• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Missing Luke Kuechly

Shocker

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

Don't sleep on Chinn taking over that role.  He's got the athletic ability, it's all down to whether he elevates his preparation to Kuechly levels at this point.

I can't agree with you there. Chinn is a fantastic athlete but the position (which he's never played at the college or NFL levels) requires certain instincts and know-how, particularly at the NFL level. There's a reason guys like Beason and Kuechly weren't nearly as good on the outside and it goes the other way as well.

2 hours ago, KSpan said:

I can't agree with you there. Chinn is a fantastic athlete but the position (which he's never played at the college or NFL levels) requires certain instincts and know-how, particularly at the NFL level. There's a reason guys like Beason and Kuechly weren't nearly as good on the outside and it goes the other way as well.

I think you're missing my point.

We cannot replace Kuechly, the MLB.  He was generational.  We'll never see another like him here in our lifetime.

What we can HOPE to replace is what he brought to the defense, the leadership.  What we miss most from Kuechly is not his ability to play MLB - as exceptional as it was.  What we miss is that guy who can call out the play that's coming, the guy who can get us into the right defense to counter it, the guy who puts his teammates in position to be successful.

I think / hope Chinn can be THAT guy.  Another season playing at the level he played at last year will give Chinn the "street cred" with the rest of the defense to start taking over that sort of role.  If he can mentally get to that place where Kuechly lived.

13 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I think you're missing my point.

We cannot replace Kuechly, the MLB.  He was generational.  We'll never see another like him here in our lifetime.

What we can HOPE to replace is what he brought to the defense, the leadership.  What we miss most from Kuechly is not his ability to play MLB - as exceptional as it was.  What we miss is that guy who can call out the play that's coming, the guy who can get us into the right defense to counter it, the guy who puts his teammates in position to be successful.

I think / hope Chinn can be THAT guy.  Another season playing at the level he played at last year will give Chinn the "street cred" with the rest of the defense to start taking over that sort of role.  If he can mentally get to that place where Kuechly lived.

Ah, gotcha. I read that as you proposing him moving to MLB.