• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much preseason time should Darnold play?

Zod

6 hours ago, jfra78 said:

The problem with playing him against 2nd and 3rds is that you will have people trying to make a name for themselves gunning after him.  He does need a lot of reps tho, do we keep in all the 1s with him?

Yea cuz anyone would become a household commodity after waxing "the" Sam Darnold

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

I see him playing quiet a bit in the preseason. I think some will be surprised by how much he plays. I don't want to shock anyone, but Rhule's philosophy is that the QB should be able to get out of trouble and make the right choices even when the o-line is not blocking well. That will likely mean imo that our o-line is not, and will never be a top priority, hence we don't really have a proper LT. So expect Darnold to be thrown to the wolves and if he can't hack it then this will be his only season at QB for us. 

7 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

And we miss an entire year of evaluating whether he can actually be the answer at QB. That would be a terrible scenario.

Not necessarily. Depending on the severity of injury. We still have his 5th year to look and can draft either a QB if we like, draft a top OT, or trade back for extra picks and continue to build through the draft, presuming Grier leads us to a 2 win season. If Philly wanted one of either  Rattler or Howell, then they have 3 1sts to play with and I'm sure Fitts would love them. 

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Not every one.  For instance, Moton, Scott and Erving at LT.   These are legitimate options for us at LT.  

All jokes aside, the starter quality is as bad or just slightly worse than last season but there might not be a huge drop off to our #2 OL unit this year. We definitely had an atrocious offseason  attempting to improve that unit but we really did shore up our depth. But, just simply removing Little from the rotation automatically improves it pretty dramatically. 

16 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Whenever he plays, it needs to be with 1st string Olineman when they are fresh.

I would certainly limit it to something like 1st quarter each game.

As we practice with both our first two opponents. I'm not sure how much we will even see Sam the first two games.

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, Zod said:

On the one hand Darnold needs as many reps as possible in a new system.

On the other hand his offensive line isn't good and the season is over if Darnold is hurt.

What to do?

Game 1:

1Q Darnold

2Q Grier

3Q Grier 

4Q Walker

Game 2:

1Q Darnold

2Q Darnold

3Q Grier

4Q Walker

Game 3: