• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer also has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it.

GoobyPls

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah and if one like Sewell falls to us, we should. We just don’t need to draft one in the first just for the sake of doing it though. If the value is there, I’m for it.

Same is true for QB and every other position. Would you and the others wanting Fields still want a first round QB if it was Jones being talked about as the pick instead? 

12 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

Like I said this is the NFL. If you are waiting for someone roll out the red carpet to get your shot for then I have some bad news. The fact that Darnold is currently on the Panthers roster is giving him the chance to prove himself. Also, Cam did compete for his spot every season and he proved all the way up to the moment he was released he was the best QB the Panthers can get.

Your issue seems to be of the perceived unfairness of the NFL. Ye, I would agree the NFL is unfair but it is what it is. I would even extend that to life in general. Everyone feels the short end of the stick at one point. I don’t know why Darnold all of a sudden needs to be accommodated and given a pity party. I know I’m going to sound corny when saying this but “if he dies, he dies”.

Cam never had to compete for his spot. It was handed to him day 1. How many first round QBs were taken after Cam to compete with him? How many second rounders? How many vets were brought in? None. People have even posted here that the Panthers were scared to do so.

I don't have a problem with the unfairness of the NFL. I have a problem with drafting another young QB that highly when you just traded for one. Give the guy that is here as strong of a supporting cast as you can and coaching. Then see what he can do. If he fails to deliver, then replace him. It doesn't make sense to replace him before he even steps on the field.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Take Cam off of those teams and you have an absolutely terrible run of football for the Panthers. Cam is a great example of the impact of an elite QB. Most of those teams pretty much sucked minus Cam.

The fact that people still immediately go all the way back to the Dilfers and Johnsons of the NFL is exhibit 1A on why that philosophy of roster building no longer works on today's NFL where the rules are continually tweaked to create advantages for the offense - particularly the passing game.

Most of those teams sucked with Cam. That's the point. It takes more than just a franchise QB.

I also mentioned Foles, which you had as well, and as I stated, it could be argued Manning as well.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Having to try and develop two guys who are basically rookies into NFL quarterbacks at the same time is a terrible problem to have.

you need to quit calling Darnold a rookie that's ridiculous

you know he has played in the NFL for three years now...just saying

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You keep saying that Darnold is basically a rookie but that's just hilarious. He's started more games in the NFL than any of these college prospects we're talking about have started in college. He isn't basically a rookie. He's IS a bust looking to resurrect his career. Let's not gloss over three years of terrible play and pretend like he's basically a rookie.

Maybe you should tell that to the guy who said that his last few years in New York were basically his junior and senior years.

He can be reached by calling the Panthers stadium and asking to speak to the head coach.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Maybe you should tell that to the guy who said that his last few years in New York were basically his junior and senior years.

He can be reached by calling the Panthers stadium and asking to speak to the head coach.

What is Rhule supposed to say? Yeah, we know he sucked but we're really hoping he won't here. It's coach speak.

55 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Darnold is 23 and mostly just a kid still. He may not ever be more than he is now, but the way to find out is by giving him a fair chance. Give him better coaching and a better supporting cast than he had in New York. Having a first round QB looking over his shoulder would not be a fair chance. The pressure to start the rookie would be too great. The fans would be calling for the rookie to start the second he is drafted. Even if the coaches wanted to use Darnold, they would have Tepper's pressure to start the rookie too as he would want to see his new rookie out there.

The only LTs that hit the market are those that are past their prime or not worth what they want to get paid. Having a franchise LT on a rookie contract with a fifth year option would be beneficial to the team as well.

This is the NFL, there is no such thing as FAIR, produce, and be available -- we moved off our franchise's BEST player for those reasons. 

Darnold doesn't get or deserve a ''fair chance'' if a better option is in the draft, he was Plan F up to this point. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

What is Rhule supposed to say? Yeah, we know he sucked but we're really hoping he won't here. It's coach speak.

You realize Matt Rhule had a hand in bringing him here, right?

He and Fitterer both watched the film of his entire Jets career before making the decision.

This notion that they traded for somebody they think sucks is just insane.

• Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

You realize Matt Rhule had a hand in bringing him here, right?

He and Fitterer both watched the film of his entire Jets career before making the decision.

This notion that they traded for somebody they think sucks is just insane.

Oh...

you know this for sure?

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Maybe you should ask the guy who said that his last few years in New York were basically his junior and senior years.

I mean, part of that is simply sales job to a fanbase.   He has 32 NFL starts under his belt.   Which is more starts than Teddy had coming in to last season.    And Sam has logged more wins over the past 3 seasons than Teddy.  I mean, that isn't a rookie.   Darnold was mismanaged.    Darnold wasn't put in a good position for success.  But he isn't comparable to a rookie QB.    He has 3 straight seasons of live NFL action as a starter and is acclimated to NFL game speed/talent. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Having to try and develop two guys who are basically rookies into NFL quarterbacks at the same time is a terrible problem to have.

That's the way you see it.

As I've mentioned many times, the Panthers don't necessarily see things the way you do.

• Flames 2

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Same is true for QB and every other position. Would you and the others wanting Fields still want a first round QB if it was Jones being talked about as the pick instead? 

Cam never had to compete for his spot. It was handed to him day 1. How many first round QBs were taken after Cam to compete with him? How many second rounders? How many vets were brought in? None. People have even posted here that the Panthers were scared to do so.

I don't have a problem with the unfairness of the NFL. I have a problem with drafting another young QB that highly when you just traded for one. Give the guy that is here as strong of a supporting cast as you can and coaching. Then see what he can do. If he fails to deliver, then replace him. It doesn't make sense to replace him before he even steps on the field.

Most of those teams sucked with Cam. That's the point. It takes more than just a franchise QB.

I also mentioned Foles, which you had as well, and as I stated, it could be argued Manning as well.

Why would a team draft a QB in the first round when they are convinced that the QB they have now is their franchise QB? That was why Cam was never given competition. He proved to the Panthers FO at the time he was the guy.

My argument and many on here have said is that if believe you have your franchise QB then you build around him. However, if you do not believe you do then you keep looking. If the Panthers FO doesn’t believe that Sam Darnold is our franchise QB and think a QB who falls to #8 is then they should select him. It doesn’t’ matter if that guy is Fields, Lance, Jones, or some guy we haven’t heard of. The only reason Fields is being brought up is simple because of all the rumors he could fall and the Panthers potentially valuing him as a franchise QB. 

If they think Sam Darnold can be the guy then they should and will build around him by selecting a non-QB. This isn’t splitting atoms.