• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

70 + 77 = legit

Zod

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Rookie LT's who played against less than top flight competition in college starting at LT usually = train wreck.

LT is just a position where you want to avoid starting a rookie at almost all costs.

Then why sell us on him being the future LT all the way till after the draft? They literally said they had a higher grade on him then all the other tackles but then decide immediately after the draft that might not be his best position?? 

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, Zod said:

Been watching Christensen and Brown all night. They are by far the most competent linemen on the field not named Moton. 

At some point they will have to start Moton on the left because the drop off on the right will be less significant than the improvement on the left.

Christensen may start and Brown may be the first one off the bench when someone goes down.

Our draft picks are looking solid. 

• Pie 5

10 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Then why sell us on him being the future LT all the way till after the draft? They literally said they had a higher grade on him then all the other tackles but then decide immediately after the draft that might not be his best position?? 

Can't answer this as I'm not privy to nor speak for the thought process of team decision makers. Only commenting on why I wouldn't put a rookie LT in as a starter. Just because he *might* be the future LT does not mean he should be the present LT.

Given that the coaching staff has already demonstrated a high priority for versatility, they might at this early juncture be working him out at RT to find out how much positional flexibility he has. Just conjecture.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

And RT isn’t? I don’t follow. You’re now asking BC to learn a new position on top of the normal adjustment to league. Could’ve kept him on the left side and sped up his acclimation 

I agree. Not entirely sure what the team's thought process here is, but it does seem based on what we've seen that they don't intend for BC to start at either tackle position this season if possible. I think it's possible they are working him out on the right side just to find out how much positional flexibility he has, in order to know that going forward. If it turns out he sucks at RT and needs to stay on the left side to be effective, that's something they'd want to know. But I'm only guessing.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

We start Jordan Gross at RT his rookie season.  Smart move.

Gross was the top rated tackle in his draft class and we took him at 8. If you're going to start a rookie tackle, the time to do it is when he's a top ten pick. Also it doesn't hurt if you don't have a franchise qb at that point that it's urgent you protect. 2003 was Jake's first year with us. We had no idea if he was any good and we were going into the season with a journeyman aging qb. The need to protect these folks was not as critical as say protecting a Cam Newton in his prime (which we didn't do) or a Sam Darnold that you're trying to evaluate for the long term.

In a perfect world you never start a rookie tackle, but my argument is that the circumstances with Gross in 03 vs now with Christiansen were/are meaningfully more favorable back then.

6 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

I agree. Not entirely sure what the team's thought process here is, but it does seem based on what we've seen that they don't intend for BC to start at either tackle position this season if possible. I think it's possible they are working him out on the right side just to find out how much positional flexibility he has, in order to know that going forward. If it turns out he sucks at RT and needs to stay on the left side to be effective, that's something they'd want to know. But I'm only guessing.

I suspect what they've done, and correct me if I'm wrong, is bring in veteran competition at key positions so the rookie isn't handed the starting job. 

At the end of the day, if Christensen and Brown are good enough, they'll play soon enough. If Erving and co are as bad as many of you fear that may be sooner rather than later.

You've seen what happens when you don't have depth the last two weeks - I'm glad we brought in Elflein and Erving. Depth and competition are key. 

Right now I think Plan A is Erving at LT, Moton at RT. Plan B is Moton at LT and Christensen at RT. They don't see him as a LT in the NFL (at least not as a rookie) as they've not played him there all camp. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

36 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Can't answer this as I'm not privy to nor speak for the thought process of team decision makers. Only commenting on why I wouldn't put a rookie LT in as a starter. Just because he *might* be the future LT does not mean he should be the present LT.

Given that the coaching staff has already demonstrated a high priority for versatility, they might at this early juncture be working him out at RT to find out how much positional flexibility he has. Just conjecture.

For the record im perfectly fine if they dont think he is a LT but not a RT either/tackle at all? That was what threw me off. There is nothing wrong with wanting versatility but there is a such thing as over doing it and that is where the last staff made mistakes. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

For the record im perfectly fine if they dont think he is a LT but not a RT either/tackle at all? That was what threw me off. There is nothing wrong with wanting versatility but there is a such thing as over doing it and that is where the last staff made mistakes. 

Agreed. In a similar vein I have nothing against Terrace Marshall, and so far he looks very promising, but I was not a fan of taking a WR in rd 2 when there were plenty of quality tackle prospects on the board. If Christiansen works out, it paid off. If not....

• Pie 1