• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good Observer article on Teddy and other QB stuff

ladypanther

Finally got to where I could read it.

Excerpts:

The Panthers have holes all over the field, from offensive and defensive line to tight end and cornerback. Those needs have to be addressed, especially the lines, for any quarterback to come in to help lead a team to success. But there’s no denying finding a quarterback for the long-term is a key element in the NFL. It’s the reason why so many teams are in the hunt for one this offseason. Deshaun Watson’s surprise potential availability simply shifts the landscape for finding one.

Just a year after the signing, the Panthers are including Bridgewater in trade proposals (see Matthew Stafford) and no public support has been given from Tepper, Rhule or Fitterer for Bridgewater being the Week 1 starter in 2021.

But despite that, there’s a solid chance he will be.

Tepper is very interested in bringing Watson to Carolina, as The Observer has reported over the last month. That sentence a year ago would have been shocking, which is another lesson that predicting anything too far into the future in the NFL is a waste of time. The quarterback dominoes continuing to fall, including Carson Wentz heading to Indianapolis, are evidence of that. It’s something to keep an eye on, but first the Houston Texans have to agree to trade Watson or engage in conversation about doing so, which they’ve said they won’t do.

Taking a quarterback in the draft is of course on the table. Bridgewater being the starter in 2021 is arguably the strongest possibility; his $23 million cap hit makes a trade for him less likely, despite any wishes from Carolina.

With regard to Bridgewater, she pretty much echoes what Voth was saying.

Edited by Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Still losing sleep over that eh?

Nah. Just curious why the “fairy tale” wasn’t confirmed yet again. 

What would keep me up nights would have been if I spent the majority of the season posting passing charts and pounding the table that Teddy was really a better QB than everyone was saying? Can’t imagine how ignorant that would make me feel. Definitely would lose sleep if I did something like that. 

1 hour ago, musicman said:

Teddy was also brought in because of the uncertainty with Cam and his health. Covid prevented us from seeing Cam up close when they needed to know if he was healthy. If they did, I have a feeling that might have rolled with him for last year without an extension.

Teddy was a good risk. Last year, he didn't have a O-line and CMC but more then that, Teddy hasn't played a full season in years. With no training camp to really get in football shape, I think he wore out towards the end. If he's our QB next year (draft pick or not), I can see a better Teddy with a better O-line and a healthy CMC and a better defense to get off the field on 3rd down. 

No offense.  ‘Better’  might be 7 and 9 with teddy and that’s his ceiling

I think we have all seen enough of the 7 and 9 Show  with multiple QBs 

Edited by raleigh-panther

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Teddy showing up next year knowing that literally no one wants to see him take another snap for the Panthers.

DefinitiveYellowKinkajou-max-1mb.gif

Meanwhile, the fanbase

z2W.gif

I don’t get trashing him in the media, like Tepper did, when you know you want, and NEED, to trade him at that point. That essentially ended any shot of some team taking him for any sort of return. Or having to include pick(s) to get a team to take that contract. Tepper was understandably pissed, but you don’t diminish an asset while he’s still on your roster. 

11 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I don’t get trashing him in the media, like Tepper did, when you know you want, and NEED, to trade him at that point. That essentially ended any shot of some team taking him for any sort of return. Or having to include pick(s) to get a team to take that contract. Tepper was understandably pissed, but you don’t diminish an asset while he’s still on your roster. 

Unfortunately for us, other teams saw him play too. 

2 hours ago, musicman said:

Teddy was also brought in because of the uncertainty with Cam and his health. Covid prevented us from seeing Cam up close when they needed to know if he was healthy. If they did, I have a feeling that might have rolled with him for last year without an extension.

Teddy was a good risk. Last year, he didn't have a O-line and CMC but more then that, Teddy hasn't played a full season in years. With no training camp to really get in football shape, I think he wore out towards the end. If he's our QB next year (draft pick or not), I can see a better Teddy with a better O-line and a healthy CMC and a better defense to get off the field on 3rd down. 

Won’t change a thing. Teddy will still be ultra conservative. Be terrible at long passes and probably only throw 15 TDs a season. He needs to go. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Unfortunately for us, other teams saw him play too. 

Like I said, he was “understandably” pIssed.  But announcing your frustrations to the rest of the league just shatters any value he might have had left. Just not something Tepper should be doing. Never tell the league you don’t want a player anymore. Doesn’t matter how right he was. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Like I said, he was “understandably” pIssed.  But announcing your frustrations to the rest of the league just shatters any value he might have had left. Just not something Tepper should be doing. Never tell the league you don’t want a player anymore. Doesn’t matter how right he was. 

He already didn't have any.

Just now, Toomers said:

Can’t really disagree. Just bad policy. Teddy was probably past the “leverage” worries already. 

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't think we really did a very smart thing by putting up a flashing neon billboard that we're desperate for a QB and done with Teddy, but I think that was pretty obvious simply by scouting us.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't think we really did a very smart thing by putting up a flashing neon billboard that we're desperate for a QB and done with Teddy, but I think that was pretty obvious simply by scouting us.

That covers it for me as well. 

• Pie 2