• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not bringing in competition for Darnold or Slye was a huge mistake

hepcat

Not that I'm shocked by it after being around this board for years, but damn man, it never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape some people get based off a preseason game!

I don't know if Sam will end up being the answer @ QB or not, so this isn't a defend Sam post.  With that being said, not every team in the league had/will have a joint practice with another NFL team during preseason.  The Panthers have had two back to back (against two playoff teams from a year ago).  Only like 6 other teams had/will have multiple joint practices and several teams had/will have zero.

Maybe some will say that doesn't matter, but I'd disagree.  We must have a lot of tape against legit competition from those joint sessions.  Now if Sam doesn't get a lot of run against the Steelers either, then I'll start to worry more because Rhule has said the 3rd and final preseason game will be treated like the most legit dress rehearsal.

I will say that not bringing in some better competition at QB for Sam to battle it out with was probably a legit mistake.  I can't argue against that.  Also, Slye does need to go.  Too inconsistent.

• Pie 1

I would have liked veteran depth behind Sam because although Sam is more or less a veteran in many ways, I think it is always helpful to have a guy like that on the sideline.  But I don't think Darnold needs competition ... He knows full well that this year is do or die. And the team is going to ride with him as QB1, or replace him next year like they did with Teddy.

Don’t get me wrong, I am really cheering and hoping Darnold pans out but they should “at least” brought in some competition. I just believe QB is the most important piece. Look at last year, we had the ball in the 4th quarter 7-8 times with a chance to either win or tie but we fell flat every time.  Good QB play could have changed that. It’s too late to say what we could have done in the draft but I would have took Justin Fields/Mac Jones but I don’t make the picks. I get it that he is our starter but what has he done to earn this kind of treatment. Blah go panthers