• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Saints are still $55M over the cap after multiple moves

Ja  Rhule

They also franchise tag Williams yesterday that cost them $10M.  Question is... what are the penalties if a team cannot get under the salary cap before start of new league year?  The Saints are royally fuged as it stands right now.

The Saints restructured DB Malcolm Jenkins' contract to save $3.4 million in 2021. 

The Saints also redid OL Andrus Peat's contract to save $6 million this year. These are the latest moves in the team's ancient practice of trying frantically to get under the salary cap. Even after these restructures, the Saints are around $55 million over the cap. Jenkins, formerly of the Eagles, signed a four-year, $32 million contract with New Orleans last spring. Jenkins, 34, is signed through the 2023 season. 

Edited by Ja Rhule
  • The D 1

12 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Question is... what are the penalties if a team cannot get under the salary cap before start of new league year?

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Salary_cap#:~:text=National Football League,-The new Collective&text=The NFL's cap is a,or loss of draft picks.

Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks.

And I refer back to my previous response.

Edited by Pup McBarky
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

They'll get under. I'm by no means a cap genius but the Saints will do exactly what the saints have done for a decade - kick the can down the road. They'll continue to wager the continual increase in cap space will offset any dead money incurred. 

That said heres a handful of easy moves to get under. I imagine they'll need to get creative to be players in FA but here we go. 

Release Alexander, Brown, Murray and Sanders - saves roughly 26 million total

Extend Lattimore and Ramczyk with low base salaries and high signing bonuses spread out - Could save as much as 18 million this year if they both played on base salaries of around 1 million. 

Restructure Thomas' contract (again, just did it last year lol) and convert the high base salary to signing bonus spread out over several years, could add a dummy year - MT could generate 9-10 million. 

Restructure Janoris Jenkins, saves 4.5, add a dummy year and could up it to 7-8.

Extend Armstead- last year of his contract with an 18 million base salary and no signing bonus, extend him 3-4 years and convert his base this year to bonus spread over the life of the contract, could generate 10-12  million this year dependent the number of years.

That's roughly 65-70 million right there. Of course the actual numbers will vary dependent on how things shake out in contract negotiations and assuming they can come to a deal with Armstead, Lattimore and Ramczyk. Personally hope they bend the saints over in contract negotiations since they have all the leverage. 

Point still stands, if I can see a solution in 15 minutes lying on my couch while my daughter watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse... then the Saints FO can too. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

They'll get under. I'm by no means a cap genius but the Saints will do exactly what the saints have done for a decade - kick the can down the road. They'll continue to wager the continual increase in cap space will offset any dead money incurred. 

That said heres a handful of easy moves to get under. I imagine they'll need to get creative to be players in FA but here we go. 

Release Alexander, Brown, Murray and Sanders - saves roughly 26 million total

Extend Lattimore and Ramczyk with low base salaries and high signing bonuses spread out - Could save as much as 18 million this year if they both played on base salaries of around 1 million. 

Restructure Thomas' contract (again, just did it last year lol) and convert the high base salary to signing bonus spread out over several years, could add a dummy year - MT could generate 9-10 million. 

Restructure Janoris Jenkins, saves 4.5, add a dummy year and could up it to 7-8.

Extend Armstead- last year of his contract with an 18 million base salary and no signing bonus, extend him 3-4 years and convert his base this year to bonus spread over the life of the contract, could generate 10-12  million this year dependent the number of years.

That's roughly 65-70 million right there. Of course the actual numbers will vary dependent on how things shake out in contract negotiations and assuming they can come to a deal with Armstead, Lattimore and Ramczyk. Personally hope they bend the saints over in contract negotiations since they have all the leverage. 

Point still stands, if I can see a solution in 15 minutes lying on my couch while my daughter watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse... then the Saints FO can too. 

Yep. Said this in another thread as well. Like you, I’m no cap genius but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out how to get them under again.

The key for them is that they’re not paying/restructuring bad players. Our issue is that we’re always trying to get rid of contracts where as they’re ok with extending the guys they have. 

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Difference between us and them is their players don't rest on their laurels after getting a big contract. 

Honestly, I'd say the biggest difference between them and us is that they've drafted really well and we haven't.

It's a whole lot easier to afford other players when you've got good ones on rookie contracts.

• Beer 1