• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Free agent rankings

ladypanther

A sidenote 1st:

https://theathletic.com/2436889/2021/03/09/big-questions-remain-as-nfl-begins-countdown-to-free-agency-crapshoot/

“The top guys are going to get paid, but the middle class is going to be squeezed quite a bit,” an NFL agent told The Athletic. “I really feel for those guys. For a lot of them, just to be on a roster next year they’re going to have to take a sizable pay cut.”

After conversations with agents and team officials in recent days, what’s clear is that next week could be the most unpredictable free agency period in recent memory. 

This is a bad year to be a mid-tier NFL veteran, the type of player who has advanced beyond his rookie contract but might not have a long-term deal with high guarantees to ensure some measure of job security.

These are the type of players who make up the bulk of NFL rosters, and several agents told The Athletic they fear a depressed market for this class of more experienced players. 

https://theathletic.com/2431491/2021/03/09/ranking-nfl-free-agencys-top-150-players-with-possible-price-tags/

10. Taylor Moton, OT, Carolina Panthers (27)

There’s a lot to like about Moton. He’s never missed a game and has been a rock-solid right tackle for Carolina. Ja’Wuan James got a four-year, $51 million deal with the Broncos in 2019, and Jack Conklin signed a three-year, $42 million deal with the Browns last offseason. Moton will likely be looking to get a deal in that range if the Panthers don’t use the franchise tag on him.

30. Curtis Samuel, WR, Carolina Panthers (25)

Coaches often fall in love with players like Samuel, who can offer speed and versatility. Samuel set career highs with 77 catches for 851 yards in 2020, and he was much more efficient than he had been previously, catching 79.4 percent of his targets. The Panthers used Samuel as a ballcarrier, too — he had 41 carries for 200 yards. With the right offensive coach, Samuel is a really fun player. With the wrong one, he could be a bust. But he produced his career season at the perfect time to get paid.

I couldn't get behind the paywall so I looked up this FA ranking, which has Samuel listed as #39 overall and #8 WR. So, does he qualify as a "top guy" or "middle class". I know that changes on a team-by-team basis, but IF he's the latter, it bodes well for us. I could see him betting on himself by signing a 1 deal. Might as well be with us. Then he can go head to head with Robinson for the long term deal next year.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2021-rankings-top-players-by-position/rlkvwo4o8n2h1alsqclgplvqu

46 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He will be a top guy because I’d bet most of the WRs ahead of him get tagged or extended. When you are looking at the full list before tags and extensions get worked out (a few days before full FA starts), it’s looks like there’s more available than there will be. Maybe another good WR draft will make more available but I do think a bunch of WRs ahead of him won’t really be FAs. 

Good point. Chris Godwin, Allen Robinson, Kenny Golladay, Juju Smith-Schuster, Will Fuller, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones all outrank him (per the article), but half of those won't actually test free agency. By tagging Moton, we guaranteed that Samuel gets to shop around.