• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke Kuechly in Buffalo Bills gear

Carl Spackler

7 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

He's an FBI agent now. But again, it's not apples to apples, because he played here for years. Luke never wore a Bills jersey. That's what makes it weird. If he wore WFT stuff, yeah, then this makes sense too, but if not, then yeah he's on the payroll -- another miss from our front office.

Just saying, I absolutely love Luke, but we don't really have any idea that he's actually an asset in the front office or as a coach. Not all the best players make good coaches, no matter how great their understanding of the game is. There have been plenty of tremendous football minds who just didn't make great coaches/front office personnel.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

Just saying, I absolutely love Luke, but we don't really have any idea that he's actually an asset in the front office or as a coach. Not all the best players make good coaches, no matter how great their understanding of the game is. There have been plenty of tremendous football minds who just didn't make great coaches/front office personnel.

I know. Just like some subpar players became good coaches. I just think that anyone with Luke's intellect, dedication and natural skill has to translate to a successful coaching/FO position. It's a rare mix.

33 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Yes on the dumpster fire, but how'd he get forced out? 

Luke Kuechly is probably the smartest guy in the room....in a lot of football rooms he walks into. 

I'm not saying he was forced out.  But if you wanted a hypothetical reason of why a brand new and green NFL staff might not love him.  That could be a reason. 

• Pie 5
  • Poo 1

16 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Personally, I am very, very unimpressed with this coaching staff and that has 0 to do with Sunday, because preseason is preseason and I've steadfastly held this opinion for quite some time now, with nothing short of blind optimism and vitriol from others to make me consider otherwise.

I think Rhule was not a good hire and this is one of those things where I'm a few months ahead of the rest of the Huddle saying the same thing by mid-December. The coaching staff has a Kelvin Benjamin-sized hole where experience should be, and Big XII experience does not equate to NFL experience. I think Rhule's best asset is his ability to relate to his players (hence being a players' coach), but that reputation only lasts as long as guys are willing to play hard for him. At some point, the playing hard has to equate to victories, not unrealized potential and infinite patience. Another terrible season and he will be on the hot seat, whether he's Mr. Popular or he's P.J. Carlesimo to 53 Latrell Sprewells.

I was pleasantly surprised by his in-game adjustments last year and tactical acumen...  but, I was not a fan of the hire when we made it.  He has made me a believer in his coaching ability and as a culture setter so far, but I do have some hesitation in fully buying in because of the huge flub that his QB decision last year ended up causing and was directly responsible for 8 of our losses.  I worry about the college stuff a bit and that maybe that wears thin on some guys, but I think he speaks with conviction and authenticity, and that resonates with players, which is why I'm hopeful that he will become an elite coach that guys want to play for...  but the QB stuff and the constant college connections popping up here - those things are gonna have to sort themselves out.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

Luke Kuechly is probably the smartest guy in the room....in a lot of football rooms he walks into. 

I'm not saying he was forced out.  But if you wanted a hypothetical reason of why a brand new and green NFL staff might not love him.  That could be a reason. 

That's very plausible. If true, sure looks bad on the team -- but it wouldn't be the first inkling we've gotten of resentment at not being the smartest person in the room.

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I was pleasantly surprised by his in-game adjustments last year and tactical acumen...  but, I was not a fan of the hire when we made it.  He has made me a believer in his coaching ability and as a culture setter so far, but I do have some hesitation in fully buying in because of the huge flub that his QB decision last year ended up causing and was directly responsible for 8 of our losses.  I worry about the college stuff a bit and that maybe that wears thin on some guys, but I think he speaks with conviction and authenticity, and that resonates with players, which is why I'm hopeful that he will become an elite coach that guys want to play for...  but the QB stuff and the constant college connections popping up here - those things are gonna have to sort themselves out.

Thanks for engaging. I respect how he seems to command a room, but whether I'm sold on that or not is immaterial compared to how the players feel. At the same time, their buy-in is important -- but even less important than his bringing in the right players as opposed to simply players from Temple and Baylor whenever remotely possible, or the wrong players. Rhule can win me over this season, or he can simply reinforce the accuracy of my present opinions.   

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

Thanks for engaging. I respect how he seems to command a room, but whether I'm sold on that or not is immaterial compared to how the players feel. At the same time, their buy-in is important -- but even less important than his bringing in the right players as opposed to simply players from Temple and Baylor whenever remotely possible, or the wrong players. Rhule can win me over this season, or he can simply reinforce the accuracy of my present opinions.   

I am with that.

• Pie 1