• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, maybe this will help.

There were guys Tepper wanted for the GM job, including guys that nobody else was interviewing (seriously, Brandt Tillis?) and there were guys that Matt Rhule wanted for the GM job.

None of Tepper's guys even made it to the second round. Rhule won that debate.

I'd call that a reason for hope.

No doubt about it...and then it will all be dashed away again if we stay at 8 and grab Horn.

I'm with you though, I actually liked the Sam pickup, thought it was a smart way to not to HAVE to mortgage the future of the team on an unknown.  Now, Sam is an unknown, but a 2nd is better than number 8 and next years 1 to grab Lance...at least IMO.

And honestly, I haven't really had any major issues with this past offseason so far, other than CMC and Shaq having their contracts restructured...so maybe we are onto something.

I certainly hope so.

7 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

No doubt about it...and then it will all be dashed away again if we stay at 8 and grab Horn.

I'm with you though, I actually liked the Sam pickup, thought it was a smart way to not to HAVE to mortgage the future of the team on an unknown.  Now, Sam is an unknown, but a 2nd is better than number 8 and next years 1 to grab Lance...at least IMO.

And honestly, I haven't really had any major issues with this past offseason so far, other than CMC and Shaq having their contracts restructured...so maybe we are onto something.

I certainly hope so.

I wasn't a fan of trading for Darnold, but now that we've got him I want us to do everything possible to help him succeed.

Again, here's hoping...

Devil's advocate:  (about drafting a CB at 8)--we need a #1 outside CB to take away the alpha WRs in the conference.  It makes the entire secondary better.  My preference (and I am a lifelong Gamecock fan--Dad caught 35 passes for them the year I was born) is Surtain because he can press and does not bite on double moves.  That allows the safety to cheat toward the #2.  I have said that before, and if true, a #1 CB with that skill set is very valuable if you consider that we were 31st in the league in getting off the field on 3rd downs.  Yes, we need to protect the blind side---but we also need to be assessing player impact as much as player vs player.  

If we move back and get Surtain or Horn, and then grab a LT in round 2---elation and joy.  iF we stay put and take a Sewell or Slater, we get a #2 CB or nickel in round 2.

• Pie 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

Devil's advocate:  (about drafting a CB at 8)--we need a #1 outside CB to take away the alpha WRs in the conference.  It makes the entire secondary better.  My preference (and I am a lifelong Gamecock fan--Dad caught 35 passes for them the year I was born) is Surtain because he can press and does not bite on double moves.  That allows the safety to cheat toward the #2.  I have said that before, and if true, a #1 CB with that skill set is very valuable if you consider that we were 31st in the league in getting off the field on 3rd downs.  Yes, we need to protect the blind side---but we also need to be assessing player impact as much as player vs player.  

If we move back and get Surtain or Horn, and then grab a LT in round 2---elation and joy.  iF we stay put and take a Sewell or Slater, we get a #2 CB or nickel in round 2.

Corner is so deep this year we can get a #1 in the 2nd.  Hopefully Joseph. 

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Corner is so deep this year we can get a #1 in the 2nd.  Hopefully Joseph. 

This is a key reason why I'm hoping we don't draft a CB in the 1st. I like the CB prospects likely to be there at the top of the 2nd better than I do the OT prospects likely to be there.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, BurnNChinn said:

Is there any chance Dolphins take wr and Pitts falls to us?

Yes.  There is a definite possibility of that.  They could want to take Waddle or Smith and pair them up with Tua.  They definitely need another weapon down there.  Totally could happen.  And remember, there is ALWAYS a couple headscratcher picks that nobody saw coming.  Will happen tomorrow.  It always happens.  

40 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I prefer Sertain to Horn for sure...while I wouldn't love that selection at 8, I could understand it.  Would prefer to move back a couple and still get one of them and maybe grab a 3rd in the process incase there is a T in the 2nd that we want to move up to grab.

Still praying that Sewell slips to us somehow.

Just now, thefuzz said:

I prefer Sertain to Horn for sure...while I wouldn't love that selection at 8, I could understand it.  Would prefer to move back a couple and still get one of them and maybe grab a 3rd in the process incase there is a T in the 2nd that we want to move up to grab.

Still praying that Sewell slips to us somehow.

Horn is our CB1 I believe 

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, Verge said:

Horn is our CB1 I believe 

I'm not astute enough at watching film to understand why, but man, Surtain just looks so much better out there to my untrained eye.

Maybe it's the talent around him or better schemes from coaching?