• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What was learned from Preseason Week 1

I thought these were well written and cuts through some of the hype (good and bad) for each team

NFC

2021 NFL preseason Week 1: What we learned about each NFC team

CAROLINA PANTHERS

P.J. Walker took a step toward winning the backup quarterback job (again) during the preseason opener. The guy just makes plays. ... The Panthers' left tackle spot is one of the weakest in football, with Trent Scott and Greg Little up first in their rotation Sunday. (UPDATE: The Panthers traded Greg Little to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for a 2022 seventh-round selection, the team announced Tuesday.) I wonder if the team would consider playing rookie third-rounder Brady Christensen there or sliding Taylor Moton to the blind side permanently. ... Denzel Perryman's injury has highlighted the Panthers' lack of options at off-ball linebacker, once the team's bread and butter. ... A young Panthers squad is only going to get younger, with second-rounder Terrace Marshall closing in on winning the No. 3 receiver job while fellow rookie Chuba Hubbard's motor could win him the backup running back spot.

AFC 

2021 NFL preseason Week 1: What we learned about each AFC team

Some interesting former Panther takes.

"Efe Obada is reportedly having a standout camp and can play multiple positions."  I'm happy for him.  It's really a great story.

"Former Panthers first-round pick Vernon Butler may not make the team."  I guess 2020 was a one hit wonder. 

• Beer 1

45 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I thought these were well written and cuts through some of the hype (good and bad) for each team

NFC

2021 NFL preseason Week 1: What we learned about each NFC team

CAROLINA PANTHERS

P.J. Walker took a step toward winning the backup quarterback job (again) during the preseason opener. The guy just makes plays. ... The Panthers' left tackle spot is one of the weakest in football, with Trent Scott and Greg Little up first in their rotation Sunday. (UPDATE: The Panthers traded Greg Little to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for a 2022 seventh-round selection, the team announced Tuesday.) I wonder if the team would consider playing rookie third-rounder Brady Christensen there or sliding Taylor Moton to the blind side permanently. ... Denzel Perryman's injury has highlighted the Panthers' lack of options at off-ball linebacker, once the team's bread and butter. ... A young Panthers squad is only going to get younger, with second-rounder Terrace Marshall closing in on winning the No. 3 receiver job while fellow rookie Chuba Hubbard's motor could win him the backup running back spot.

AFC 

2021 NFL preseason Week 1: What we learned about each AFC team

Some interesting former Panther takes.

"Efe Obada is reportedly having a standout camp and can play multiple positions."  I'm happy for him.  It's really a great story.

"Former Panthers first-round pick Vernon Butler may not make the team."  I guess 2020 was a one hit wonder. 

Butler, Benjamin, Funchess.

Those three alone really hurt us from the Gettleman administration.

5 minutes ago, Zod said:

He always had great camps. His problem was always disappearing when the game started.

He was fairly effective last year. IMO, the biggest issue was continuing to invest in a developmental player that was 29 years old. By the time he may get completely proficient(which is really an if), he would be either nearing retirement or already had started losing a step.

It sucked to lose him because he was such a great story but I don't think anyone can be upset with the guys we replaced him with. Our offseason DL additions were pretty fantastic, IMO.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

He was fairly effective last year. IMO, the biggest issue was continuing to invest in a developmental player that was 29 years old. By the time he may get completely proficient(which is really an if), he would be either nearing retirement or already had started losing a step.

It sucked to lose him because he was such a great story but I don't think anyone can be upset with the guys we replaced him with. Our offseason DL additions were pretty fantastic, IMO.

Yes, He was definitely a fan favorite which made watching him go tougher than usual.

• Beer 1