• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers FA and a JAG world

Jmac

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's the first thing that came to mind for me. It honestly looks like they're building a supporting cast of talent to fit Cam's strengths while he's on a "prove it" contract. I'm glad they didn't decide to toss him to the curb after putting him on the field with Arena League caliber offensive weapons.

They're drafting a QB. All of these pick-ups should help Cam's game, but they are really meant for someone else. Cam never played Belichick's style of football and I don't see either of them being able to change at this time. Cam's contract doesn't even match up with the voodoo contract that Taysom Hill got in New Orleans.

What the Patriots have picked up is targets for a pocket passer QB, while letting go some old legs on the offensive line. 

At least that's my take on it.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Cam very well could be in a place that he's more interested in trying to resurrect his NFL career and compete to win than he is further padding his bank account.

Even if he's trying to maximize his earnings, taking a one year prove it deal packed with incentives surrounded by quality talent is probably the best long-term strategy rathet than trying to maximize guaranteed payout this year in a cap restricted environment.

He really was lucky to get that . He's been injured and/or played poorly for 4 out of the last 5 seasons since 2015 ended (I'm referring to 2017 season ). 

The fact that he's still starting is pretty incredible. But this is probably his last shot to remain a starting QB. If he puts up another stinker in 2021 hell only get backup offers or retire if he doesn't want to be a backup. 

To be real he's already had a decent career. He's got a ton of rushing QB records , most of Panthers QB records, a MVP and a 15-1 season. I'm sure he just wants a Super Bowl now he's already made an insane amount of money and keeps making it through a ton of endorsements. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

They're drafting a QB. All of these pick-ups should help Cam's game, but they are really meant for someone else. Cam never played Belichick's style of football and I don't see either of them being able to change at this time. Cam's contract doesn't even match up with the voodoo contract that Taysom Hill got in New Orleans.

What the Patriots have picked up is targets for a pocket passer QB, while letting go some old legs on the offensive line. 

At least that's my take on it.

I think it's highly likely they draft a QB at some point. I definitely don't think it's a lock that they draft a QB in the 1st. Now they have options.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it's highly likely they draft a QB at some point. I definitely don't think it's a lock that they draft a QB in the 1st. Now they have options.

Having filled so many positions with free agents, using those draft picks to trade up would be one of those options.

Mentioned elsewhere that's out of character for them, though.

Of course, so is this colossal free agent spending spree.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I am pretty happy to NOT be doing what the Pats are doing. The crazy money they are spending is highly unlikely to pay off.

Unfortunately this day and age it seems to be working. Unlucky for us Herndog always paid our underperforming players and gave deals to early to our players that did perform slightly. 

3 hours ago, Snake said:

Unfortunately this day and age it seems to be working. Unlucky for us Herndog always paid our underperforming players and gave deals to early to our players that did perform slightly. 

There are very few examples of wild spending in free agency paying off. The most obvious one was Tampa last season but that is definitely abnormal.

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

There are very few examples of wild spending in free agency paying off. The most obvious one was Tampa last season but that is definitely abnormal.

Tampa is the only example of it ever working to win a SB.  Lots of teams have tried but they all failed because the didn't have TB to top it off.   Without TB Tampa would have failed also.  As long as he's playing they will have a shot if they can keep paying all the other talent they signed.  It helps if you have a good draft to set it all up.  There's just too many things that have to go perfectly for it to pay off.  But that doesn't stop teams from trying.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 1