with and eventually whittle down. Maybe a minor pickup here or there but nothing too big a deal.

Also mentioned elsewhere that Fitterer doesn't seem to give a sh-t about optics. He had zero problems trading away a guy they just signed in free agency.

• Pie 1

On 8/25/2021 at 2:47 PM, Ace420 said:

Chinn will be cheap if he is considered a safety, but of his agent isn't a moron he will say that he is an OLB which will command double or triple what a safety would.

OLB's that make more do so because they are pass rushing LB's in a 3-4. That is not remotely what Chinn is. Chinn will get paid well regardless, but his agent saying something does not make that thing true.  He will get paid like a pro bowl caliber safety or perhaps non pass rushing LB, which is what he is, not something he is not because his agent has jedi mind powers.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Revisiting this in the light of our third trade in nine days...

I can't really recall a prior camp where there was this much activity. There's always some churn of course, but in the past it kind of felt like once we got to camp, the guys we had were more or less who we would go with and eventually whittle down. Maybe a minor pickup here or there but nothing too big a deal.

Also mentioned elsewhere that Fitterer doesn't seem to give a sh-t about optics. He had zero problems trading away a guy they just signed in free agency.

I like GM's and coaches who don't give a poo about optics. Often it makes them better. Caring what fans think is akin to worrying what the monkey flinging poo at you from inside his cage at the zoo thinks of your fashion choices. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Keeping our own guys is not anything different then what we have been doing. The problem is those guys continuing to play at an elite level after they get paid. 

Hurndawg was great at keeping his guys.  And overpaying them to various degrees.  

• Beer 1