• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deshaun Watson has lawsuit filed against him by Tony Buzbee

Verge

Just now, ForJimmy said:

So he asked her, she said no and that was the end? Also it’s going to be near impossible to prove this.

Big reason why it's not a criminal case...

Well, that plus the fact that I don't know if you could technically even say a crime was committed here given the story.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Did you read the decision? The suit was dismissed, appealed and dismissed again meaning a judge ruled the claims baseless. 

Family was suing a doctor for medical malpractice after their 2 year old child died in their care for a routine surgery. 

The ads were an attempt to locate other families who lost a child to negligent care to bolster their argument, put pressure on for a settlement or search for a mass tort exposure. 

If it was my kid I'd want to make sure the doctor never worked again. You'd be surprised how many surgeons have patients die from legitimate negligence and go on to continue working because the insurance paid out.

As someone who deals with Personal Injury lawyers daily for work this doesn't even register as scummy. This is no different than those dozens of commercials "Have you or someone you loved suffered from mesothelioma? You MAY be entitled to financial compensation"

Just my take though. Don't mean to derail the thread. Will be interesting to read the complaint once available .

That particular doc was a motion to dismiss the suit. The motion was filed by Buzzbee. 

The motion was denied.

The judge found that Buzbee was using the billboards for commercial gain (vs free speech) so he was allowed to be sued for defamation.

The trial court's order denying the motion to dismiss is affirmed. March 9, 2021

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Big reason why it's not a criminal case...

Well, that plus the fact that I don't know if you could technically even say a crime was committed here given the story.

The biggest risk isn't even the civil suit itself but any independent NFL investigation that may happen as a result.  No telling what Goodell may do in the wake of "me too".  He can almost expect some form of punishment just for being accused.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Now that's per florio, but legal things are about the only thing I'd trust him on

Oh lord... Internet is gonna have a field day with that.. theres gotta be more than that. 

Of course we won't know till the complaint comes out... which might never happen because now nobody can find proof they've actually filed, at least not in Texas. I dont care enough to check the Bar website and see if Beezbo or whatever is licensed in other states but its possible it could be filed in another state if this happened outside of Texas.

to be clear, asking a masseuse to massage an "inappropriate area" is very, very not cool. it's not even borderline or in some grey area. it could be construed as coercive in certain circumstances.

but it's certainly not sexual assault. harassment, perhaps. does it warrant criminal charges? I don't see how it could. would it reflect poorly on his character? yes it would, absolutely.

if Watson left when asked to leave, honestly that should probably be the end of it, as far as a legal or civil matter. but I guess we'll continue to see the details dribble out at this point. it's playing out according to someone's plan.

2 minutes ago, NAS said:

The biggest risk isn't even the civil suit itself but any independent NFL investigation that may happen as a result.  No telling what Goodell may do in the wake of "me too".  He can almost expect some form of punishment just for being accused.

He's already headed for the exempt list, you can be sure of that.

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

That particular doc was a motion to dismiss the suit. The motion was filed by Buzzbee. 

The motion was denied.

The judge found that Buzbee was using the billboards for commercial gain (vs free speech) so he was allowed to be sued for defamation.

The trial court's order denying the motion to dismiss is affirmed. March 9, 2021

Oof. Rekt. 

Thats what I get for trying to multi task with reddit, the huddle, a toddler and work. Thats on me. 

Read where it stemmed from the initial suit filed by him and completely skipped this was a separate suit brought against him. 

Thanks for calling me on it. 

6 minutes ago, NAS said:

An NFL investigation would indeed have the lowest bar to clear. It just has to be "believable".

8 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Oof. Rekt. 

Thats what I get for trying to multi task with reddit, the huddle, a toddler and work. Thats on me. 

Read where it stemmed from the initial suit filed by him and completely skipped this was a separate suit brought against him. 

Thanks for calling me on it. 

No worries.

It’s one thing to say: “science has proven that asbestos causes cancer. If you’re been exposed, we can help”

It’s another to say this:

”ATTENTION!

IMPORTANT!!

If your child was injured or died while receiving treatment from Dr. Roberto Canales,we want to talk to you.

We are investigating claims for parents whose children died while undergoing treatment by Dr. Canales and the hospitals with whom he is affiliated

Call us

immediately!

We are seeking information regarding your experience.”

He basically put out at ad saying, “there’s a rumor that Stevesmithtd89 sucks at his job and kills people. If you have proof, call us.”

Thats pretty defamatory.

• Pie 1